BWV location question

rutgersdeb

Oh hello, I didn't see you there!
Hi!
We are going to BWV for the first time in August, in a 2 bedroom standard view. Does standard view mean parking lot? What are the chances of getting a better view? Would it matter if we checked in early in the day? (even though we won't be able to get in the room til 4). Any suggestions for room requests?
Thanks!

Debbie

Yes standard is parking lot view or the end building towards MGM. We stayed in studio 3133 about the longest walk from the elevators you can get. :banana: :Pinkbounc :banana:

Standard view are pretty much overlooking the entrance. I've had one many times and like them. Even on the 2nd floor, we were able to see fireworks from epcot. If you're worried about the view, you can try to switch to a preferred view. Although, that will cost more points and there's no guaruntee that you'll like the view.

Best wishes.

This was the view from my Standard View:
bwv-pano.JPG

I was pretty far down the hall. To the right was the parking lot, but to the left is the front of the building. It's really not bad. I have a standard view studio booked for NYE.

That's a pretty nice view, Robin! We had a parking lot view at AKL a few years ago, and I hated it. There was nothing but cars and trees to see, but I couldn't pass up the 139 per night! I wouldn't mind your view at all. What was the room number?
Debbie

When we stayed at the BWV in August, we had a preferred view - but it seemed that the parking lots were pretty far away. So, even the standard views didn't seem like they would be directly over the cars.

Also - checking in early won't guarentee a better view. The only way to get a water/pool/garden view is to book the preferred view with more points. But - that view that robin posted above is great! You could fax or call the BW a few days before your stay and ask to be near or in that room! :flower:

I just got back yesterday from the boardwalk...first time as a DVC member :banana: ....we had preferred veiw.....we were as far away from the elevator you could get..we overlooked the quiet pool..but at the far end...the standard veiw was right beside us....the only request I made was near the elevators...and we were very far away :rolleyes: ...If I had a choice..i would either book boardwalk veiw or standard..we were lucky enough to be on the lobby floor so that helped....i did like the boardwalk villas even thought we were not near the elevators...the stairs helped....when I booked preferred was the only thing left....but standard would be OK to save points...and the boardwalk veiw looked awesome......... :goodvibes have fun...amy

rutgersdeb said:
That's a pretty nice view, Robin! We had a parking lot view at AKL a few years ago, and I hated it. There was nothing but cars and trees to see, but I couldn't pass up the 139 per night! I wouldn't mind your view at all. What was the room number?
Debbie

Debbie, I'm sorry about your AKL view :(. We booked a standard view there in July 2003 and they upgraded us to a savannah view. Of course, we paid for a savannah view the next time we stayed at AKL!

I'm sorry, I don't remember the room number ... even though we stayed in the exact same room twice! Once in 1999 and then again in 2002. My request (both times) was non-smoking, high floor, IllumiNations view.

ETA:

corvair said:
I just got back yesterday from the boardwalk...first time as a DVC member :banana: ....we had preferred veiw.....we were as far away from the elevator you could get..we overlooked the quiet pool..but at the far end...the standard veiw was right beside us....

My friends has that room last year! We booked at the 11 month window in a Boardwalk View. They dawdled and booked a regular Preferred View and ended up at the very end of the hall and then to the right. I really liked their view, though. It was very relaxing to sit on their balcony and watch the boats go by. Plus, they were pretty close to that walkway to the busses in my other picture and they could make it to the bus stop faster than we could.

Here's our Boardwalk View from last NYE:

BoardwalkView.jpg

I read somewhere that they were not honoring requests anymore. Is that true? If they still do, then I'm tellin them I want what Robin had!
Debbie :)

My room was really close to Robin B's room. We were 2115. It was a great location because you were close to the stairs that took you right out to the quiet pool, and also pretty far up the walkway for MGM. From this room we soon found it was much quicker to go down the stairs and walk to MGM, than walk out to the boat launch and take the boat. Of course, for Epcot you would just walk over from the BW.

I would not hesitate to go with a standard view again!

rutgersdeb said:
I read somewhere that they were not honoring requests anymore. Is that true? If they still do, then I'm tellin them I want what Robin had!
Debbie :)

Officially they are no longer pre-assigning rooms by date of reservation. They still try to fill requests if they can when you check-in.

I think the standard view boardwalk rooms are nice. We had view of Illuminations 3 times. You can even hear the music.

Thanks for all the replies so far! I always think "standard view" means "lousy view", but, at least for BWV, this definitely isn't the case! Everyone says the view doesn't matter, you don't spend much time in the room. I think that is true, but it makes me feel better when I can look outside and see something besides a parking lot!

JandD, what part of South Jersey are you from? I'm in Stratford (near Cherry Hill). No one ever knows where Stratford is!

Thanks again everyone! :)

Deb

Since I am in Cherry Hill, I DO know where Stratford is!

We have stayed in a standard view 3 times and never thought the view was objectionable. I would say that Robin's picture is a very accurate depiction of the view from the standard IF you are pretty far down the hall and on a higher floor. We used to request being close to the elevators, but now we actually prefer the view farther away from the front entrance.

Oh, I forgot, from the rooms down the hall, you do get a decent view of the Epcot fireworks, especially from the high floors.

Do you work at Rutgers? Drop me a PM if you have any other questions!

Standard view definitely does NOT necessarily mean a bad view. Last month we overlooked the "duck pond" from a 1-bd (rm. 2123) near the end of the building. It was a great view! The parking lot was so well screened with trees that it was hard to see any cars at all. We could see the canal and ToT off to our right and Illuminations fireworks off to our left. The pond has a fountain in the middle and the landscaping is lovely. It was very quiet - no road noise at all. There was nothing at all "bad" about it.

We actually prefer this view to some of the "better" ones. There was an entrance right below us, so we could often get around the long walk through the lobby.

DisFlan

DisFlan said:
We actually prefer this view to some of the "better" ones. There was an entrance right below us, so we could often get around the long walk through the lobby.

DisFlan

I agree. In fact, as we were walking out the stairwell toward the quiet pool, we looked around and noted how many of the "preferred view" rooms on the first couple of floors had bushes around them so, if you go on your patio or tried to look out the window, the only thing you would see is the overgrown bush.

I would be highly annoyed if I used up all the extra points for a "preferred" view of a bush and a walkway.

JandD Mom said:
I agree. In fact, as we were walking out the stairwell toward the quiet pool, we looked around and noted how many of the "preferred view" rooms on the first couple of floors had bushes around them so, if you go on your patio or tried to look out the window, the only thing you would see is the overgrown bush.

I would be highly annoyed if I used up all the extra points for a "preferred" view of a bush and a walkway.

Yes! We spent our first night in a 3rd floor preferred studio that overlooked the Luna Park pool - right across from the Scary Clown. (It was the only thing available at the last moment. We added a night to arrive before Wilma.) There was a huge tree that blocked out a clear view of almost everything. We were thrilled the next morning when we moved to our 1-bd standard "crummy" view. It was SO much better.

DisFlan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter