Can some people in a party have magic bands and some not?

bakerjay

Mouseketeer
My parents are taking the grandkids to WDW next week. They are staying off site and didn't purchase magic bands so they just have paper tickets. My two kids have magic bands from a previous visit. First, can they transfer their tickets to them? And if so, can they do so if no one else in the party has them?

Part 2 of my question...can old magic bands be used by new people? My husband and I both have old magic bands but we're not going on this trip. Can we give ours to others going so that they can use them? They are so much easier to manage than paper tickets. $13 per for 7 people is not worth the money but to have to buy for just 3 people instead...more worth it.

Do you have your kids' tickets already? If so, simply input the ticket order number/s (or will call numbers) into your MDE account and link those tickets to your kids' profiles. The old magic bands that are already linked to their profiles can then be used to access those tickets. If they are purchasing tickets when they get to WDW, a CM at ticketing or guest services can do this for them - just have them bring the magic bands along with them when they purchase the tickets.

It doesn't matter if some in the party have MB's and others don't.

Magic Bands that have already been linked to profiles cannot be transferred to others. If guests are staying offsite and don't have MB's linked to their own profiles from previous stays, they would need to purchase a MB if they really want one, but it's certainly not necessary. Perhaps look into plastic lanyards for the plastic tickets instead of spending money on MB's?

1) nobody is required to have a magic band. You can use cards for your FP's and park entry just the same. Magic bands are just more convenient. There's nothing put on to a magic band. You put your tickets into your mde account, which your magic band is also linked to. Your magic band just reads the stuff in your mde account and let's the park know you have valid tickets, a FP, etc. Nothing is actually put on to the band, this is why it's not big deal if you lose a band.

2) No. Once magic bands are linked to an individuals mde account, they can not be transferred to someone else

1) nobody is required to have a magic band. You can use cards for your FP's and park entry just the same. Magic bands are just more convenient. There's nothing put on to a magic band. You put your tickets into your mde account, which your magic band is also linked to. Your magic band just reads the stuff in your mde account and let's the park know you have valid tickets, a FP, etc. Nothing is actually put on to the band, this is why it's not big deal if you lose a band.

2) No. Once magic bands are linked to an individuals mde account, they can not be transferred to someone else
Perfect! Found my son's old band, not my daughter's. But my main reason for asking was because my mom bought the memory maker package and I see that for some of the ride photos, it helps to have a MB. So, they now have his and should be all set.

I don't wear or bring my Magic Band as I find the rubber band uncomfortable. I just use my Annual Pass card.

I don't wear or bring my Magic Band as I find the rubber band uncomfortable. I just use my Annual Pass card.

By annual pass card do you mean the yellow card with the Mickey head on it? I had to ask for one after I upgraded my ticket to an AP, and I don't think there is anything it is linked to, he just handed me one to show for discounts.

Perfect! Found my son's old band, not my daughter's. But my main reason for asking was because my mom bought the memory maker package and I see that for some of the ride photos, it helps to have a MB. So, they now have his and should be all set.

Where are your kids tickets located in the MDE system? It may be it won't work.

EX: My kids were all on my MDE because I booked trips and tickets. When my DS2 bought his first AP he set up his own MDE. None of his MB on my MDE will link or work with that ticket. So if your kids MB are on your MDE and your parents bought tickets and put on their MDE it may not be possible. Not sure if IT has changed much but it might not work.

And if the MBs are too old you won't know if the battery is still working so the active RFID part might not pick up the photos you are thinking about.

If your kids tickets are on Grandma's MDE then they will have no trouble scanning for photos, but if the tickets are on your MDE then you need to make sure you all are Friends & Family with Grandma so she gets any photos they scan.

No, once a MB is assigned to a person it is theirs forever, can't be given to anyone else.

By annual pass card do you mean the yellow card with the Mickey head on it? I had to ask for one after I upgraded my ticket to an AP, and I don't think there is anything it is linked to, he just handed me one to show for discounts.

No that is an actual AP that can be used to enter the park, FP+ terminals and get discounts. I don't think they can just hand you a blank AP card for discounts (and we have had our card scanned) because that opens them up to giving away to folks who don't have AP. You probably didn't notice them input the numbers or scan into the system.

And if they handed you a blank card, shame on them.

Where are your kids tickets located in the MDE system? It may be it won't work.

EX: My kids were all on my MDE because I booked trips and tickets. When my DS2 bought his first AP he set up his own MDE. None of his MB on my MDE will link or work with that ticket. So if your kids MB are on your MDE and your parents bought tickets and put on their MDE it may not be possible. Not sure if IT has changed much but it might not work.

And if the MBs are too old you won't know if the battery is still working so the active RFID part might not pick up the photos you are thinking about.

If your kids tickets are on Grandma's MDE then they will have no trouble scanning for photos, but if the tickets are on your MDE then you need to make sure you all are Friends & Family with Grandma so she gets any photos they scan.

No, once a MB is assigned to a person it is theirs forever, can't be given to anyone else.

No that is an actual AP that can be used to enter the park, FP+ terminals and get discounts. I don't think they can just hand you a blank AP card for discounts (and we have had our card scanned) because that opens them up to giving away to folks who don't have AP. You probably didn't notice them input the numbers or scan into the system.

His MB is from 2015 so I now realize it likely won't work for ride photos.

My mom bought the kids tickets and linked them to her MDE. His MB had previously been linked to my MDE. However, in 2015 when the MB was used, my parents came with us on that trip and I linked them to my MDE. So, when my mom bought tickets for this trip, my kids already showed up in her MDE because we were all linked from a previous trip. Does that make sense?

His MB is from 2015 so I now realize it likely won't work for ride photos.

My mom bought the kids tickets and linked them to her MDE. His MB had previously been linked to my MDE. However, in 2015 when the MB was used, my parents came with us on that trip and I linked them to my MDE. So, when my mom bought tickets for this trip, my kids already showed up in her MDE because we were all linked from a previous trip. Does that make sense?

Makes sense but I just go to my example, my DS was already in my MDE, now in new own MDE. Sees everything in both. But the MBs that are “loaded” on to my MDE won’t attach to new ticket loaded in his MDE. Been a few years, maybe that has changed.

They can just use their hard tickets or I would buy new MB. Not sure when going but you can often get on sale on Disney Store website. Might be worth it for the few extra photos.

A couple years ago they were saying that the band held your AP and had a card for discounts, not an actual AP. Depending on when the poster upgraded, that might be what they had.

Makes sense but I just go to my example, my DS was already in my MDE, now in new own MDE. Sees everything in both. But the MBs that are “loaded” on to my MDE won’t attach to new ticket loaded in his MDE. Been a few years, maybe that has changed.

I’d call Disney IT and have that fixed so he’s the same profile on both MDEs.

if its super old, you may want to make sure the battery life is still good. I believe their lifespan is 2 years

if its super old, you may want to make sure the battery life is still good. I believe their lifespan is 2 years

I do not know myself, but I read somewhere that there are two kinds of chips in the MB, one is powered upon touching the receiver, the other is powered by the battery. The latter is only used when no receiver is present, for instance, matching photos and things like ride video of 7DMT. So just for admission, an MB with a dead battery should be OK.

I do not know myself, but I read somewhere that there are two kinds of chips in the MB, one is powered upon touching the receiver, the other is powered by the battery. The latter is only used when no receiver is present, for instance, matching photos and things like ride video of 7DMT. So just for admission, an MB with a dead battery should be OK.

That is correct.
BUT, the OP is only in real NEED of the long-range chip...

Found my son's old band...
I see that for some of the ride photos, it helps to have a MB. So, they now have his and should be all set.

So, in this case, a dead battery would be a problem.

I’d call Disney IT and have that fixed so he’s the same profile on both MDEs.

We spent plenty of time with IT, a couple times. No go.

It's not a big deal, he bought some specialty MB and uses those.

A couple years ago they were saying that the band held your AP and had a card for discounts, not an actual AP. Depending on when the poster upgraded, that might be what they had.

I upgraded a 7 day hopper to an AP last August outside Epcot at Guest services. He did it all through my MB, told me I was done, and then I had to ask for the card for discounts. I'm pretty sure he just pulled it out, wrote my first initial and last name on it, and handed it to me, although I have never tried to use it for admission.

We spent plenty of time with IT, a couple times. No go.

It's not a big deal, he bought some specialty MB and uses those.

I just went thru getting this type of thing fixed a few weeks ago with IT. 2 different nieces that had set up their own MDE accounts - had the nerve to think they didn't need to ask me how to do it properly with invitations and such. ;) :rotfl: Anyway - what I learned is not all the IT help is schooled in this - or not schooled well - but it got done and the MB's they had under my MDE profile were able to be moved over to the new ones they had created. One was just at WDW and it worked fine.

I just went thru getting this type of thing fixed a few weeks ago with IT. 2 different nieces that had set up their own MDE accounts - had the nerve to think they didn't need to ask me how to do it properly with invitations and such. ;) :rotfl: Anyway - what I learned is not all the IT help is schooled in this - or not schooled well - but it got done and the MB's they had under my MDE profile were able to be moved over to the new ones they had created. One was just at WDW and it worked fine.

Glad to hear they figured it out.

But I would rather spend the $13 to deal with Disney IT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!