Campfire & Hair Wrap tips

Magnetic

Mouseketeer
Here's our tips for traveling with kids...

Campfire: Instead of renting sticks and marshmallows for $2 each, bring marshmallows from home packed in a disposable Ziplock container, and a telescoping antenna to roast them with. This is the same kind of metal antenna that is on portable radios -- it telescopes open to 28" long, the perfect length for DD to roast with. You can buy just the antenna at Radio Shack for about $3 (look in the back near the replacement radio parts, they will be called "Replacement Telescoping Antenna" and when they're collapsed, they're about the size of a pen. It takes up almost no luggage space, plus, you have it for subsequent trips.

Hair Wraps:
If you have daughters, and you know they're going to want a hair wrap, save yourself the $1.50/inch that the resorts charge and pick up the supplies to do it before you go, so you can do it for them one evening... or while you're waiting in line for a ride. Embroidery floss is about 20 cents per package at the fabric store, and 3 packages/colors is all you will need. Bring some cool beads along too to tie onto the end of it (Disney charges upwards of $5 per bead for some of the more decorative ones.) They're really easy to tie, and there are plenty of <a href="http://www.familysaurus.com/message_boards/crafters_corner/_craft_corner/00000088.htm">websites that can show you how</a>.

And one more -- like a lot of people, we always bring a 1qt. water bottle into the park (and we like to bring a scoop of lemonade mix to put in it, so we're not drinking plain water all day.) DD doesn't like sharing the bottle with the rest of us, so I bring collapsible camping cups in my daybag. This way, everyone has their own cup, and they collapse to about the size of a small hockey puck in my bag.

We'll be using all of them and that web link was great too! So glad you posted them.

Instead of spending the money and having to go out and get the telescoping antenna, a wire coat hanger works just fine in my expierence. Also they can be wrapped up stored easily. What's also fun is to bring gram crakers and chocolate to make smores. I dont know if they sell this there, but its alot cheaper to bring it I think. Hope I helped. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I want to vouch that doing the hair wrap yourself; it is very easy! I did not read this tip earlier for the web pages, but got the Klutz book on hair wrapping. I did both DD's tonight to practice in less than 30 minutes and they both turned out nice for the first ones! For our upcoming trip, I will get a little more creative with the strands of colors and add charms and more beads.

We got DD's hair wrapped last summer and we did the wrap from the nap of her neck vs. the top (less length) and paid $20 before the tip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter