Camping with Ears

If you have a camper/rv (or tent), Hooley, then.....

It's like sleeping at your own home in your guest bedroom and touring WDW. You get all the on-property perks related to tix/ADRs/parking plus the people around you (other camper/tent/trailer folks) can be more conversational and friendly than folks in the next room at All Stars, POP, or POR. (Been there, done that)

Of course in the campground you can cook some of your own meals, bring a cooler for the non-cook meals, and save some money over the over-priced, lower quality, but sometimes better location table and counter service meals.

If you're within a reasonable drive of WDW, I mean, why wouldn't you? And if you're not, you can rent a trailer pulled to a site for you and get the same benefits.

Me, personally, I like sleeping/living at "home" and going to the parks and indulging in a WDW vacation.

What do you think?

Bama Ed

PS - I see on your other posts you might have a large group next summer. Care to share some relevant details?

From the "DVC Rent/Trade" Board:

Interested in 6/5-6/12 at OKW 1 3br villa and 1 studio

From the "Welcome to the DIS" Board:

Planning a 16 person family vacation! Any advice?

Last edited:
I second Bama Ed. Plus if you have kids, they can enjoy a campsite rather than a cramped room, they can get pretty cranky in close quarters (that goes for adults too!)

In addition to Ed's always valuable advice, the piece I would add is the relative peacefulness of the resort. We spent 10 years doing Disney (often more than once a year) before we towed our trailer down. We've done many of the DVC resorts, as well as a couple of the value and moderates. FW has a completely different vibe to it - it is simply not as rushed our 'bustling' as the hotel-style resorts.

For perspective, FW has about 1,200 sites/cabins, while Pop Century has some 2,800! Meanwhile, the relative acreage of FW is 2-3x the size of the Pop. Having the population spread out like that, in addition to the more laid back attitudes (especially on the campsite side of things) just makes for a very different experience. We love our DVC, but we love camping too - and we find the two to be very different experiences.

Hooley,

I'll echo everyone else.

You get the same on site perks as staying any where else on site... Plus, the lowest price on site accommodations with a cool boat ride to MK.

I can't emphasize the different atmosphere at the Fort. I've stayed at every level of resort at WDW and nothing compared to the relaxed, friendly atmosphere.

Don't forget all the fun on site things. Campfire and sing along with Chip and Dale, Hoop Dee Doo, canoeing, fishing, horseback riding, carriage rides, golf carts, archery.

You can get some of these things at other resorts, but not all of them combined.

j

We have our first trip camping at the Fort scheduled for July, so I can't comment on staying at the Fort from a personal standpoint.
However, we bought a travel trailer earlier this year, and we have enjoyed it so much. We can afford to take more vacations than we did before since campsites are less expensive and we can make our own meals. (Gas is double, however.)

I have never liked hotel rooms at all. I have enjoyed being able to enjoy our outings (water activities, theme parks, etc), then returning to our campsite to our own beds, our own sheets and blankets, and it's all CLEAN. It's a bit like going on vacation, yet going home at night (even though the beds are different than the ones in the house, they are still ours).

We also enjoy being able to have familiar food that we would eat at home. If we go out to eat, we can put leftovers in the refrigerator and enjoy them later.

Although we haven't brought our cat with us, many people vacation with their pets.

Although our camper is smaller than the average hotel room (I think I figured that we have 200 sq. feet), it is laid out in a way that we have our own space. We have our queen size bed at one part of the camper, and the kids have full-size bunk beds in their area. It's all one big room, but there is space for all of us. We also have a booth dinette that seats the four of us (we usually eat outside unless the weather is bad, however). We have a sofa and a tv. The kitchen is small, but it works for us.

I know I've said it before, but it's comfortable and clean.

For us, it allows us to afford Disney as we are a family of 6 and there is NO WAY I am paying $300+ per night for a place to sleep (aka resort)
We love camping anyway and bought a popup to prepare for a Fort Wilderness trip. I love it already and we have not even set up camp there ha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter