Can we add a guest for part of our stay?

ClosetDisMom

Mouseketeer
We are new to DVC and our first stay as owners will be in July for a week. We hope to get a 1 br that sleeps 5. We are a family of 4, but my mother is interested in coming, too. Can we book the week for the 4 of us and my mother come for only part of the week? Do all people on the reservation have to stay the whole time?

I hadn't seen this in the board threads I've read so far, so I thought I would ask. :)

As far as I know, you can't add someone for just part of your reservation.

Unless you're buying the dining plan, or you plan to have someone else stay with you on the days your mother isn't there, you can add your mother to the reservation for the whole week. Disney won't care if she's only there part of the week.

Agreed. You would just have her listed for the entire stay. You can book ME for her for whenever she is arriving and departing.

The Dining plan would be the only issue if you were planning on that. Otherwise it's no issue.

One more thing.

Poly only has studios which sleeps 5. Poly do have the very expensive bungalows which are 2br but most members can’t afford to book them point wise.

We are new to DVC and our first stay as owners will be in July for a week. We hope to get a 1 br that sleeps 5. We are a family of 4, but my mother is interested in coming, too. Can we book the week for the 4 of us and my mother come for only part of the week? Do all people on the reservation have to stay the whole time?

I hadn't seen this in the board threads I've read so far, so I thought I would ask. :)
As noted, you can book 5 in a 1BR but the sleeping arrangements will be tight to non existent. You'll have a King Bed and queen pullout and at a few resorts, you might also have a twin sized pullout. For the DP you'd need to get it for all 5 to add her. Enjoy your first DVC stay.

While specifically staying at the Polynesian Villas, I went to the front desk and added someone to our reservation. We did not have the dining plan, so I am not sure if that would complicate things. They gave me a non-customized magic band for the person as well. But it took forever. If you do not have the dining plan, I would agree with previous posters and just add her beforehand (assuming your room sleeps 5).

While specifically staying at the Polynesian Villas, I went to the front desk and added someone to our reservation. We did not have the dining plan, so I am not sure if that would complicate things. They gave me a non-customized magic band for the person as well. But it took forever. If you do not have the dining plan, I would agree with previous posters and just add her beforehand (assuming your room sleeps 5).
We've done this a couple of times in the past but the process/options have changed. They likely canceled and rebooked your reservations then added the bands/people back in which is the normal process the last I talked to them. This is a risk IMO. There are several reports of people being told no as well. Plus if they need ME, it won't help.

We had absolutely no issues adding my mother for only 3 nights to our upcoming 7 night stay at the BWV. No cancellation/rebooking involved. No issues with magic bands, FP+, or ADRs.

We had absolutely no issues adding my mother for only 3 nights to our upcoming 7 night stay at the BWV. No cancellation/rebooking involved. No issues with magic bands, FP+, or ADRs.
My understanding is the only way to actually add them to the reservation currently is to cancel and rebook the room. The resort can do this and this is likely what they did without notifying you that's what they were doing.

In December we added my aunt to the reservation in about 5 minutes. They gave her a keycard. Easy. No points ever out into holding or any other indicator that they cancelled it and rebooked etc.

I've added guest after making reservations. I either email or call. It is for entire stay. The only time it gets complicated is when you have the dining plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter