can someone pls answer this for me? (sad...?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who has struggled with weight, healthy eating, exercise and body image most of my life (I'm now in my 40's), I beg of you, don't stress about this on your cruise. Enjoy your vacation. It's ok. You will not be able to go to the fitness center, but you can use the track, use the stairs instead of the elevator, etc. Do some body weight exercises (push ups, squats, crunches, etc.) If you are going to CC, you can also look into running the 5K if that interests you (or riding a bike on CC as well). If you happen to verge from your regular diet and exercise routine, and end up eating more or exercising less, it's ok. Many trainers I've worked with actually encourage a break or change in routine every now and then.

Some people have suggested going to the teen club on the first night and asking the staff there whether you can schedule some gym time.

My recommendation? Lots and lots of dancing!
Gym is not always the most fun way to stay active, even outside of the holiday taking up a sport might make being active a long term habit as opposed to an effort.

My recommendation? Lots and lots of dancing!
Gym is not always the most fun way to stay active, even outside of the holiday taking up a sport might make being active a long term habit as opposed to an effort.

Great idea! My teen-aged sons pointed out that the cruise was a great and unusual opportunity for them. They were on a ship with other teens and they got to know them and spend a week with them, but after that, they'd never see them again. So they could go out and do things like dancing etc. that they might normally not do.

It sounds like you've been given some very good advice. I would like to also recommend the benefit of the promenade deck (Deck 4) . You will find just as many people walking there as jogging. I would suggest walking about 1.5 miles on the deck once or twice a day. There are signs on the deck that tell you how many laps equal a mile. It's so nice and healthy to be walking next to the ocean and the air is great. I have found that regular walking controls weight for me just as well as going to the gym.
I also agree with the suggestions to take the stairs and avoid soda. In the meanwhile, enjoy that steak and ice cream cone and have a great cruise!

The Bread Basket OY, the dreaded bread basket, try to avoid it. Its my weakness for sure.
You can ask your server to bring you some fresh cut up veggies to nosh on in place of the bread.
ill just try to avoid eating the hole basket lol
It sounds like you've been given some very good advice. I would like to also recommend the benefit of the promenade deck (Deck 4) . You will find just as many people walking there as jogging. I would suggest walking about 1.5 miles on the deck once or twice a day. There are signs on the deck that tell you how many laps equal a mile. It's so nice and healthy to be walking next to the ocean and the air is great. I have found that regular walking controls weight for me just as well as going to the gym.
I also agree with the suggestions to take the stairs and avoid soda. In the meanwhile, enjoy that steak and ice cream cone and have a great cruise!
Thank you! i normally go on the pool deck and get a drink from that machine so ill probably try to get icetea,lemonade,Gatorade if they have that :D but thanks once again!

OP, this is one week. That’s it. It’s not going to mess you up for the rest of your life.

[...]

Shudder. That statement is a seriously dangerous one in the minds of some people. Like me starting at the age of 9. And given that the OP just became a teen it could be dangerous for him or her as well. That statement just isn’t true, first off, or some people are eating the wrong things, and second it’s a doorway to eating disorders in many.

And yes at WW I would say this every single time someone made that statement.

Please don’t say it to teens...

As someone who's actively working to lose weight and who's in WW, and who has struggled with binge eating:

T H I S.

"Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!!" is one of those statements that makes me feel like there's no hope of achieving my goals. It makes me equate enjoying my food with the crushing inevitability of never losing weight...and now that I've actually made my way to a program and a mental/emotional place where I am losing weight, I realize how absurd that is. I remember being in college and thinking to myself "Well, I'd rather be fat than unhappy," because it seemed like everywhere I turned I was being told that the only way to be healthy was to stop enjoying the act of eating. And yeah, that had a major, negative impact on my health for years. It took me a long, long time to get to a place where I could learn how to stay within the rules enough to lose weight and get to the shape I wanted to be in while bending those rules enough to enjoy myself and avoid feeling deprived and wanting to give up. Being able to splurge here and there is what makes it possible to stick with the program. So you know what? Being thin feels great. So does eating pie. They're not mutually exclusive.

And, so? On a cruise? Moderation. I expect to gain some weight back on this trip, and I've made my peace with that. I'm going to keep it reasonable, though, by loading up on veggies and lean proteins for at least two meals out of each day, avoiding eating to where I feel stuffed, and staying physically active. And if I gain, I gain. I can always lose it again later. And that's what I'd like the OP to take away from this: as long as you get back on track afterward, a week-long trip is not going to make or break your journey.

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!!
Heard that in Weight Watchers 30 years ago and it rings true.

Have a good time get your ice cream cone and enjoy it. If you taste in moderation you will be fine.
My son in law is a gym rat in his normal every day life and on cruises he goes to the gym twice a day, which is crazy cause he still gains weight.
But he always tells me once he gets home and goes back to his regular eating schedule and routine, he looses anything he gained really fast.

You can do this, moderation is the key, a couple pounds is okay, don't beat yourself up over it.

Just go and have a great time!

REALLY? You say this to an 11-13 year old? Shame on you.

You know what I think when I hear that “nothing tastes as good” phrase? I think eating disorder at worst and unhealthy relationship with food at best.

To @DaneParkerIRL - focus on being healthy and not on how much you weigh. Being thin isn’t everything. And being happy and beautiful doesn’t depend on your size. It depends on who you are on the inside.

I think it’s great that you want to be active and healthy during your cruise - but mostly I hope you have fun, kiddo!

Moderation and sharing can help manage portions and trying out all the yummy food offered. DD20 is a bit overweight and she has been like that since her preteen years. We have been on 5 Disney cruises. She always gains about 5-6 lbs after a cruise but loses them once school starts. We shared appetizers and desserts. The only killer is the soft serve ice cream cone. She must have one each day on the ship. She studies very hard over the school year and I am not going to limit her fun food-wise or activity-wise on our vacation. All she wants is sleeping in and eating. I am the one who goes to gym every day. For us, dining is an important part of our vacation. Just enjoy yourself and make sure you stay active on the ship and you can have the best of both worlds!

i normally go on the pool deck and get a drink from that machine so ill probably try to get icetea,lemonade,Gatorade if they have that

Unsweetened iced tea is available in the MDRs but the drink stations have pre-sweetened. The lemonade might be “light.” You are aware that Gatorade is not a “healthy” drink? It has less sugar as soda but still and unhealthy amount. (My DD is your age and we have this conversation all the time.). I’d suggest water, and bring some of those flavorings like MIO or something. It gives a little taste but doesn’t add the sugar and calories.

My main advice - be active! There are lots of opportunities to get out and about. Join the other kids or walk with your mom. Go on excursions or talk you family into just exploring at each port stop.

Enjoy your cruise!

what im trying to say is im probably not gonna eat healthy like im gonna have steak and icecream and stuff...

That is your choice. You can choose to eat healthier if you want. No one is holding a gun to your head and saying "eat 'icecream and stuff'".

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!!
Heard that in Weight Watchers 30 years ago and it rings true.

Thankfully Weight Watchers has moved away from harmful sayings like that.

I gain a lot on a cruise usually 10 pounds in a week. When I get back I usually lose 5 pounds right away. The other 5 pounds takes a couple of weeks for me. So in 2 and a half weeks I’m back to where I was before the cruise.

Please try to enjoy your cruise and not worry too much about food and your weight. Like many previous posters mentioned, you will do plenty of activity naturally on the ship, running around to various activities, going up and down the stairs (make it a point to avoid the elevator when you can), etc. Try to do a walk around the ship on deck 4 once a day - you’ll get wonderful views and some good exercise - but if you can’t don’t sweat it! Part of the point of a vacation is to get away from real life and relax both mentally and physically. That doesn’t mean you can’t try to make healthy choices while you’re on the ship (some of the salads at dinner are amazing!), but recognize that moderation is important (in day to day life too!) - enjoy some treats and sweets, and don’t feel bad about it.

Aby

REALLY? You say this to an 11-13 year old? Shame on you.

You know what I think when I hear that “nothing tastes as good” phrase? I think eating disorder at worst and unhealthy relationship with food at best.

To @DaneParkerIRL - focus on being healthy and not on how much you weigh. Being thin isn’t everything. And being happy and beautiful doesn’t depend on your size. It depends on who you are on the inside.

I think it’s great that you want to be active and healthy during your cruise - but mostly I hope you have fun, kiddo!

listen it was something that was said to me years ago at a meeting that helped me to think twice before I put junk in my mouth. I have never dealt with an eating disorder. I would never try to hurt this child by that sentence. I took it for the way it helped me.

To the young person who I suggested this to it was not meant to make you have a bad thought in your head about food and what you eat.
Enjoy your cruise and have fun

Everyone has posted so many great tips.
Yes the gym is 18+ only. But don't let that hamper you. You can use the walking/jogging track and don't forget basketball courts!
I always make it a habit to NOT eat the bread they serve with dinner. That is generally empty calories. I would rather save those instead for a desert for example. Set some boundaries for yourself and ask someone you are cruising with to help keep you accountable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter