Can DVC owner who bought points resale....

DianeW

Worshipping at the shrine of the corporate Mouse
Use those points to book other non-DVC Disney hotels? Specifically, I'm trying to get a reservation at Grand Californian in Disneyland at the 7 month booking window. I know that probably won't happen since I don't own there. Am I allowed to use my points (purchased resale) to book a room at either the Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier? Or is that one of the "perks" that resale DVC owners don't have?

PS. I know that's not the best use for my points, but this is a new contract with 2017 banked points that have to be used this year.

Thanks so much!!

No. But you could rent them out and then use the cash to pay for a hotel room. That is a better use of the points than trading them in, anyway.

You can use your point to book at the Grand Californian DVC rooms only. Most people say it’s very difficult to get at 7 months, but others have been lucky. Good luck.

Last edited:
No, points from resale contracts cannot be used for the Disney Collection (as it's called). As Ben E N has stated, even if you could, it would be far better to rent out your points and pay for the hotel room directly.

Thanks, everybody!! I didn't think I'd be able to use the points elsewhere. Crossing my fingers for Grand Californian. If not, we'll pay cash by renting out our points.

You can rent someone's GC points, then rent your points out.

If the contract had been purchased before March 21, 2011 then yes you could as those points are grandfathered in, but any resale contract purchased after March 21, 2011 are restricted to DVC reservations and RCI trades.

BEGINNING MARCH 21, 2011, MEMBERS WHO PURCHASE OWNERSHIP INTERESTS IN ANY DVC RESORT FROM A PERSON OR ENTITY OTHER THAN DIRECTLY FROM DVD SHALL NOT BE ABLE TO USE THE VACATION POINTS ASSOCIATED WITH THAT OWNERSHIP INTEREST FOR RESERVATIONS OR STAYS THROUGH THE INCIDENTAL BENEFITS KNOWN AS THE ADVENTURER COLLECTION, CONCIERGE COLLECTION OR DISNEY COLLECTION.

If the contract had been purchased before March 21, 2011 then yes you could as those points are grandfathered in, but any resale contract purchased after March 21, 2011 are restricted to DVC reservations and RCI trades.

This contract is being freshly purchased though. Even if the original was bought before 2011, any resales reset the benefits to null.

I was able to book a 1 bdrm at GCV at 7 months for a week in Aug quite easily. It might be a different story if you want a studio.

I was able to book a 1 bdrm at GCV at 7 months for a week in Aug quite easily. It might be a different story if you want a studio.

Good to hear, but I need one in early December for only 2 nights! We shall see what happens.

LAX

Yeah, I'm looking for either a one bedroom, a two bedroom dedicated, or a two bedroom lock-off. I'm not picky. But I'm afraid my resale won't close before the seven month mark, so I doubt I'll be able to find much there two weeks after that time. Unless there's a cancellation. If not, we'll probably just pay for a room at Paradise Pier or the Disneyland Hotel....I already have the money saved for that. The upside is...I'll be "forced" to take a WDW vacation before 4/2019 to use those banked points. Bummer. :D

A 1 bedroom you will probably be able to get at the 7 month window if you're online right at opening time.

Good to hear, but I need one in early December for only 2 nights! We shall see what happens.

LAX

Fall doesn't seem to be as popular a time for Disneyland as it is for WDW. Between mid-September and December 11, there is only one night sold out for 1 bedrooms (Thursday, 11/15). There is still quite a bit of availability for studios during that time, too. Of course that will change as it gets closer to the 7 month mark, but it's still encouraging. Good luck!

Fall doesn't seem to be as popular a time for Disneyland as it is for WDW. Between mid-September and December 11, there is only one night sold out for 1 bedrooms (Thursday, 11/15). There is still quite a bit of availability for studios during that time, too. Of course that will change as it gets closer to the 7 month mark, but it's still encouraging. Good luck!

That's the year round trend for VGC. Everything except GV's available until 7 months. Fall is also popular it's just the VGC has never been one to book up during it's home resort priority period other than races and a few other events and holidays.

That's the year round trend for VGC. Everything except GV's available until 7 months. Fall is also popular it's just the VGC has never been one to book up during it's home resort priority period other than races and a few other events and holidays.

I am hoping the combination of mid-week, short-stay, & 1-bedroom will give me a fighting chance at 8AM the morning of my 7-month window!

LAX

Yeah, I'm looking for either a one bedroom, a two bedroom dedicated, or a two bedroom lock-off. I'm not picky. But I'm afraid my resale won't close before the seven month mark, so I doubt I'll be able to find much there two weeks after that time. Unless there's a cancellation. If not, we'll probably just pay for a room at Paradise Pier or the Disneyland Hotel....I already have the money saved for that. The upside is...I'll be "forced" to take a WDW vacation before 4/2019 to use those banked points. Bummer. :D

We booked an upcoming spring stay at 7 months in a 2 bedroom and the month was wide open for 2 bedrooms. So I think you will have good luck if taking a 2 bedroom. The studios were gone right away. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!