buying own fuel rod - how to bring it to wdw ?

pooh2001

been there, done that, TRYING to go back
per you-tube it says to buy a fuel rod from the fuel rod web site
for $20 you get a lithium fuel rod and some nice wire connection for phones and plugs plus a great plastic case

we will fly on a plane to wdw

can we pack the fuel rod in our carry on luggage ?

should we ship it in a box USPS to our resort ?

does it go in our checked luggage

please help
thank you :)

I also looked at the face book for fuel rods
It has discount codes of $2 off the cost
It may help to call them direct to get a code 844-383-5763

Thanks on the info on where to carry the fuel rod

Depending on when your trip is you may want to hold off a bit. After the whole fiasco with the $3 swap fee I really do question how long they will be around. For the $5 savings vs buying on site consider what you might end up with if they to fold. For a bit more money you might be much better off buying your own, higher capacity, charger and not worrying about Fuel Rod... just my thoughts.

Carryon!

Since your flying you can often find them at the airport kiosks as well (with all the accessories) for less than the Disney prices .... (especially now that they may be charging for exchanges).

Alternately if you don't mind taking the time to charge them at night just purchase your own portable charger, easily found on amazon, at Walmart/target etc. ! Either way Carryon is how you want to fly with them.

eta - Sorry Steve H I didn't read ahead but obviously ITA :)

per you-tube it says to buy a fuel rod from the fuel rod web site
for $20 you get a lithium fuel rod and some nice wire connection for phones and plugs plus a great plastic case

we will fly on a plane to wdw

can we pack the fuel rod in our carry on luggage ?

should we ship it in a box USPS to our resort ?

does it go in our checked luggage

please help
thank you :)
What is a fuel rod?

Depending on when your trip is you may want to hold off a bit. After the whole fiasco with the $3 swap fee I really do question how long they will be around. For the $5 savings vs buying on site consider what you might end up with if they to fold.

As I posted on a Dis fan FB page that I would not be surprised to see FuelRod go "out of business." There will be a company that takes it place of course but guess what? The initial outlay will be about $5 more and there will be a cost of "only" $1 to swap out chargers right from the get go. I also would not be surprised if you then looked deeper into it the new company will have the same or similar ownership as FuelRod

For a bit more money you might be much better off buying your own, higher capacity, charger and not worrying about Fuel Rod... just my thoughts.

I agree. I own a couple chargers for myself and DW. I have never had to re-charge more than once a day at the parks. If I had to re-charge 2 or three times I would think about getting a FuelRod. But before that I would either replacing my battery or my phone.

@Jimsig I agree 100% - a lifetime exchange model just can not be that profitable. When I heard that all the Fuel Rods are manually swapped and charged it made more sense why Disney, and others, would want a per swap fee. This is why I cautioned OP about buying, particularly if their trip is still several months off. I do hope that Fuel Rod manages to keep going, but I have my doubts. I think your scenario is very plausible.

Has anyone else noticed that Disney World doesn't show up in the Fuel Rod location search? US and SW both show up... I find that strange.

@Jimsig I agree 100% - a lifetime exchange model just can not be that profitable. When I heard that all the Fuel Rods are manually swapped and charged it made more sense why Disney, and others, would want a per swap fee. This is why I cautioned OP about buying, particularly if their trip is still several months off. I do hope that Fuel Rod manages to keep going, but I have my doubts. I think your scenario is very plausible.

Has anyone else noticed that Disney World doesn't show up in the Fuel Rod location search? US and SW both show up... I find that strange.

Likely part of the agreement between the two parties. Not an indicator of the future of either the company or the partnership.

We bought ours used for $15 on nextdoor.com then we sold for $20 when we got back.
Im going to buy another one before we go in march.

Likely part of the agreement between the two parties. Not an indicator of the future of either the company or the partnership.
Yeah that's what I assumed, still not sure why though... Disney does some strange things though.

Yeah that's what I assumed, still not sure why though... Disney does some strange things though.
If you dig into the fuel rod website, there is a disclaimer that not all locations are listed due to contractual reasons. Could be something as simple as not appearing to endorse a product. I worked for a large company once and we bought an IT product from a vendor. They put our company's logo on their website. I happened to notice it and casually mentioned it to my boss the company was told to remove our logo from their website as it was against company policy to appear to endorse a non-company product without going through certain processes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!