BYOS bring your own straw (Disney removing straws and more in 2019)

DVCcurious

DIS Veteran
Disney has banned straws in an effort to save the ozone layer.

I’m serious. 2018 is the last year for drinking straws. Now you’ll have to drink without a straw.

The world will be saved.....

One straw at a time.

Its good to see WDW providing a good alternative rather than outright banning straws. I personally love straws and before people get all self righteous about straw usage, plastic straws account for .03% of global plastic waste. Coporations like starbucks like to tout their phasing out of straws while continuing use of plastic cups and lids and some grocery stores claim they are saving the earth by getting rid of bags but are passing on the cost to shoppers by charging them for cloth or paper bags. Unfortunately it appears the bean counters at Disney appear to be headed down this path. I do my best to bring my reusable bags, recycle , and compost. I have no problem with paper straws but dont want to feel like a cheated consumer especially on a pricey wdw vacation. Buying souvenirs at disney is already expensive enough without the clerk upselling a cloth bag to go along with it.

Last edited:

I applaud any efforts to be conscious of how we're affecting our environment. At the end of the day it's going to take massive corporate changes to really start making differences, ie stop having vegetables wrapped in plastic with styrofoam etc

I always liked how paper straws were the only option at AK since it fits into the park's conservation theme. But it always struck me as a bit disingenuous since they didn't carry that over to the rest of the parks. I know things like contracts with suppliers aren't easy to get out of (and I'm sure plastic is cheaper), but it's nice to see Disney "going big" instead of "going home" on this one. Better late than never!

Its good to see WDW providing a good alternative rather than outright banning straws. I personally love straws and before people get all self righteous about straw usage, plastic straws account for .03% of global plastic waste. Coporations like starbucks like to tout their phasing out of straws while continuing use of plastic cups and lids and some grocery stores claim they are saving the earth by getting rid of bags but are passing on the cost to shoppers by charging them for cloth or paper bags. Unfortunately it appears the bean counters at Disney appear to be headed down this path. I do my best to bring my reusable bags, recycle , and compost. I have no problem with paper straws but dont want to feel like a cheated consumer especially on a pricey wdw vacation. Buying souvenirs at disney is already expensive enough without the clerk upselling a cloth bag to go along with it.

I think that this article does a decent job of showing why removing straws is an important first step. I agree that it is by far not where things need to end:
https://www.vox.com/2018/6/25/17488336/starbucks-plastic-straw-ban-ocean-pollution

It's worth noting that Disney is also getting rid of personal use plastic bottles of shampoo and soap in their resorts, as well as greatly cutting back on plastic bags. Yes, there will still be plastic toys, and food items will still be shrink-wrapped, and there will still be a multitude of other issues, but I am happy to see that we are at least starting somewhere. Just today the article about plastic bags being removed from the parks started a conversation between my wife and I about how we should start transitioning to using reusable bags when we shop at home.

I always liked how paper straws were the only option at AK since it fits into the park's conservation theme. But it always struck me as a bit disingenuous since they didn't carry that over to the rest of the parks. I know things like contracts with suppliers aren't easy to get out of (and I'm sure plastic is cheaper), but it's nice to see Disney "going big" instead of "going home" on this one. Better late than never!

I think technically the reason they had paper at AK was to protect the animals. Plastic straws frequently end up in animal enclosures and then animal stomachs. The zoos near us have been using them for at least a decade too. The conservation element was an additional benefit but not the primary reason which is probably why they weren't in other parks.

I agree with others that this is a decent step (even if just a drop in the ocean), but if Disney really wants to make an impact, and not just by jumping on the straw bandwagon, they should start looking at their merchandise packaging.

Anytime I buy a toy for DD, whether at the parks or at Target, I'm shocked by the wastefulness of the packaging, so many zip ties, plastic wraps, styrofoam, box parts, etc. All in the name of "merchandising" something so it looks appealing on the shelf.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter