Can I drop the DDP without having to rebook my package?

JennysSeven

Mouseketeer
When I booked our package back in February I added the DDP figuring I could drop it later if we decided against it. Now I've seen something in another thread that seems to say Disney doesn't like you to change packages--you have to cancel and rebook. Now this other thread was about actually dropping off days of a resort stay, so different. But my question is, will I be able to drop the DDP from my existing reservation and have the rest of the reservation stay intact? How about dropping 2 of our 9 park tickets? We've since bought annual passes for hubby and I and a TiW card for a trip we took later in the spring, so it makes a lot more sense for us to pay OOP for dining when we go as a family in December. But I don't want to risk not having a place to stay.

You should be able to make package changes up to about 3 days before arrival without rebooking. Changes prior to final payoff date (30 days?) can be done without penalty, a change fee would apply after that.

I believe everyone on the package must have the same package components. So you would not be able to drop the tickets for only some members of your party.

You also might be able to get an AP discount on the room now. Might be worth trying to rebook with that. If you can't rebook room only, you could still probably drop all the tickets, and the dining plan, and make it a ticketless package. Basically, room only but under package policies.

Either way, you'll need to drop the tickets from the package, and get 7 tickets separately.

You're still so far out from your December trip. Why not just cancel and rebook a room only with your AP discount? I believe you get to book 3 rooms with your AP discount. If you do a full package, you have to get tickets for everyone in the party. Better to just buy 7 tickets separately or from a discounter.

If you want dining plan, just add it as a ticketless package.

Oh yeah - you want to use TIW, so no need for dining plan. Then why tie yourself into the restrictions of a package? Get a room-only with a 5 day cancellation (instead of 30 days). Then you can still consider further discounts, etc. I got an extra 20% off my onsite room only through a Travelocity promo code (on top of Disney's summer discounts) plus an extra 8% clicking through ebates. So 28% discount just like that. I was happy to cancel my direct Disney booking and switch to the discounted room.

If you want to be safe, book a room only...and THEN cancel your package.

I don't think the AP room-only discounts are out yet for December. I'm definitely waiting to see if that helps me. My plan all along was to drop things if I could do better money-wise as other discounts came out, etc. But when I saw the other thread about having to rebook if things are changed, I got scared. I think one of my room types is booked up for our travel dates. There are 9 of us, so we have a family suite at ASM, which are still available, but then we also have a regular preferred room, which I think are booked up now for my dates. Any changes I make need to keep my 2 rooms intact for our entire stay.

I don't think the AP room-only discounts are out yet for December. I'm definitely waiting to see if that helps me. My plan all along was to drop things if I could do better money-wise as other discounts came out, etc. But when I saw the other thread about having to rebook if things are changed, I got scared. I think one of my room types is booked up for our travel dates. There are 9 of us, so we have a family suite at ASM, which are still available, but then we also have a regular preferred room, which I think are booked up now for my dates. Any changes I make need to keep my 2 rooms intact for our entire stay.
The only time you may have difficulty modifying a package is if you're under 30 days to arrival. If you want to upgrade it, yay! If you want to downgrade it, you may not be able to without paying a penalty.

You can call Disney and have your Magic Your Way packages converted to "basic packages." A basic package is just a room with no tickets or dining. You just have to pay for the full reservation at 31 days and it has the terms as a MYW package, not a room only reservation. This will in NO way harm the rooms you already have booked.

Last edited:

Then I would 1. book the family suite separately as a room only. Then call to ask about changing your package to remove the family suite and just keep the preferred room that you are having trouble booking now.

Or if they have trouble doing that without cancelling the booking, do as a PP above suggested and change to a basic package with no tickets or dining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!