• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calling all timeshare experts (Dean and others)

DaveO

Mouseketeer
First - I tried to do a search but was unsucessfull .....

I am thinking of dumping my Vero and some BWV points to buy another timeshare. I have a total of 450 so can spare a few. I have read posts here about buying resale and the exchange power being very important.

We really like the Carolinas .. Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head but want to use the timeshare to exchange for places like Aruba and Hawaii. My questions are basicaly what are the things I should look for in a resale. I am looking for the same high quality as DVC. Where should I buy? I have 2 young boys so would be traveling in peak seasons for the next 15 years. I am partial to the Marriots but do not know how they trade and if something could be found same quality and lower price. I want a flexable system and not tied to certain week. Any advice or opinions of other Vacation Clubs / Systems would be appreciated. Are there ANY pros with buying with the developer?

Thanks !!

Dave O.

I own several Timeshares so I might be of a little help. My biggest recommendation is to buy resale not through the developer. There may be exceptions to that but resales can be had for pennies on the dollar compared to developers. I own Royal Resorts and Marriott, both resales. The Royal I use because they are the best in the business IMO. I only do internal trades with that. I own a Marriott Grande Ocean 2 bedroom gold season that I picked up for about $6500. I mainly use that to trade. I've traded to other Marriots and other resorts in Hawaii and the Carribean. Works out well.

Only thing that happens if you buy Marriott resale is that you are not eligible for Reward points if you wanted to cash your week into those. I've found that is a poor value IMO anyway so I haven't missed that option. Other than that you are treated the same.

Another option is buying a cheap fixed week resale during a low season. Those low season fixed weeks can be had cheap and simply deposited into II for trades each year. Some are very succesful if they know how to play the game.

Good luck,

Jay

First - I tried to do a search but was unsucessfull .....

I am thinking of dumping my Vero and some BWV points to buy another timeshare. I have a total of 450 so can spare a few. I have read posts here about buying resale and the exchange power being very important.

We really like the Carolinas .. Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head but want to use the timeshare to exchange for places like Aruba and Hawaii. My questions are basicaly what are the things I should look for in a resale. I am looking for the same high quality as DVC. Where should I buy? I have 2 young boys so would be traveling in peak seasons for the next 15 years. I am partial to the Marriots but do not know how they trade and if something could be found same quality and lower price. I want a flexable system and not tied to certain week. Any advice or opinions of other Vacation Clubs / Systems would be appreciated. Are there ANY pros with buying with the developer?

Thanks !!

Dave O.
I would concur with JTimbers advice. For this situation I would make sure I got an II or dually affiliated resort. Marriott is nice because they have resorts in the areas you want to go, are high quality and you have the internal trading preference. I'd look for a high quality but mid season Marriott such as Gold at Ocean Point or Platinum at Manor Club and a lockoff will be a major plus. You may also want to look at systems that have the places covered you want such as Worldmark, Bluegreen and Fairfield.

My best advice is to buy something you will use part of the time and spending a good 6 months on TUG investigating timeshares in general and what's best for you.

My best advice is to buy something you will use part of the time and spending a good 6 months on TUG investigating timeshares in general and what's best for you.
AMEN!

Can't help you much on specific east coast properties/clubs -- but attributes to look for might include:
  • Related resorts. Look for a purchase that gives reservation advantages across a family of related resorts. The relationship might a points-based club from a single developer; an internal trading advantage based on a common management company; or an internal trading advantage based on the developer.
  • Dual affiliation (RCI/II).
  • Stable dues history.
  • Stable management history.
  • High demand location and season. (I'm not an advocate of buying a low season weeks. I prefer to purchase the highest demand weeks for the resort's location -- especially for resorts charging the same dues rates across the year. And for traders -- I prefer strong fixed weeks over float.)
  • Day use. If you are purchasing a resort near your home ... you might consider asking if they invite local owners to use the pools, fitness center or recreational features on a day-use basis.
  • Bonus time. Again, if the resort is within an easy driving distance, look for one offering discounted cash rates for nightly stays on last minute availability. (One of our west-coast club offers us rates as low as $30/night for rooms booked less than 14-days from arrival.)
  • Exchange flexibility. Any number of twists in the exchange games: Search first (searching w/out having to deposit your week); discounted reservations during the last minute windows for both RCI/II; lock-off units; etc.
  • Flexible reservation options. The ability to split a week's stay across two shorter stays; ability to book weekend stays; etc.

Not every feature will be important to you ... nor are you likely to find all features in a single purchase. Consider the value of each attribute to your needs and zero in on resorts offering the best return based on your intended use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter