California trip-DLR, Universal, LA, Northern California

Thanks for sharing your experience with WB studio. We’re planning to do the studio tour at Universal, so I wasn’t sure how different WB would be. It’s good to hear it’s worthwhile. I’ll talk it over with the kids and see what they think.
We did both. I would say they are pretty different. WB is more comprehensive and more of an actual studio tour. Universal is more of a "theme park ride". While they do still do some filming on the Universal back lot, WB is a full blown studio with much more TV and movie activity. We actually saw people working as we drove by and through things (I remember one soundstage had doors wide open and there were a ton of workman inside building some type of set), we saw dressing trailer areas, people going in and out, etc.

Universal is about 45- 60 minutes. They told us they do still do some filming back there. It is a mostly set script on a mostly set path with a lot of people on your tram. It is very enjoyable and you do get to see real set areas. It can vary some if they are actually filming or holding an event etc. We were hoping to see the Back to the Future Clock tower area, but they were doing something back there that day and we did not get to see it. The tour is all tram from what I remember- I don't think you ever get out of the vehicle (unless you do a VIP tour). There are some "ride" type elements during the tour that are fun.

WB is about 2.5-3 hours, not counting how much time you spend at the exhibits, area, activities at the end. I looked back at our photos, and it looks like we spent over 4 1/2 hours there - but in the end area we did all the paid Harry Potter photos/videos, DD did the Friends scene filming, we did lunch in the cafe because we were all starving, shopped in the store etc. DD loved it and didn't want to leave. During the tour, you get on and off the cart to explore and walk through the backlot, exhibits, other buildings etc. It can vary due to what is filming and where things are filming. It isn't so much a completely canned speech. There are a lot less people in the cart than on the universal tram, so there is a lot of back and forth and a lot of questions and answers along the way. There are some museum type areas during the tour, and also at the end of the tour with things from different shows, I don't know how often those change out. I know the Harry Potter one is permanent. There was also a lot of D.C. stuff when we were there Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and we saw stuff from movies like A Star is Born and Crazy Rich Asians. You will see things from lots of types of movies and shows from different time periods- golden age like The Music Man, up through current things (I've heard they currently show the outside of Abbott Elementary). On the tram we were asked at the beginning what shows we liked out of several shows the guide named, and it was tailored some to the favorite of a lot of people on the tram (Lots of Gilmore Girls on our tram). Even if a just one family named a certain show, as we went through our guide would point out things from that show for that family-- just didn't talk about it in as much detail as the group voted favorite. We got to tour a prop warehouse and the All American Show soundstage set. At the area at the end, you can self explore as long as you want and along with other things they have recreated the Friends coffee shop and Sheldon's apartment from Big Bang Theory- mostly with the actual set pieces (Friends couch wore out and was replaced).

Last edited:
I will add I was massively disappointed in the Universal tram tour and the WB tour totally made up for it. When we went, the tram wasn't able to go down to the Back to the Future town square as it was being prepped for a show. Super disappointing as I had wanted to visit that since I was a kid. We didn't get to go through the King Kong portion as it was either not working or being refurbed. We did get the Earthquake station but now that's going down for refurbishment. Our tour guide wasn't great. He kept having audio problems. It just was a let down overall.

We got a kick out of seeing the Cafe Tabitha at WB. It was something we drove by and the tour guide pointed it out because it's the lone remaining Casablanca set. We jumped off the couch when we were watching Shrinking and recognized it as the cafe two of the characters were eating out in front of. Now we're looking out for it and the other sets in shows and commercials we see.

Last edited:
We’re planning to take the 101 from Malibu to Monterey. The only time we’re driving on Hwy 1 is when we drive from Monterey down to Bixby Bridge. How bad is the stretch from Monterey to Bixby Bridge? If I feel comfortable enough, we’ll drive across the bridge and down to Pfeiffer, but the thought of it terrifies me. If we were to stop at Morro Bay on the way north, how is the drive on 41 and the stretch of Hwy 1 between San Luis Ebispo and Morro Bay? Looking at maps it seems pretty level.
The drive between San Luis Obispo and really all the way up to Monterrey County (San Carpoforo Beach/Ragged Point) is very picturesque and mellow. It gets - interesting from there. I would still go north on Hwy 1 to at least the elephant seals just south of the Piedras Blancas lighthouse. There are usually 100s of elephant seals on the beach there and you barely have to get out of your car to see them. From there, if you are feeling adventurous keep on going, it's well worth it, but if not you can backtrack and take the 46 back over to the 101, maybe stop in a winery or two. There are several little coastal towns between Morro Bay and the 46 and they are all good stops. I prefer Cambria, but Cayucos has its own charm too. Atascadero and Paso Robles are both great places to stop if you go that way.

If you do think you will do the drive up through Big Sur, I would recommend staying in Cambria and starting out in the morning so you can make frequent stops and enjoy the ride. Cambria is gorgeous and has a bunch of places to stay along Moonstone drive that are ON the beach. Hearst Castle in San Simeon is also great, and IMHO, a better look at "old Hollywood" than you will get anywhere else.

One other thing now that I look at a map; I would stay on the 101 north of Santa Barbara and up to San Luis Obispo. The 1 through Lompoc is just not all that interesting and takes a lot longer.

As @bcla said, in So Cal you use the number only, THE 5, THE 405, THE 101 etc. In No Cal it's INTERSTATE 5, HIGHWAY 101 etc. The only thing more baffling about the difference is how adamant people are about it. Generally people in No Cal hate So Cal, but people in So Cal just think No Cal is a nice place to spend a long weekend.

Just a few more thoughts.

There are some interesting spots on the way. You don't have to spend a whole lot of time in these places, but there is Solvang, which is stylized Danish architecture everywhere. I haven't really been there other than going through on an Amtrak bus connection. It seems kind of random, but there's a history to the place where they were interested in bringing in tourists.

99b9e1b53eb1167424fcb9e67cbd29fe66495459923f14a11b4593d7c7af8d1f.jpg

Another place to consider is the Madonna Inn. It's really hard to describe other than it's eclectic.

https://www.madonnainn.com
https://www.madonnainn.com/viewrooms

This is the Caveman Suite:

137-Caveman.jpg
If you stop at the Madonna Inn, be sure and tour the Men's Bathroom downstairs. Yes, even if you are a girl. Just have a guy step in and make sure it's empty - everyone does it.

If you can, schedule your stop in San Luis Obispo for a Thursday night. They shut down Higuera Street and hold a farmers market every Thursday. It's very cool, and just happens to be where I met my wife :) YMMV...

"-On the drive up to SF, we’re planning to stop in Malibu, Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach, and San Luis Obispo, spending the night there. Is Santa Barbara worth visiting? Should we consider Ojai?"

I love Santa Barbara for many reasons. It is very walkable and lots of good food and drink. Many breweries if that is your thing too. I love Ojai and don't live too far from it but it's kind of a quiet, artsy enclave. Older folks and arsty folks. The kids 19-27 you said? may not be into it.

If you stop at the Madonna Inn, be sure and tour the Men's Bathroom downstairs. Yes, even if you are a girl. Just have a guy step in and make sure it's empty - everyone does it.

If you can, schedule your stop in San Luis Obispo for a Thursday night. They shut down Higuera Street and hold a farmers market every Thursday. It's very cool, and just happens to be where I met my wife :) YMMV...
My grandparents used to live in SLO and took us there for dinner one time. We had about 10 people admiring the urinal haha! My uncle stayed in the caveman room once also so I got to play around in there as a kid.

All things Big Sur here - road closings, local info, Caltrans links, pics - everything.

https://bigsurkate.blog/

The most spectacular drive on the North American continent. TAKE YOUR TIME and make use of the many pulloffs to take pics and video, especially at Bixby Bridge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter