Can I lend my brother-in-law our DC card for a Resort discount?

beattyfamily

DIS Cast Member
I really don't want to do anything wrong so that is why I'm asking.

This is the story.

We are DVCs and we booked a one-bedroom standard last week for November 30 thru December 5. Then on Friday, my husband invited his brother, who has never been to WDW, to stay with us. I called DVC this morning with NO luck. I'm on the waiting list for a two-bedroom standard view.

Meanwhile, I felt bad so I called to see what the DC discount would be on All Star Sports which is where they'd want to stay if they didn't stay with us. It was $414. total for six nights in December. I thought that was GREAT! So she asked if I wanted to hold it. I said yes.

I gave her all their info but I'm the one with the DC card. We all do have the same last name but we don't live together. She did ask if it was a gift and should she put it in my name but I said no. Maybe I should have said yes???

I was going to let them use my DC card for the whole trip since they have the same name on the card and since it's their first trip and they are on a very tight budget; I didn't think it was a big deal. Now I'm second guessing myself.

Watch, this will all be moot if the DVC room comes through and I'm upsetting myself for nothing!!

HELP!:confused:

The back of the DC card states the card is intended for use by the cardholder,spouse and dependent children living at the same address. It also states benefits are nontransferrable.

Well, I guess that covers that. I didn't even look at the back.

But what if it's a gift and it's in my name, but I don't stay there? How could that possibly be wrong?

Like I said, hopefully, this is all moot anyway and the DVC will come through for us!

Thanks.

You may have to check in for him since your name's on the card.

I know it may be legally wrong, but I think I would do it. If they're on a tight budget and it would helpt hem out then go ahead. You'll be there too so it's not like you're just sending them off on vacation with your card. And since I know my card just says my last name and then "Household" after it that there shouldn't be any problem with him using it since he has the same name. I would do it then if a general code comes out during that time that is equal or better, switch to that one and you won't have anything to worry about.

I don't follow the logic....A tight budget justifies breaking the rules?

On 2 separate occasions, my brothers-in-law have used my family's card, and a hand-off was done right in front of the CM at the Disney store in both cases. DH said to the CM, "this is my brother, so he can use my card, too, right?" and the CM said yes. To me that implies that the terms on the back of the card are loosely regulated, though I had not ever read the back.

That said, perhaps a great solution would be to have your BIL get his own DC card - maybe someone could give it as a gift... considering that he's likely going to get some use out of it. I know they are to be discontinued, but we had to renew ours this month to keep the card in force for the rest of the year. It was worth it in the long run, IMHO.

Good luck with your wait list!
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Now that sounds like a good solution!

Originally posted by awatt
I don't follow the logic....A tight budget justifies breaking the rules?

If this is addressed to me, I don't want to break the rules, and I wasn't sure I was, so I asked the experts here.

Thanks for setting me straight.

If I thought I was doing something that was 'breaking the rules", I certainly wouldn't ask here, for ya'll to yell at me, believe me.

I thought since I don't need the card (DVC member) and we're family going together, it wasn't wrong. Now I know better, thank you...

Originally posted by Mrs. Snowgod
...perhaps a great solution would be to have your BIL get his own DC card - maybe someone could give it as a gift... considering that he's likely going to get some use out of it. I know they are to be discontinued, but we had to renew ours this month to keep the card in force for the rest of the year. It was worth it in the long run, IMHO.

Good luck with your wait list!
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

I thought of that but DC is only taking renewals past the December 12th date and not NEW memberships.

I'd gladly get them a membership as a "first trip to WDW" gift...

Don't know if things have changed, but 7 years ago my sister paid for our stay at Old Key West as a wedding gift. She booked the stay with her membership (then Magic Kingdom Club) and paid for the stay with her credit card. We checked in and never had to show a membership card. I would think you could pay for their stay and then have them reimburse you?

Beattyfamily my last post was not directed at you but rather the poster who said it may be legally wrong but she'd do it because they are on a tight budget and it would help them. No offense intended.

You can take any request for information and turn it into a debate......

Let's just stay on track about what was asked - and not debate the legal aspects - ok

One other possable solution is to not use a DC discount - check on things like AAA or a discount code.

I think AAA and DC discount are usually the same. Does your BIL have AAA?

IMHO, I believe you should go ahead and
do it. Pay for it if you can and have them
reimburse you. I sent my MIL my card at
Halloween and she purchased my daughter
her Aurora costume and sent me my card
back. You're going to get mixed opinions,
but that's what they are. Hopefully, as you
said, the DVC will come through and all
will be moot.
Hey gepetto, that photo of MJ is totally
repulsive. I almost lost my lunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter