Can my picky "Disney adult" kids order off the kids menu at TS?

Coconuts

DIS Veteran
So I have 2 "Disney adult" kids, 10 and 15, who are very picky eaters. Most of their palate is geared towards the kids menu options. Occasionally my 15 yo will eat something a little more adventurous, but mostly what they both eat is what I call "tan" foods...chicken fingers, pizza, mac and cheese etc...all carbs ugh.

We want to do a couple of TS meals OOP on our next trip, but as I'm looking at a lot of the menus, I'm not really seeing much that my kids would eat: absolutely nothing my DD 10 would eat and maybe a couple of options for my DD 15.

I understand that if it's a buffet or price fixe meal that we would have to pay adult prices, but for most ala carte restaurants since we are not using DDP credits, could they order off the kids menus? It is not because we're trying to save money or a portion sized thing, but strictly because they won't like or eat most adult entrees. And we wouldn't be asking for adult sized portions either; they would both be fine with kids portion sizes.

Thanks for the input!:)

As long as you are paying independently and the menu lists items your children will be happy eating, why not? Oh and even if you were on a DDP the powers that be would have no problem with you paying adult prices but eating child portions.

I doubt they would even question the 10 year old. The 15 year old might get an adult-sized portion for a higher price, but there should be no issues getting them a plate of chicken tenders.

You can, but you will be charged an adult price, not a childs price.

It has been hit or miss with us depending on the restaurant and even the server as we have had different experiences on different days at the same restaurant.

With my niece we have her prepare for a few different scenarios if its someplace we really want to visit that she might have a hard time with. First choice a kids meal 2nd choice an adult version of a kid's meal (2nd only for portion not price), from there she will take a look at the appetizers for a soup or salad she enjoys, 4th would be a serving of just a side dish to hold her over until we can get her something elsewhere.

She has always been able to find something to eat; and of course, we make sure to include lots of places that she has plenty of things she likes as well.

My adult child does this regularly and we have only ever been charged kids meal price. As you say, buffets are different as that price is by age.

If the restaurant is Disney owned you should have no issue, some may serve a larger portion and charge more. If it’s a non Disney owned restaurant, it can go either way and I would have a back up plan, like an appetizer or an adult meal they will eat.

I have a picky 18 year old and have not had any problems ordering off the kids menu for her. But let me add one warning, wait staff often will tell us it is such a small portion that she will still be hungry. She’s not the biggest eater so it’s not usually the case, but sometimes she is talked into getting an adult sized portion of a kids meal. I paid $24 for a bowl of buttered noodles for her last week at Tony’s. I think my spaghetti and meatballs was $28 for comparison. And of course she only ate about half of them so the child’s portion would have been fine:)

So I have 2 "Disney adult" kids, 10 and 15, who are very picky eaters. Most of their palate is geared towards the kids menu options. Occasionally my 15 yo will eat something a little more adventurous, but mostly what they both eat is what I call "tan" foods...chicken fingers, pizza, mac and cheese etc...all carbs ugh.

We want to do a couple of TS meals OOP on our next trip, but as I'm looking at a lot of the menus, I'm not really seeing much that my kids would eat: absolutely nothing my DD 10 would eat and maybe a couple of options for my DD 15.

I understand that if it's a buffet or price fixe meal that we would have to pay adult prices, but for most ala carte restaurants since we are not using DDP credits, could they order off the kids menus? It is not because we're trying to save money or a portion sized thing, but strictly because they won't like or eat most adult entrees. And we wouldn't be asking for adult sized portions either; they would both be fine with kids portion sizes.

Thanks for the input!:)
When you say "a couple TS meals OOP," are you implying that the rest of your meals will be on the dining plan? You're extremely unlikely to get value out of the dining plan if you have picky eaters who will be charged as adults and obviously won't be drinking alcohol. I think you would be much better off paying OOP for everything.

I have a picky 18 year old and have not had any problems ordering off the kids menu for her. But let me add one warning, wait staff often will tell us it is such a small portion that she will still be hungry. She’s not the biggest eater so it’s not usually the case, but sometimes she is talked into getting an adult sized portion of a kids meal. I paid $24 for a bowl of buttered noodles for her last week at Tony’s. I think my spaghetti and meatballs was $28 for comparison. And of course she only ate about half of them so the child’s portion would have been fine:)
We never know how much our DS, 13, will eat. We always get the kids meal and then order another one if he wants more.

The servers have always been great for us even getting things that are not on the menu at topolino's as DS will not eat red sauce but will eat alfredo which has not been an option in the past.

Likewise DS was served meatballs with no sauce from Toledo when typically they are not.

When you say "a couple TS meals OOP," are you implying that the rest of your meals will be on the dining plan? You're extremely unlikely to get value out of the dining plan if you have picky eaters who will be charged as adults and obviously won't be drinking alcohol. I think you would be much better off paying OOP for everything.
We are staying at ASMo and booked with the free dining plan promotion, but since it's a value resort we only get the quick service plan. So we were looking to eat at ~2 TS restaurants to supplement.

I have a similar problem. My girl is 10 years old, is a huge Beauty and the Beast fan and really wants to eat at Be Our Guest which she has fond memories of from when she was 4yo - but now we'd have to pay $70 for her, and the only thing she would eat there would be mac & cheese...
I understand adult pricing for kids at buffets, where they can't know how much a 10yo kid is going to eat. But in a restaurant where you're given a measured amount of food, charging all 10+ year olds like an adult, no matter what they order, makes absolutely no sense.

Last edited:
I totally agree. 10 year olds are no where near the average adult meal. Money grab by Disney. Anymore we for the most part don’t do buffets because none of us eat that heavy at one meal. It’s a shame they went to that at Belle’s Castle because it’s a really neat place to see, but is now out of price range for so many.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter