Camping Gadgets?

Cinders

<font color=CC66CC>Is blind to the charms of Simon
How about if everyone posts their best camping gadgets or tips for camping in general. I had one website by someone who owned a popup that had tons of lil gadget ideas but I seem to have lost it. Right now we are remodeling an older small RV that my parents gave us and would love some ideas on lil odds and ends we may not have thought about. So far we have taken out the shower and put a closet in its space. I know my parents never used the shower since the water heater was so lil and the water tank not big enough to hold water for a family of 4 to shower anyway. Whats the best thing to do with laundry? Tub or laundry bag? Any hints for taking a dog along too? She's a boxer so I know we'll need a leash, food dish and water dish.

I own tons of gadgets and most just gather dust. My FAVORITE, and the one that is the envy of every campground neighbor is a campfire cooking system that is built like a cantalever and hangs out over the fire. You drive a pole into the ground next to the fire pit, and a circular grate sits on a swing out pole. You can move it up and down, back and forth, etc. We use it every single trip and always have folks asking for the phone number and company name to order it. It is very simple and way cool.

Regarding your renovation.
There's a ton of great links at the Classic RV Yahoo group.

groups.yahoo.com/group/classicrv will get you there.

(I'm the proud owner of a 1977 170,000 mile Holiday Rambler motorhome. I call it the family heirloom. Traveled in it since I was 10.)

Originally posted by DisneyFanGuy
I own tons of gadgets and most just gather dust. My FAVORITE, and the one that is the envy of every campground neighbor is a campfire cooking system that is built like a cantalever and hangs out over the fire. You drive a pole into the ground next to the fire pit, and a circular grate sits on a swing out pole. You can move it up and down, back and forth, etc. We use it every single trip and always have folks asking for the phone number and company name to order it. It is very simple and way cool.

Ok, now you are just being cruel. ;) What's the company name and phone number?

Peggy

If you are remodeling an older pop-up, be sure to have the wheel bearings repacked. I've been told you should have this done every few years or at least every 10,000 miles.

We own a very small pop-up which the four of us (adult size) camp in:

> Rubbermaid tubs for food if you don't have storage in your RV

> Small metal tables that fold flat for outside

> Keep a toaster and coffeepot on one of these tables outside under the awning -- when not in use we cover it with a large leaf (garbage) size bag with the ends tucked under the legs

> Goose neck lamps for reading (these compress nicely for packing)

> At least one fan ... works for both circulation and for white noise if you have noisy neighbors

> Pop-up's have a skirting around the ceiling inside when they are up ... we use a safety pin to pin a small kitchen garbage bag up by the door (don't put anything heavy in there though), also pin up a mirror over the sink (using a string through end), clothes pin hand towel and dish towel, other clothes pins for wet socks, etc.

> Boot pan (large shallow plastic pan) that we put the cooler on (in case of leaks)

> We've recently purchased one of those tents that sleep 4 people and puts up quite easily (?? quick set-up) ... takes up very little room -- we'll put this up and store some of our things (chairs, etc) in case of inclement weather

> White Christmas twinkle lights for the trees ... also outdoor timer so that the lights will be one when we get back from the parks

> Have seen this recently for sites that are close together with no bushes in between ... put up a clothes line and then hang sheets/blankets for privacy

> Duffle bags ... one per person ... all belongings have to be kept in there ... helps to keep things tidy and these can be stacked when the beds are in use

These are the things that come to mind. Please note that we have a very small pop up so have learned to economize on what we take.

We always bring a crockpot with us. It's great to put dinner in it in the morning and go off for the day. When we get back, dinner is ready!

We also always bring "tablecloth clips" with us. Keeps the tablecloth from flying off onto someone else's site.

I second the crockpot suggestion! We finally got a second crockpot to keep IN the pop-up, so we didn't have to worry about remembering to pack it each time.

We also have a cool thing for laundry. I'm not quite sure how to explain it, except that it's a collapsable mesh thing that "pops" open to be a rectangular bin with handles, but then folds down into a flat little bundle. It's made of mesh and then has a flexible "frame" -- I'm not explaining this very well. Maybe I can find a link somewhere...

Okay, the laundry thing we have is similar to this one:

http://www.thedormitoryonline.com/Laundry/Pop_Up_Hamper/pop_up_hamper.html

The only difference is that ours is a "long-ways" rectangle instead of a tall one, and the whole (long-ways) top is open -- so it's more like a laundry basket than a hamper. That's helpful for me, because I like to fold my laundry in the laundry room, then carry it back in the basket.

HTH!

Ours is like the one you posted a link to. Its great, it stands on its own and has a small footprint. We leave it outside under the awning of our popup. Its great that it is mesh so when you throw in the dirty clothers in the summer they can dry out.

Here is the website for the grill cooking system that I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. It is so easy and works so well that it should cost much more than it does.

I recommend that you order the adapter kit if you get it. It's a tool that fits over the post so that it never flares out when pounding. Then the stuff lasts forever. If you have ever used a tripod, you will be in heaven when you try this stuff. It's made up here and sold by a few dealers or I never would have found it.

People actually come by and take pictures while we are cooking.

Unique Grill System

That's an awesome looking grill system, DisneyFanGuy! Thanks for the link!

Great suggestions everyone!! The cooking system that DisneyFanGuy posted reminded me of one I saw at Lunker's in Michigan for anyone else that was interested in that. They also have dutch ovens and other "fire" type cooking items there. For those in northern Indiana or southern Michigan Lunker's is on Mighigan's 12 just north of South Bend. I've added a crockpot to my list. Before Christmas I did buy one of those mini crockpots for $5 at WalMart that I thought would be good for cheese dips.

DH and I have found Elkhart, IN to be a treasure trove of RV surplus businesses. There's another one closer to us on 6 just west of Liginior, IN. We've bought new cabinet doors, sink, bathroom countertop, hinges, and lights. In the next couple of weeks we'll buy paneling to redo the benches and the hidden bed and we're looking for a remnant of carpet for the main part of the flooring.

RV Surplus Salvage

Not really a gadget BUT as a mom of 3. I can tell you that the worst way to get your day started is to TRY and give a 3 year old a shower at camp. YIKES! One way that I found to make this a little bit easier for all of us is to buy a large rubber maid tote (a clear one is the best, more on that later), while I am taking my shower dad is watching the kids. I first use the tote to haul everything to the showers, then while I am showering I sit the tote on the floor and let it fill up. If need be let it keep filling as I dry off and get dressed. I always set a time with my hubby to bring the 1st to me such and such time. BINGO, they have their very own little tub. I like the clear totes so I can pack each persons clothing and tell at a glance which one I need. We also have one that we store all of the little outside toys...buckets, shovels, cars, water guns etc in. Once we get to camp the kids can take the empty tote with us to the river/lake/pond/or wherever and use it to hold water and fish or tadpoles or whatever creepy crawlies they want. Hope this helps some tired mom and dad with the shower strugle!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter