Cabin size question

Minnie368

DIS Veteran
So we’re looking at RCL for the first time. Have cruised twice on the Fantasy with DH and two children both of who will be adults- 21 and 18. On the Fantasy we booked deluxe family veranda. It was nice that DS and DD had their own bed even though just twin size. On RCL unless we book a suite it looks like in all the cabins for four they would have to share a double sofa bed. I just don’t see that working. Are there any ships with room types that would have a set up similar to what we had on the Fantasy or are we looking at needing to book a suite if I want them each to have their own bed?

We have 2 kids as well. Our first cruise on Anthem (kids were 11 and 13, so much smaller than yours) we had a balcony room and took an twin size air mattress. Put the mattress on the floor and 1 kid slept on the couch (not pulled out).
Our 2nd cruise on Adventure, we booked 2 rooms (both were interior), but you could book a balcony for you and DH and then an interior for the kids to share. Since they are adult age, they wouldn't need to be right across the hall, either. I think the net cost for the 2nd room was only around $500 extra than having 1 interior room with all 4 of us in it.

I think with a standard room or Junior Suite you're going to get either a pullout double or two singles. There are some suites with extra beds so that might work.

The other option is as dandemom suggested with the extra room

What ship? On Allure, we had a pull out sofa and a pullman in a promenade room. I think....we have booked similar on Oasis (but can't confirm yet). Note: There are only a few promenade rooms with this configuration, which you could tell on the old deck plans with the diamond symbol.

On Symphony, we had the sofa bed....but it's actually the sofa bed as single mattress with a pull out trundle (I.e. both kids both their own mattress). I believe Harmony is the same.

We were also able to book 2 connecting rooms on Navigator (promenade) and our upcoming Anthem cruise (virtual balcony), but it doesn't always work out financially to do this.

Last edited:

So we’re looking at RCL for the first time. Have cruised twice on the Fantasy with DH and two children both of who will be adults- 21 and 18. On the Fantasy we booked deluxe family veranda. It was nice that DS and DD had their own bed even though just twin size. On RCL unless we book a suite it looks like in all the cabins for four they would have to share a double sofa bed. I just don’t see that working. Are there any ships with room types that would have a set up similar to what we had on the Fantasy or are we looking at needing to book a suite if I want them each to have their own bed?
I would recommend using a travel agent for these types of questions. They have a lot of knowledge on the ships and layouts. With Royal these types of situations don’t seem to be easily accessible on their website or deck plans.

They definitely have bunk beds in the cabins.

Our default is two connecting cabins. On most cruise lines (ie all but DCL ;) the cost is reasonable and well worth it for the extra space, beds, bathroom, etc. We usually book through a TA when they have extra booking perks like obc, dining packages and gratuities for the first two guests in each cabin, so this doubles the perks as well.

Just off the harmony. Had a port hole view with two kids 7 and 5. the bed was a sofa with trundle so two twin beds essentially.

Just off the harmony. Had a port hole view with two kids 7 and 5. the bed was a sofa with trundle so two twin beds essentially.
I think Harmony and Symphony have this set up for their "sofa beds". It's great as each person gets their own mattress, and thus, separate bed.

There is a family cabin which has 2 bunk beds, a sofa bed and a king( two twins together) bed. It’s called extra spacious. It’s available in interior, ocean view and balcony I believe. I know it’s in Oasis class, and Independence class ships too. I’m pretty sure my sister booked it on mariner too. It only has 1 bathroom though and booking connecting cabins gives you two bathrooms.

There are lots of options on Royal ships! Ask your travel agent, and if they specialize in Royal Caribbean they should be able to tell you the bed setup in each type of room. There are some as described above, with a
sofa bed" that is actually a twin bed and trundle, there are rooms that have bunk beds but they are referred to as Pullmans, etc. You have to know the specifics of the room to know what you are actually getting.

I think Harmony and Symphony have this set up for their "sofa beds". It's great as each person gets their own mattress, and thus, separate bed.

Yup we had Ocean Balcony on hump (bigger balcony) and that was how ours was. So sofa is basically a twin bed and had a pull out twin bed underneath.

With two adult children I highly recommend the two room approach. Usually it comes out not much more expensive plus there's the bonus of two bathrooms and privacy. A TA can help you book a balcony for you and an interior across the hall, or connecting rooms if you prefer.

We are cruising on the Symphony in August, I am sharing a room with my 23 year old and the 18 and 16 year old have their own room. I took one look at the interior stateroom and there was no way I wanted to spend 7 days on top of each other like that.

Reactions: Joy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!