BYOS bring your own straw (Disney removing straws and more in 2019)

https://twitter.com/Blog_Mickey/status/1042045318773321728

View attachment 352071

:faint:

Perhaps a good place to store the paper straws we will bring with us into the parks...

:rolleyes1
This has already received a lot of derision on FB comments regarding the announcement of the Ziploc bags being distributed, which is making me think that Disney have already shot themselves in the foot with the whole environmental virtue-signalling bandwagoning. That said, someone did counter the do-gooders' comments by saying that bags, including Ziploc bags, are reusable, even if it's often conflated with single-use, and that, as the article mentioned, Disney will provide recycling bins for those bags if people don't want them anymore, but personally, I'm going to save mine when I get one on Splash Mountain, in keeping with my personal policy of always saving plastic bags.

EDIT: Another article reporting on the Ziplocs being distributed has said that guests are already using the recycling bins provided, which is great news since there were fears people would still throw them away, and people were sceptical about whether or not people would use the recycling bin provided on Splash Mountain for the Ziplocs.

Last edited:
EDIT: Another article reporting on the Ziplocs being distributed has said that guests are already using the recycling bins provided, which is great news since there were fears people would still throw them away, and people were sceptical about whether or not people would use the recycling bin provided on Splash Mountain for the Ziplocs.
You're exactly right about this from what I read... but fears were unfounded and so premature. Disney has trash cans and recycling bins EVERYWHERE -- nothing to lead people to think they'd ignore the need for recycling near this distribution.

You're exactly right about this from what I read... but fears were unfounded and so premature. Disney has trash cans and recycling bins EVERYWHERE -- nothing to lead people to think they'd ignore the need for recycling near this distribution.
This is living proof that Disney can, indeed, introduce more plastic recycling in the Parks. Perhaps they should also expand that to carrier bags, even though I get the feeling that they're going to reduce the number given out somewhere down the line, and that, from what I can gather, people do reuse them at home, and some do recycle them in their local Walmart or whichever supermarket they go to, since not all municipal recycling schemes can handle 02/04 H/LDPE plastic carrier bags.

I just returned from our trip. In fact, I am still suffering from Vacation Hangover.

Every drink that I ordered came with a straw. And a lid. AK did not have lids. But there were plenty of paper straws available.

And many have indicated that no lids shouldn't be a problem. I did notice a much larger number of spills in AK than in other parks. I was intentionally looking out for spills or evidence of spills at all parks. AK and Epcot-Future World (Food and Wine kiosks) won with the most. I also noticed sticky floors at the DVC lounge. No lids there either.

For those who really prefer a lid, they make silicone ones:

($3.59 for 6!)
SCLH-EB96901_COFFEE_280_280.jpg

and they come in other colors, too:
SCLH-EB96901_160_160.jpg

https://www.opentip.com/search.php?...MIvsagzv2I3QIVgVuGCh2I2QM9EAkYBSABEgKNofD_BwE

Seems like they would be very light to pack and way easier to clean than straws!

But would they fit on the paper cups. Reading the reviews seems everyone is speaking on using these lids with real cups.

I wouldn't mind them at all if they did fit. I don't want to be carrying a bunch of mugs.

I'm happy to report that they do fit!

I ended up ordering some, and DS and I tested them on some cups from KFC last night:

silicone lid.jpg

Last edited:

Is there a pack mule in any Disney film? Trying to think of a theming tie-in... a mascot to guide everyone in how we will need to travel around WDW in the future... :upsidedow

Just got back. Most places had straws. Only place I couldn't get them was boardwalk and water parks. I did notice a lot of places did not provide lids. And unfortunately I became a statistic when I spilled my drink on my lap at satuli cantee.

@MaryLovesPoohBear did you see me? :laughing:

Our trip was 2-12 Sep 2018. No problem finding straws. We got cups of ice with lids at one location on one day. However, BOG had plenty of medium sized lids at the self-serve fountain. We stocked up and it came in handy. I did get jostled at a QS one time when taking meal from the counter to our table and a large soda flooded my tray (and the floor).

Our trip was 2-12 Sep 2018. No problem finding straws. We got cups of ice with lids at one location on one day. However, BOG had plenty of medium sized lids at the self-serve fountain. We stocked up and it came in handy. I did get jostled at a QS one time when taking meal from the counter to our table and a large soda flooded my tray (and the floor).

Did disney come to your aid with a new meal?

Did disney come to your aid with a new meal?

No need. I had 1/2 inch of Sprite in the tray, but only a few drops in the salad. I did immediately get a fresh drink and tray. I turned and took two steps from the counter. No complaints about that part of things.

No need. I had 1/2 inch of Sprite in the tray, but only a few drops in the salad. I did immediately get a fresh drink and tray. I turned and took two steps from the counter. No complaints about that part of things.
Seeing as I'm going in March, though at the very beginning of the month, if the straws definitely get replaced by then and the lids eliminated, as much as I'm not expecting that to happen because March isn't mid-2019 according to Disney's environmental announcement, I guess I'm going to have to be very careful, especially if I have my camera out.

We went to Disneyland early Sept, and had no trouble getting plastic straws. SeaWorld was a different story. No lids for cups, but paper straws, which worked OK. They'd give you a lid for a kids cup if you asked, but we got some dirty looks.

We went to Disneyland early Sept, and had no trouble getting plastic straws. SeaWorld was a different story. No lids for cups, but paper straws, which worked OK. They'd give you a lid for a kids cup if you asked, but we got some dirty looks.
The State of California recently passed a law limiting distribution of plastic straws. However, from what I can gather, it only covers TS-type restaurants, with QS-type restaurants being exempt, which is pretty much like how the bag ordinance in LA and the statewide bag ban exempt non-food stores from being required to use 2.25mil plastic or paper bags, and to charge for them.

Had no trouble acquiring straws and lids here too. The little paper cups of iced water never seem to come with them, though- stupidly carried a full cup all through MK from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland drinking all the way LOL

As someone who works with people with disabilities I am glad they came up with an alternative to the plastic straw without removing them all together. Because for some this is there only way to drink.

As someone who works with people with disabilities I am glad they came up with an alternative to the plastic straw without removing them all together. Because for some this is there only way to drink.
But is the alternative going to be satisfactory enough and not have too many drawbacks? Because I get the feeling that paper isn't always going to work with every disability, and really, they should be looking to bioplastic instead.

But is the alternative going to be satisfactory enough and not have too many drawbacks? Because I get the feeling that paper isn't always going to work with every disability, and really, they should be looking to bioplastic instead.
I haven’t personally seen them but have used different types of paper straws and yes some are awful but others are better.

I haven’t personally seen them but have used different types of paper straws and yes some are awful but others are better.
The Aardvark ones are great, but my biggest concern lies within how the en masse adoption of paper straws is going to lead to unintended environmental consequences due to the heavy carbon footprint and the amount of waste paper straw usage is going to generate. When I was trying to enjoy a cocktail in a bar a few months ago, I went through more than one paper straw just to finish off one drink, and it's made me think that if every business adopted paper straws, it'll only lead to more global warming and waste, though the waste problem is negated by the natural biodegradable properties paper has. However, this then leaves the problem of the greater environmental impact paper production has, and even with PCR pulp, if we end up consuming paper straws at the same rate as plastic, then the high demand is only going to accelerate global warming due to the high energy and logistics demand that paper yields, so something a lot more sustainable and on-par with plastics in terms of advantages, yet also naturally biodegradable, is what's really needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!