Came back :( - lots of info

momshark

<font color=purple>My family has been giving me th
Well, sadly we had to come home on Monday night, the 5th. Our trip to WDW was fabulous!! I give most of the credit to all of the great people on these DIS boards who shared so many fabulous ideas and tips. I want to share with all of you some of our experiences and also some of my thoughts and observations while at WDW.

Transportation: We took a Tiffany Towncar from the airport to POR. Our driver met us at the bottom of the elevator, found us a sky hop and helped load the bags into the car. Next, we stopped at Publix for a half hour so we could pick up water, granola bars, bananas, and some other quick snack/breakfast foods. I also used a coupon that was in the Passporter for the transportation. On the return trip we had the same driver. I tipped him $10 each time. This was much better than the shuttle bus transport we have taken in the past.
….Bus transportation at POR was great. We got on and off at the West Depot every time except once. It seemed like the WD was the first to be picked up and second drop off. The busses came very quickly, within about 15 minutes. One day we had taken the monorail to the GF to catch a bus to AK and we waited over 45 minutes for a bus, and that was only the second bus to come through!!

Resort: We arrived at POR at 11:15 a.m. expecting to check in, leave our bags, and visit a park before we actually got our room. However, the nice folks at POR had a room all ready, so off we went. Unfortunately, the room smelled of too much carpet powder (the flowery kind) and once the girls took off their sneakers and walked around in their socks we found out why. The air conditioner must have had a leak because the carpet, and now the girls’ socks were soaked. When the bellhop arrived with our luggage a few minutes later I mentioned the problem and he got right on the phone and got us a new room. As we were leaving two maintenance men were coming in to fix the AC. Our new room was great – close to a quiet pool and the west bus stop. POR was so great, with yummy food, fabulous pools and shady landscaping.
Our Mousekeepers made coming back in the evening so exciting. I did tip each morning ($5 for 4 of us), which may have helped. My DS’s little animals were always in a new pose; even our toothbrush cup was decorated. So sweet! :D

DISney Magic: Thank you again to everyone who told their secrets for ways to create special magic for the children. My DS (6) was able to wake up Tinkerbell, our family rode in the front of the monorail, we took time to try the Chinese sticks (?) in China, see the living statue in Italy, had great viewing areas for all the parades and fireworks, and looked for hidden Mickeys while waiting in line or going past certain areas.

Hidden Mickeys: Once my DS got the hang of what we were looking for he had eagle eyes. Here are some Hidden Mickeys that we found, with credit given to the “finder”:
The back of recycled napkins has a small Mickey head in the center of the recycle circle, I think there were also Mickey hands that made up the circle. Found by my DD (13).
As you come into Morocco from the Japan side, there is a shop on the right toward the lake that had its doors wide open. On one of the doors there are 3 brass plates that are arranged in the classic (?) Mickey head. Found by Eagle Eyes.
On the Figment ride “Journey into the Imagination” you go into this room that is all upside down. Everything is upside down, but up on the ceilings. Look up on the right hand side, there is a kitchen table, on it is a plate that we are pretty sure had 3 onion rings (?) arranged in a Mickey head. Found by Me :D. If you go soon, could someone please confirm this?
Eagle Eye also checked every manhole cover and water pipe for Mickey heads. Nine times out of ten there was a Mickey head on it!

Parks: We were there from June 28 until July 5 and the parks were much less crowded than I expected. We only waited a long time for 2 rides: 45 minutes for Kali River Rapids on June 30 and one hour for Test Track on July 4. We did use Fast Passes if we would be in the area of the ride around the return time, if not then we only waited if it was a must do ride such as TT or KRR. Of course, we did MK and Epcot early in the week. On the 4th we finished up stuff we had missed at Epcot, then at 3:00 we took the International Gateway boat over to MGM for some catch up and Sorcery in the Sky. MGM was not packed at all – good for us!!
Rides we did twice: Test Track, all of us – Rockin’ Rollercoaster, the girls (12 & 13)

Food: We ate a quick breakfast of cereal bars, juice, etc. in the room each morning and one sit down meal almost every day, with snacks and plenty of water in between. Here’s where we ate:
Monday, June 28 – Hollywood and Vine – excellent buffet, Fantasmic at 9:30
Tuesday, June 29 – dinner at POR Riverside Mill
Wednesday, June 30 – Chef Mickey’s for breakfast – another yummy, and fun! meal,
Riverside Mill for dinner
Thursday, July 1 – dinner at Riverside Mill
Friday, July 2 – Rose and Crown – only worth it for the front row seats to Illuminations -
a kid’s soda with a glowing ice cube was $6! but the kids were happy, oh
so worth it!
Saturday, July 3 – dinner at Planet Hollywood in DD singing and dancing with all the
guests and wait staff was a blast!
Sunday, July 4 – no waiting for dinner at the Sci-Fi Dine-In Restaurant, glowing ice
cubes again ;)

THE BEST PART: When we got home we had so many great stories to tell Daddy that he was feeling pretty bad about not coming with us in the first place, soooooo he gave the OK and I have just reserved our plane tickets for a trip back to WDW in April!!! Hoooray!!!

Please ask me any questions that you might have. I’d be happy to share as you have all done. Here’s hoping you all return to the Happiest Place on Earth real soon! :D

Momshark - sounds like you had a flawless trip!!! It sounds very encouraging to those of us about to leave for the world!!! I'm glad you had a good time. Looks like you answered all my questions in your report. Excited for you getting to go back again in April!!!:jumping1:

Thank you for sharing, and I had to read your part about your dh - my dh was going to spend 2 weeks at Boy Scout Camp (volunteering) and then only 2 days (of our 7) at wdw... I kept reading all the stuff here, and one time dd just said I cant believe you dont want to stay with us in Hawaii!! He changed his plans and is now going with us!! He grinned when I read your report!!

PS Remind me again where to ask if Tink has been awakened? (I thought I wrote it down!!)

My DS and I jogged the Main Street mile at the early park opening of MK, 8 a.m. You go straight back through the center of the Castle then on your left as you come out there is Tinkerbell's Shop. You just have to ask the CM there if you could please wake up Tink. We knew that we were the first ones there. I was so surprised that my son wanted to do this, but he was so enchanted with the magic.... It was priceless. I was crying. So sorry that Daddy missed out on something that can never be recreated.
Best wishes that you get there.

momshark,
It sounds like you had a great trip! And... you get to go again in April! Hooray for you!

One question... I am hoping that my DD6 is able to wake up tinkerbell. I read that you jogged there. Were there others wanting to do this after you arrived to the shop? Do you know if the CM's let more than one child do this per day? Did your DS get a certificate or anything?

Thanks!

Your room sounds great. We will be traveling down to POR in Aug. Can you tell me what bldg and room # you were in so we can "map out " a nice quiet room for our trip. Thanks! Have fun in April.

Thanks for the good info! I was happy to hear that the parks were not too crowded. I know that your post DW blues can't be to bad if you are planning another trip!!

We are off to the World in two days!

Thanks!
:wave2:

So glad you liked POR - we're going there for the first time in 5 days. Good news about the bus transportation I was a little worried. I always heard that the bus stop at the main center was the first stop - is this wrong? Also I'm hoping so much to let my girls wake up Tinkerbelle. One will be celebrating her 7th birthday and the 5 year old was born to be a princess! Did many other people come in to ask after you did it? I'm hoping not that many people know about it so we might have a chance.

Wow, sounds like a great trip!

Anything else to say about Hollywood and Vine? What kinds of food were available, etc.? I'm doing the Fantasmic! package this fall, but still can't decide where to have it.

Thanks, and glad you had such an awesome time!

N.E.D.

Great questions! I don't mind answering at all....

Tinkerbell - Only one child per day gets to do this (I believe it is the first one to arrive in the morning) and yes, he got a certificate which we sent over to the hotel so we wouldn't ruin it during the day. No, we didn't see any other people who seemed to know about waking up Tink. Actually, jogging added to the excitement, but we also passed a few parents and kids who did show up later (20 minutes +) at Tink's shop but I didn't hear anyone inquire about waking her up. We were even able to wait a few minutes for the girls (DD & BF) who had all of our gear to arrive before DS woke up Tink. When we were waiting for MK to open my DS kept saying "Mom, I want to hurry to Splash Mountain." Then he would keep winking at me because I told him not to let anyone hear him say he was going to see Tink. I figured that this is a well kept and privileged (sp?) secret. ;)

POR room - #2806 in building 28 in Alligator Bayou. Rooms 2805 - 2808 are all along that side, bottom floor. (#2822 was the first room we had, with the wet carpet.) Although, I think that they way all of the buildings were spaced out they are all quiet except maybe for #14 which was closest to the main lobby, or if your room is really close to a pool. Beware, there is A LOT of walking to be done. We used a stroller for DS at all times. I only carried food on a tray back to the room once, never again. It was too heavy with 4 sodas and food on it.

POR bus - I am not sure if Disney changes their bus routes or not, but it always seemed like the West Depot was the first pick up and second drop off. There was only one instance the whole week that the bus was completely packed and had to leave a few people behind, but this was NOT at POR. I think it was picking up at Typhoon Lagoon to return to POR.

I hope you all have as great of a time as we did. My suggestion is to have a general, but flexible, plan of where you want to be each day with a list of must sees/dos that you are willing to go all out for. For instance, we were going to check out in the morning of our last day, store our bags, and go to Blizzard Beach, then return to the hotel to shower and dress at the pool house. However, this would have been way too hectic, so we opted to spend the morning and early afternoon at Downtown Disney.
Also, we knew that we would be spending two days at certain parks so we only concentrated on seeing half of that park each day. This made touring more relaxing and got us back to POR early to be in bed before 9 or 10.

Again, have fun and I hope your dreams come true!

Hollywood and Vine had 2 buffets, one for adults and one for kids. My big kids could go to both, and did. The adult foods ranged from choices of breads, salads, peel and eat shrimp, hot foods such as salmon filets, different chickens, carved meats, and sides such as Italian green beans, roasted veggies, and much more....
The kids' buffet had chicken nuggets, hot dogs, corn, etc...
There was also a fabulous dessert and ice cream bar.
Oh, you can also eat all you want and go back up as many times as you want.
Like on a cruise, I think I would have gained 5 pounds last week if not for all of the walking.:p

Hope this helped you in your decision.:D

Thanks for all of the information and answering my question about Tink. It sounds like you had a great trip! :D

Thanks for all of the information on your wonderful trip!:sunny:

Thanks so much for all the info! We'll be there in September and I can't wait!

I made a note of waking Tink up - I hope we get to do it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter