Camera Question

Flamingomo

Jack Sparrow's Wench...and proud of it.
Hi All,
I love photography. I literally take thousands of pictures a year. I have my dream camera... a Canon Rebel T2i and the pictures really are stunning. I have taken it to Disney a few times now and have been more than happy with my pictures. The first two times we had a stroller so it was in there while we were moving. The last couple of times, I carried it on my shoulder or in my should bag and man it is heavy. I can't wear it around my neck at all. I decided last summer when I went to California for vacation that I would just use my phone, which does take great pictures, but boy did I regret it.

Anyway, now to get to my question... I am looking at getting a smaller, lighter digital point and shoot camera for our next trip and have heard great things about the Nikon Cool Pix B500. Do any of you have this? Or can you recommend a lighter weight camera that takes amazing pictures that is under $300? I previously had a Sony camera that I loved but after too many drops it finally gave up. Thanks!

I'm not up on the smaller alternatives. I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions. The T2i has been around some time so it's probably time for an upgrade. But have you considered a cross body strap? It made a huge difference for me.

I'm not up on the smaller alternatives. I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions. The T2i has been around some time so it's probably time for an upgrade. But have you considered a cross body strap? It made a huge difference for me.
It works great, no need to upgrade. I have had it for 8 years. Pictures are amazing and it is very easy to use. I will probably end up bringing it if I can't find a good smaller one. I am going to be using a small backpack to carry it around while walking, but I still don't want anything too heavy either. Trying to lighten up as much as possible.

It works great, no need to upgrade. I have had it for 8 years. Pictures are amazing and it is very easy to use. I will probably end up bringing it if I can't find a good smaller one. I am going to be using a small backpack to carry it around while walking, but I still don't want anything too heavy either. Trying to lighten up as much as possible.
Have you considered maybe just going with a lightweight prime lens? The T2i actually is my go to smaller lighter choice (when I don’t want to carry my 6D).

yes, that's why the newer cameras are now mirrorless - smaller and lighter
But if your budget is under $300 it could be a challenge
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Anyway, now to get to my question... I am looking at getting a smaller, lighter digital point and shoot camera for our next trip and have heard great things about the Nikon Cool Pix B500. Do any of you have this? Or can you recommend a lighter weight camera that takes amazing pictures that is under $300? I previously had a Sony camera that I loved but after too many drops it finally gave up. Thanks!

I don't have that exact model, but I love my Nikon Coolpix S560! It has just enough features, and is still easy to use for quick shots. I would definitely trust that brand in that price range.

Not to hijack this thread, but how are the picture quality on these? I am in the same boat as the OP (have nice DSLR, but heavy/bulky, and want a nice smaller point & shoot instead of relying on phone). But my biggest requirement/concern is picture quality and getting a shot quickly! (I hate when it takes so long for it to take the picture that you miss the shot!)

The Sony a6000 with the collapsing 16-50mm kit lens is pretty compact - the lens barely protrudes past the grip. New kit is $550 right now. That's beyond your stated budget, but you can find one used for less and there are a6200 rumors, which may drop the a6000 price. The a6000 is an interchangeable lens camera, so you have the option to use other lenses and make this your only camera body.

The Canon M50 is an option if you want to stay with Canon.

Take a look at CameraSize.com. It's a great way to get a size by size comparison of size and weight.

I don't have that exact model, but I love my Nikon Coolpix S560! It has just enough features, and is still easy to use for quick shots. I would definitely trust that brand in that price range.
Thank you! Do you know if it takes quick shots, or does it take a moment to focus and grab. That is another reason I love my DSLR... for the quick response time.

Have you considered maybe just going with a lightweight prime lens? The T2i actually is my go to smaller lighter choice (when I don’t want to carry my 6D).
I would just use the basic lens it came with, but that is still pretty heavy. That is what I have always brought along with me because just the thought of bringing my zoom lens made me hurt. haha!

Thank you! Do you know if it takes quick shots, or does it take a moment to focus and grab. That is another reason I love my DSLR... for the quick response time.

If I have to pull mine out an turn it on, is does take a sec for the lens to extend. But if it's already on, it's very quick. I've gotten some great shots with it!

The pics in my December Trip Report were taken with it, if you'd like to see some examples. (I did make the files smaller to post.)

It takes about 2 seconds to power on, extend the lens and start shooting. It's quicker if you leave it on and let it go to sleep.

I should also mention that battery life isn't good on the a6000 and other mirrorless cameras because the batteries are small and a lot of electronics are running compared to a DSLR. You'll need to carry multiple batteries to finish a day.

The focus is fast and there are 179 focus points spread across the image and shoots 11 fps. The T2i has 9 focus points which are all in the center. More focus points across the image means your subject does not need to be in the center to get an in focus picture.

I'd forgotten you said you also have a Canon 6D. That might swing you back to considering the Canon M50, because it can use your Canon lenses with an adapter.

I have several compacts for when I want to go small and lighter than a DSLR, and even a small DSLR (same size as your T2i).

Here's the thing, with current sensor and lens technology, it comes down to sensor size nowadays. Anything beyond 3.7 microns (24MP on APS-C, or 60 MP on full frame), and you're not resolving any additional detail due to lens diffraction. My pocketable cameras use 12 MP 1/1.7" sensors, and I also have the APS-C Coolpix A. All are very good, but immediate shot performance isn't there from a pocket. They're ready to shoot as soon as the lens extends, but that takes about a second to do, upwards of 2 seconds on lesser cameras. Similar issues abound with the 1" sensor compacts.

As for mirrorless: they are sometimes smaller, but total kit size tends to be right up there with a DSLR simply because the optics tend to be just as large. Modern DSLRs aren't thin because of the mirror, but they are certainly lighter than, say, the A6000 with coupled with a collapsible kit lens (Nikon really has an edge I kit lenses over the last few years, but Canon does an OK job as well). And because of those lenses, there's a large jump in quality that can be seen at normal sizes going from an A6k series to a D5k series. A Canon M50 would be a much better choice - the optics are just plain better than Sony's in APS-C. But, something like a Canon SL is an option to look at as well, since it's not very much larger. Also, anything Fuji is a good bet, currently the best of any APS-C mirrorless, but spendy.

The optimal answer is, unfortunately, a camera system that no longer is made. The old Nikon 1 system used a 1" sensor and collapsible lens that is much smaller than the current crop of APS-C mirrorless. They also turn on instantly when you extend the lens barrel, so from a draw a simple twist turns the camera on while you're bringing it to shooting position. My wife has one, and it's about half the size of a Sony A6k, Fuji, or Canon EF-M system.

Or you could do what I do when I want both quality and speed: throw a small collapsible 18-55 or 35 f/1.8 lens on a DSLR body. My D5100 with either of those is remarkably small and light, and a Canon SL3 is even smaller and lighter. And if I'm really in the mood for quality: Nikon Df with a Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 is remarkably with wickedly good image quality, while being similar size and weight to a mirrorless option of similar quality.

Reactions: KVH
It takes about 2 seconds to power on, extend the lens and start shooting. It's quicker if you leave it on and let it go to sleep.

I should also mention that battery life isn't good on the a6000 and other mirrorless cameras because the batteries are small and a lot of electronics are running compared to a DSLR. You'll need to carry multiple batteries to finish a day.

The focus is fast and there are 179 focus points spread across the image and shoots 11 fps. The T2i has 9 focus points which are all in the center. More focus points across the image means your subject does not need to be in the center to get an in focus picture.

I'd forgotten you said you also have a Canon 6D. That might swing you back to considering the Canon M50, because it can use your Canon lenses with an adapter.

The Canon M50 mirrorless is good, the newer Canon M6 II is better.
with the 22mm f/2 pancake lens it can fit in your pocket. .... and mirrorless can easily use the big DSLR lens

I use the older Canon M5 mirrorless
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Reactions: KVH
OP, your budget is the limiting factor here. Nothing wrong with that amount as long as we remember that constraint. The 'common wisdom' for that amount on the inter-tubes is a Canon Powershot (list vary in models). Heck, if you could find one, I'd say an older, large-sensor compact like a Canon A650IS. Some of the cameras mentioned above, new, are out of the price range. It may be possible to get some as a refurb if you feel OK with that.

Besides, at that price point, IQ is really not an issue nowadays. Most cameras you buy for that price are going to be almost exactly the same as far as shot quality is concerned. Concentrating on size is probably a better use of effort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!