Can I sub Hershey's cocoa powder for Dutch Process

bas71873

DIS Veteran
I have a chocolate cake donut recipe (baked donuts) that I want to try and it calls for 1/2 cup Dutch Process Cocoa. Can I substitute Hershey's cocoa with the same measurement? I've googled and some things I read say "sure" and others say it needs to be "doctored up" but give no clear "doctoring" instructions. Here is the recipe I'm using if that helps. TIA!

Chocolate Buttermilk Cake Donuts

1 1/2 cups cake flour
1/2 cup dutch process cocoa
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
2 T. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 425. Spray donut pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl (or stand mixer), soft together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add buttermilk. Stir. Add butter and vanilla. Stir. Add eggs one at a time, stirring in between each egg. Beat until just combined. Fill each donut mold about 2/3 full.

Bake for roughly seven minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool, and decorate accordingly. I dipped mine in chocolate glaze and sprinkles.

I have never been disappointed with the result of any recipe using Hershey's cocoa. Some of those recipes asked for "cocoa" and others said "dutch processed cocoa". I consider them synonymous from a taste perspective.

Dutch processed cocoa needs baking powder where Hershey's (or natural cocoa powder) needs baking soda (difference in the acidity in the two cocoas)...change your baking powder to baking soda and it should work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter