California fires

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big fire is in the Napa/Sonoma area (west of the SF bay) which doesn't affect DL

That's the big one and Burning Santa Rosa again :(

There's a smaller one in Santa Clarita in north LA.(tick fire) Still not close enough to affect Anaheim.

I was worried because I remembered the fire in 2017 that was close enough to make Disneylands sky appear orange from the smoke.

Last edited:
I remember the fire I was tracking it with the Cal fire web site, and I often look at the Matter cam to see if it is smoky at Disneyland. A wind driven fire can destroy sections of areas quickly, I do not remember the year but I remember when parts of Oakland burned, and more recently Paradise. My fear is that a fire gets out of control and burns part of Disneyland. My second worry is that it will be smoky when we are down there.

We are in Southern California and I’ve been wondering if they’ve cancelled the fireworks the last three nights, because according to Wunderground, Anaheim is part of the red flag warning.

I am in Norther California and to my surprise I saw the fire works last night through the Mattercam. It is often the winds that cancel the fire works.
At least this year most of the fires are a good distance away from Disneyland. I just looked at the Mattercam and the winds look strong so unless the winds die down tonight it is doubtful if they will have fireworks tonight.

Right now the closest large fires are at least 60+ miles away. That's not to say that things won't change because we've gone another red flag warning tonight and one on Wednesday I believe, but for now it's clear. California is a big state. So, even though these fires are massive and tragic, they're pretty spread out. Only thing I have to say is consider bringing an inhaler if you have asthma. Otherwise, you'll probably be fine. I live much closer to the Tick fire (not to mention down-wind) and I haven't smelled any smoke since Friday morning.

As for any fears of Disneyland burning, most of these fires are brush fires. That means they're in the hills or open areas and it would have to burn through a lot of city to get to Disneyland. There's always a chance of a small fire at Disneyland, but I was there when the area behind Small World was on fire a few years back. They have a fire department to take care of that.

It has been super windy here today. It’s an odd wind, though. Normally, Santa Ana’s bring really, really dry and warm weather. But the wind is cold and there are some really stubborn overhead clouds. It’s really odd weather for October, especially given how warm it was the last few days. But I think, given the winds and cloud cover, fireworks will be a no-go tonight. I am really hoping they will go off, because my 12 year old (who can’t handle the crowds and waiting for fireworks) is determined to see the Halloween ones, but hopefully she will be satisfied with the projections.

I was worried because I remembered the fire in 2017 that was close enough to make Disneylands sky appear orange from the smoke.
In 2017, the fire was in the Canyon fire, and it was in the area of Orange. I had friends and relatives evacuated for that fire. It was very close to Disneyland.

The closest fire currently is the Tick fire, which is about 70 miles away, and won't be noticed in Anaheim.

The fires in Sonoma are 450-500 miles north of Anaheim.

Just here to follow along. we're supposed to be flying into San Fransisco this coming Friday night, and are booked in Disneyland for Sunday night, Monday and Tuesday. Then Wednesday, thursday and Friday we'll be doing some site seeing on our way back up to SFO before we fly home first thing Saturday. I'm more worried about the beginning and end of our trip (in SF and between SF and DL) and hoping the smoke from the fire up there doesn't affect it too much....

We were at DL last night for dinner and Halloween Screams. We didn’t have smoke, but we knew they likely wouldn’t do the full show. It was a nice surprise that they set quite a few of the smaller fireworks and castle pyrotechnics off throughout the show, but none of the bigger fireworks were set off. Decent compromise to appease guests while keeping everyone safe!

It's just been (7am) reported on our local news (No Cal) that the 405 Fwy is closed southbound due to the Getty fire.

I'm not exactly sure where the closure is as our local news didn't say, but as the fire is apparently near the Getty museum I expect it's closed somewhere near that area.

Update: closed from approx Mountaingate & Sepulveda intersection to Sunset Bl. Traffic through LA is going to be (even more) hellacious today.

Last edited:
Update: closed from approx Mountaingate & Sepulveda intersection to Sunset Bl. Traffic through LA is going to be (even more) hellacious today.
For those wondering where this is in relation to DL, its about 40 miles to the northwest of DL/DCA.

It's just been (7am) reported on our local news (No Cal) that the 405 Fwy is closed southbound due to the Getty fire.

I'm not exactly sure where the closure is as our local news didn't say, but as the fire is apparently near the Getty museum I expect it's closed somewhere near that area.

Not shocked. There's soo much dead brush up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!