Camping by the numbers

The fuel is the one thing i dont keep trck of , lol. In jersey you can not pump your own gas, so i pay cash. When i travel its the credic card, and i dont look. I do fill up at the 1/4 tank mark. I get 14 mpg normal, and 12 mpg towing. So its basicly the same.

It blows my mind that this is still the case. I did youth work while in NJ nearly 25 years ago, and I took the kids on a trip to DC. A couple of them hadn't been out of Jersey and were shocked when I stepped out of the vehicle to pump my own gas. You would have sworn they thought the FBI was about to come pouncing on me!

At least you dont have to look for the full service sign! Lol. When i was 17 , i took a trip in an older car, and did the full service thing , as i had no idea how to pump gas. I was surprised they let you do it. So , full service it was. I didn't know any better. Anyway, the attendent could not find the gas tank. Its was an even older car with the tank bwhind the license plate. Moral of the story, you dont kbow what you dont know. I did learn how to pump gas that night.

My first time ever driving to NJ (I grew up on LI), you would have thought I had just robbed a bank when I got out of my car, opened my gas cap and picked up a pump handle (it was still at a point where most places didn't make you prepay.

As for fuel costs, I do track them but not by trip. I track it in an app mostly to watch milage. Since I got my truck in January 2016 I have tracked 38490 miles, bought 3552 gallons of diesel and spent 8500. I mostly tow with the truck, though I will drive it from time to time.

I haven't done the math. But when we first upgraded from a pop up to a larger camper, we were only using it to go to Talladega. And we pay for storage. It would have been cheaper to rent something every year than to keep paying storage. So we gave family camping a shot. We had one kid at that point and one on the way. The camper was a sunk cost, so it was cheaper for us using it probably 5-6 trips per year.

That camper took it's lumps and we upgraded 2 years ago. We have used it more since getting the new one, but that equates to maybe 3 extra long weekends over a year. So with the note for the new camper, it would certainly be cheaper to find a non-camping way to vacation.

The thing is, tent camping wouldn't fly with DW. So same as some up above, we'd just do less. On top of that, one of the DDs is special needs. I think we've taken her on 2 hotel trips in her life. It's a disaster to try to get her to acclimate to a new place (plus if she breaks something in a hotel it costs me a lot more than if she breaks something in the camper). So having a familiar place for her to stay/sleep allows more travel too.

With our friends buying a new camper earlier this year, we've used it even more this year than we have in the past, so our nightly cost is lower this year anyway. and we have a good bit scheduled for next year.

@WeLovePluto I do feel that having close friends that have an RV enables you to travel together. In the racing community I am friends with there are over 20 RVs, though a smaller group of us get together. Last year about 6 families got together for the july 4th weekend in PA. Chis and Jenn (@PaHunter) even stopped by for a while. I spend most of my trips with one friend overall though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter