Camping with very little experience

disneylover102

DIS Veteran
Is it a bad idea to stay at the campsite if I don’t even know how to set up a tent? I assume there’s people to help with that? How hot does it get in August at FW? Can you take a decent nap and not be miserable? Also I assume air mattresses work?

Thanks in advance! I just really want the advantages of staying on site (EMH, 60+ day FPs, free transport to/from parks and airport, etc) but I don’t have the money to stay in a Disney Hotel!

Is it a bad idea to stay at the campsite if I don’t even know how to set up a tent? I assume there’s people to help with that? How hot does it get in August at FW? Can you take a decent nap and not be miserable? Also I assume air mattresses work?

Thanks in advance! I just really want the advantages of staying on site (EMH, 60+ day FPs, free transport to/from parks and airport, etc) but I don’t have the money to stay in a Disney Hotel!

Buy a tent that you will use
Assemble tent (in yard or living room)
Faux FW camp (if in a room, raise temperature to 100°F :o) and enjoy or not ???

IMHO it's a bad idea. The only people that will help are other campers that will take pity on you, but you really should know what you are doing. I agree with @John VN to setup at home.
As for camping in a tent in August in Florida? That's a just say 'no' moment from me.

I couldn't do it in August heat. But there is always tent campers there so some people can.

I wouldn’t depend on help- what is people are making dinner, or at the parks? However, tents are incredibly simple and once you do it at home in your yard you’ll be fine.

Tent camping in August in Florida is like camping in Hell. I’d be more concerned about that, rather than setting up a tent, though!

And as far as cost, I think during August FW campsites run about $90. All-Star hotels (with no discount as of yet, but they always happen in August) is about $139. That comes with beds and A/C and a coffee maker (in all but Sports). By the time you buy a tent, everything you need for that tent, and endure outdoors in August in Florida, you’ll come out more expensive than staying at a Value hotel.

Second point first: are you patient enough to get the tent cleaned off, folded up properly so it will fit back in its storage bag?

First point: a lot of tents are basically feeding poles through. They're not hard once you figure out what goes in which hole.

I just really want the advantages of staying on site (EMH, 60+ day FPs, free transport to/from parks and airport, etc) but I don’t have the money to stay in a Disney Hotel!
I do the math before each trip to decide if it is cheaper to drive the camper the 1000 miles each way vs staying at a Value. Every time, it is close to a break even, with food being the advantage to taking the camper. Fuel towing the camper at 9 mpg vs driving the SUV at 20 mpg is also weighed into the difference

For you, the main difference will be the price of the camping stuff you will need to buy. I think the cost savings of a campsite may be eaten up buying a tent, and other things you may need (cooking equipment if you don't want to eat at Trails End, which can get expensive)

I'm not trying to talk you out of the Fort, but do the "all in" math.

As for August in a tent... I did it as a kid in Boy Scouts every summer in the Midwest (often hotter than WDW with the same humidity). Today, the thought of a 90 degree tent at 11pm doesn't sound like a good time, especially if you have been in the heat all day at the parks.

j

Last edited:
Camping is a wonderful activity. I have been doing it in various forms including tents, vans, trailers and motorhomes for more years than I want to admit. I tell camping-curious people all the time that camping is not a substitute for a hotel room for more reasons than I can cover here. A tent sitting in the Florida sun is about as comfortable as a car with the widows rolled up. Even at night it will be near 90 degrees with unrelenting humidity. Look into the Value hotels.

Need more info: How many of you are hitting Disney?
We adore camping, so moving to Fort Wilderness was not a big deal. That said, my hubby really does miss staying in a resort sometime.

As far as tent: buy an instant set up tent andplay with it in your back yard, or a park. They are awesome and we will never go back to regular poles.
Air mattress can be great,or miserable (if they deflate at night) so set it up and let it stretch for a few days...be prepared for a flat or buy a cot with foam mattresses, or spend the money a 6"
tri-fold mattress off Amazon.

An AC will be a must, we have used our portable before, newer tents have a "back hatch" for the vent, just be prepared for condensation.

It is a lot of set up for tent camping even for 2 people to be comfortable, but it may be worth it to you :) You can also price out renting a camper and site vs value resort.

I agree with renting a camper. That being said, where are you coming from? How long will you be staying? How many people will be with you? You'll need more than just a tent. As someone who lives in Florida 30 minutes away from Fort Wilderness I will say it's pretty brutal outside in August. People do it all the time though so there's that. Most cost savings while staying at the Fort come from having meals at the campsite. You'll have to stock up on supplies before getting there, have a place to store them and have a way to cook those meals. I'm in no way trying to discourage you from camping, just trying to help you with reality so you can make an educated decision. I've stayed in many of the resorts over the years and will only stay in our own MH at the Fort now. No more hotels. That's how my wife and I like to go. Everyone is different.

Setup your tent in your backyard. Practice camping while stuck at home. Cook outside and figure out your meals. Use this time of self isolation to learn how to do this from the safety of your own home.

And when campgrounds around you reopen, go on a weekend trip.

Is it a bad idea to stay at the campsite if I don’t even know how to set up a tent? YES

I assume there’s people to help with that? NO

How hot does it get in August at FW? IT'S NOT THE HEAT, IT'S THE HEAT INDEX (INCLUDES THE HIGH HUMIDITY VALUE) THAT IS UNBEARABLE

Can you take a decent nap and not be miserable? NO

Also I assume air mattresses work? YES, DEFLATE THEM IN THE MORNING OR IT WILL EXPLODE FROM HEAT EXPANSION (MAYBE)

AND THAT DOESN'T INCLUDE THE WILDLIFE FACTOR (MOSQUITO'S)

GOOD LUCK WITH ALL THAT!

I would be absolutely miserable. I wouldn't expect anyone to help you. Sure, there might be someone willing to help, but to be honest, you need to learn how to set up your own tent. And then there are logistics. Getting a nice tent, air mattress, camping supplies, either an A/C or a fan at a minimum on an airline. Plus anything that you'd normally get at a hotel, you're going to have to haul it with you: towels, soap, bedding, pillow. How much extra is that going to cost not only to buy it but to haul it with you? Are you planning on cooking? That is a huge money saver and one reason why we camp. If you're going to cook, you're going to need cooking supplies. If you're not planning to cook at all and are planning to eat at Disney restaurants, seriously look at your budget. Skipping some Disney food could save you enough money to upgrade to an actual hotel room.

I totally understand the appeal of staying onsite. However, I would (and I have) stayed in offsite hotels that are cheaper than Disney prices before I would tent camp in August, especially for $62/night. In case you're not aware, that is extremely expensive for a camp site without sewer hookups.

I would be absolutely miserable. I wouldn't expect anyone to help you. Sure, there might be someone willing to help, but to be honest, you need to learn how to set up your own tent. And then there are logistics. Getting a nice tent, air mattress, camping supplies, either an A/C or a fan at a minimum on an airline. Plus anything that you'd normally get at a hotel, you're going to have to haul it with you: towels, soap, bedding, pillow. How much extra is that going to cost not only to buy it but to haul it with you? Are you planning on cooking? That is a huge money saver and one reason why we camp. If you're going to cook, you're going to need cooking supplies. If you're not planning to cook at all and are planning to eat at Disney restaurants, seriously look at your budget. Skipping some Disney food could save you enough money to upgrade to an actual hotel room.

I totally understand the appeal of staying onsite. However, I would (and I have) stayed in offsite hotels that are cheaper than Disney prices before I would tent camp in August, especially for $62/night. In case you're not aware, that is extremely expensive for a camp site without sewer hookups.

Compared to National Park rates that’s super expensive. One of the benefits of camping is saving money over a hotel. Now, I love tent camping. But I love it out west, where the humidity is low.

And like the poster above says, you’ve added a lot of logistics. I have to assume they’re driving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter