Camera experts....

ddisney333

#1 fan of Maleficent....
What speed film do you recommend for a Disney vacation? I have APS Camera. We will be taking pictures of the kids, fireworks, kids on rides, characters etc. Any help is appreciated.

I'm by no means an expert, but we use 400 speed on our Advantix camera. Die-hard camera experts will tell you that the faster speeds yield grainier shots, but that's really only if you enlarge them really big. 400 is great because it works well when you're moving, and you can use it in a wide variety of lighting levels (with the flash if it's dark). Slower speed films give slightly crisper pictures (with some blurring in the background), but they have to be used in areas with good lighting and little or no movement.

800 (without the flash) is necessary for fireworks or rides that don't allow flashes, but you'll be able to get enough shots to capture your vacation on film with 400.

Buy about twice as much as you think you'll need before you go. Advantix film is extremely expensive at WDW. You'd be better off buying extra and having to throw a few rolls away because they expired than buying many rolls there.

I just wanted to agree...I think 400 speed film is the way to go. I used to always use 200. One year I bought some 400 and 800 to try out. The 400 was an improvement, but I was disappointed in the photos that I took with 800. Between the upgrade in film and a new camera, the pictures I've taken in the last year have been great!

I have used 400 and 200. I think that I like the 400 but I never get the pics enlarged more than 5x7. I guess if you were going larger they may get grainy. That is what I hear but I am an ameture and not very good so I am happy with my 400 because of the shots you can take while on the move. I did have terrible shots of the fireworks with 400 so I would get 800 and take the whole roll . You can get shots of the parades at night and they come out great.

I use Fuji 800 speed film for just about everything. Today's fast films are so good, grain isn't that much of an issue anymore. Having a fast film gives you maximum flexibility for day/night, indoor/outdoor pictures.

I agree with taking twice as much film as you thing you'll need. It's much cheaper to buy before you leave home.

The higher the speed, 400 to 800, the grainier the pictures. The lower the speed, the smaller the grain. Use the higher speed for darker conditions and the lower speed for brighter conditions. To take pictures of fireworks, the shutter has to remain open for a longer period of time, so hand held pictures of fireworks are very diificult to take. One more tip, flash pictures should be done at closer ranges. The farther the subject is from the flash, the weaker the light becomes. The recommended distance is 7 to 10 feet max. I hope this helps. :)

Thanks Dana, You helped me alot. I was just going to purchase my film. I always buy Kodak but someone posted not to buy it at Wlmart I want to know why. I have purchased film there alot.

Perhaps the person has purchased film that was "stale" or past it's purchase date. Walmart's Kodak and Fuji film should be just fine as long as it's not too old. :)

These were taken with Fuji 400. I would recommend 400 for everything but fireworks. Flash distance depends on what type of flash you have. My range is 70 to 100 ft, but built-in flashes usually do have a range of 7-10 ft.

My advise is to take lots of pictures. :D

I use 100 speed during the daytime. I got some great photos of one of the shows in front of the castle. Had plenty of the wonderful Florida sunlight for this speed. I enlarged to 11x14 & they came out great - won me 2 blue ribbons in the local fair!

I take 2 - 35mm cameras; one is ready for daylight with 100 speed; the other will have 400 speed. I do take a tripod. I'm a photo geek!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter