Can anyone explain the National Guard to me?

pat fan

Sad my tag won't fit :(
I just don't grasp it. How do you only serve one weekend a month and two weeks a year? What do you do the rest of time? I just don't get the concept. Thanks.

I ask because my DS's friend has signed up and wants my DS to also. DS had looked at Army but doesn't really know what he wants to do.

I just don't grasp it. How do you only serve one weekend a month and two weeks a year? What do you do the rest of time? I just don't get the concept. Thanks.

I ask because my DS's friend has signed up and wants my DS to also. DS had looked at Army but doesn't really know what he wants to do.

My husband is Army NG. The do serve one weekend a month, and two weeks a year, but...

They go to basic training, and AIT (A more specialized training) like any other soldier, so they will be gone for several months at a time once.
The rest of the time they are "citizen soldiers" They work normal jobs, have normal lives etc.
They are also eligible to deploy. DH is away right now on his first. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me, or ask here, there are tons of great people.

Okay, so my DS does not have a job (not for lack of trying, just can't find one) so this would NOT be a good move for him? He would still need a "regular" job to live, correct? Do they have to move to be near a "base", or could he stay around where we live? Thanks!

Okay, so my DS does not have a job (not for lack of trying, just can't find one) so this would NOT be a good move for him? He would still need a "regular" job to live, correct? Do they have to move to be near a "base", or could he stay around where we live? Thanks!

He wouldn't need to move near a base, just might have to drive a little to get to his drills (guard weekend) If he doesn't have a job right now, it might be a good time for him, as he would have to go away for basic and AIT training, I think DH was gone 5 months.

How old is your son?

He's 18 next week. He'll be graduating HS this June. I see on the NG website that the ASVAB is a link, but the requirements for the Guard say a HS diploma. Do they still have to take the ASVAB?

He's 18 next week. He'll be graduating HS this June. I see on the NG website that the ASVAB is a link, but the requirements for the Guard say a HS diploma. Do they still have to take the ASVAB?

The ASVAB helps them figure out what kind of job he will be best suited for. Has he spoken to a recruiter yet? Are you guys still in MA? We are in Maine, so not that far from you!

Yup, we're in Ma. We used to take the boys camping every summer in York,Me. Love it there! Whereabouts in Maine are you? We're in western Ma., about 45 minutes from Springfield.

No, he hasn't talked to a recruiter. He talked to an Army recruiter mid-year, but he lost interest in that. I think his Aunt talked him out of it :sad2: He just brought the NG up the other night and said that his friend has been trying to talk him into joining with him. I don't know how interested he really is, but being the mom I am, I want to know EVERYTHING I can so I can talk intelligently with him, ask him questions and offer answers to his questions should he have any. I did the same thing with our older DS's college plans.

He took the pre-ASVAB at the Army office and they said he did great on everything but the math, and that they didn't recommend him taking the real one unless he scored at least a 30 or 300? Something with a 3 in it anyway!

He's a great kid, just doesn't know what his spot in the world is yet. Who does at his age? I think a service branch would be great for him, but I am NOT going to push, any more than I would push him to college (NOT his thing) or anything else.

ugh i had a huge response typed out and i got logged out before i could post it-i hate that. the information the PP provided its accurate but brief-my husband has been in 31 years i can give you tons and tons of info-if you still want it PM me.

We are in central Maine.

As far as wanting info, I know my husband's recruiter was GREAT with his parents. My MIL had all her questions answered, and they were great to her (he was already enlisted when we met)
For the most part (from what I have been told) NG recruiters give really good info, because they live and work in the community that they are recruiting in. See if he knows anyone who is already in, having a good honest talk with them may help him make his decision. Try and have him talk to someone who has the MOS (job) he is interested in. Each job has different training, and the experience can be very different.

As far as college, NG offers some really great benefits for school if that is what he wants down the road!

I don't know if you have looked, but
http://www.nationalguard.com/?kw=national+guard
has lots of good info!

pat i answered your PMs-sorry i was so slow-i was traveling for work and had computer issues.

My Dh is ANG recruiter. If you want, compile a list of questions and I will have him answer them for you:thumbsup2

MY DH is Air National Guard, and is a full time technician for the ANG as well. He does his regular job Monday - Friday, and then works one weekend a month and he also gets 15 days per year for AT. Those are extra paychecks. He wears the uniform every day, and does the same job for the ANG as he does for his civilian job. (Most are state jobs, but because of his specific job he is actually a federal DOD employee.)
There are also full time NG slots - AGR positions.

Thank you all for your replies! I asked him if he had any questions,and he said "not really". Poor kid, I really feel for him being this age and not knowing what he wants to "do" with himself! I know it's probably true for most kids his age, but the few who have a rock solid plan make it tough on those who don't! I sure wouldn't want to be 18 again! Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter