California Grill Question?

Naisy68

DIS Veteran
Hello - I was just talked into getting a PS for the California Grill for my DH and I. My question is, We are very picky eaters. We'd like to eat a normal steak with potatoes and no funny sauces or anything. The CM was very persuasive and explained to me that the view is wonderful and shouldn't be missed. Will we like it? I know that we would love to see the view but our ressies are for 9:30. I think I might change them to 8:45 if possible. Do you think that they would be offended if we just went in there for dessert? I'm just not sure about this one. I read the menu and I didn't recognize a thing. HELP?!

The food is unbelievable...and the view is even better. If you don't know what to order go with the pork loin...it is great. You will not be dissappointed

Thanks for your reply! = I'd like to hear from others too please so I'm bumping this one up.

I definitely recommend the pork loin as well, but if you want a plain steak and a baked potato, ask for exactly that and you'll get it. :) Disney restaurants are very accommodating when it comes to special requests and understand picky eaters - believe me, the list of foods I won't eat is long and distinguished!

The CG's menu is very American, but I wouldn't call it basic. No, you won't get fancy sauces, but it is quite a few steps above the fare served at your average steakhouse. C'mon, it's a vacation: be adventurous! :)

Check out the menu at Deb Willis' site. It changes weekly but the basics stay the same. If nothing turns you on, check out the Concourse Steakhouse also at the CR.

Maybe you could post which menu items you were unfamiliar with and we could help? Sometimes item decriptions seem fancy but when you break it down it's still and meat a veggie dish. Or a pasta dish. I'm sure that they will make you the filet without the sauce. They are very accommodating. It's a excellent restaurant, you should give it a try.

Originally posted by wdw_dine_junkie
Maybe you could post which menu items you were unfamiliar with and we could help? Sometimes item decriptions seem fancy but when you break it down it's still and meat a veggie dish. Or a pasta dish. I'm sure that they will make you the filet without the sauce. They are very accommodating. It's a excellent restaurant, you should give it a try.

An excellent suggestion!

Originally posted by keddy
Niasy, Just returned from Disney yesterday. Had a great trip. We too had priority seating for CG for 9:30. We got there at 8:45 and watched the fireworks from the bar while we waited for our table. It was a fabulous view. Then we looked at the menu and realized there was nothing on the menu that appealed to us. We are simple meat and potato type people who do not like fancy stuff. We told the hostess that we wanted to cancel our ps and she was happy to do so. We went to the Concourse steakhouse on the 4th floor of the Contemporary from there. While they had a hard time getting the steak cooked the way we like there (DF had to send his steak bank four times b/c it kept coming out bright pink when he wanted it medium well). But, I think we had an isolated experience there. The CG menu is very fancy and if you are simple eaters I would not spend the money (it is about $25 an entree). Try O'hana's at the Polynesian. We were not there at firework time, but I hear you can see them very well from there. The food is great. It is an all you can eat steak, pork, turkey and shrimp. It is not a buffet, the cm serve you and the food is excellent.

You'r enot the first to have a bad experience witth steak at the Concourse Steakhouse; there's a thread on this page in which a poster complains about ALSO having to send his steak back two or three times before the kitchen got it right. I'd stay away from CG for dinner and try it for lunch. Their burgers are superb.

As for the California Grill, try it! The menu describes items in highfalutin terms that might tyrn you off, but you're in for one of the best meals in Disney - with or without the view! Check out the menu on Deb Willis' site www.wdwig.com and nif there's something you don't understand we'll translate! :)

Hey All! I just wanted to say thanks for all of the replies. We have decided to check it out for sure. We will probably ask the waiter to "plain jane" our food a bit. I was able to change our PS to 8:20, I know the fireworks are at 10:00 that night so I think 8:20 should be a good time. If we do finish eating, we will hang out a bit until after the fireworks.
Thanks for you advice! --Renee

Dont think you will have a problem. Have to add my compliments regarding the pork loin. At this time they do offer a beef filet, just ask your waiter to put the sauce on the side. I also know the chefs are very willing to work with guest if they just want something a little more basic. Took my Dad there and he is a steak and potato guy too, they were great with him. He was able to get a filet and baked potato, some vegi as well.

Have to say he love Yachtsmans Steakhouse. When they visit at xmas or Thanks we always have our holiday meal there.

Keep the ressie! You will love the view and the food is amazing. The pork loin is delicious. On our last trip, I had the beef filet. It is supposed to come with a barbeque sauce, I believe, but I had no problem not getting the sauce. I don't eat any kind of dinner food that has a sweetness to it.
Our service has always been excellent and this is why we will always eat at CG at least once every trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter