Can we just cruise forever?...Fantasy SWDAS - January 27, 2018 - Completed

I think you did well on SWDAS considering you are not huge fans; neither are we (for the most part) so yeah, there were a few characters wandering around that left me thinking "who the heck are you?"o_O:oops: And yes, looks like they have added some new things to this years' cruises.

Still very cool though and I wouldn't hesitate to book another one in the future.

I remembered your trip report about your SWDAS and I must admit it made me more curious about what was going on out and about on the ship. I was glad I went off wandering on my own as I got to see a few characters that I wouldn't have seen, even if i didn't know who they were! :rotfl:

OK, why didn't I get a heads-up about this trippy Jenny? ;) What a fab cruise so far, all our favourite things .. Disney, ports and Star Wars, it all sounds amazing and right up our street. Not so impressed to hear about the poor Bahama Mama on embarkation day, but love and miss Palo Brunch so much (great pics). Did you get a chance to talk to Andrae? I did laugh a little at Scott's Sunset Selfies :laughing::laughing: Looking forward to your Castaway Cay day

Fab photos too :thumbsup2

Friday, February 2nd – Castaway Cay

41390586331_5036e40f64.jpg

I woke up at about 7:30 am as our plan for today was to take our time getting ready and getting off the ship. We had a cabana booked on Serenity Bay and seeing as that wasn’t going anywhere, it seemed like a good idea to just have a relaxing start, especially when you know that tomorrow they are kicking you off! We all agreed that if we were ready at about the same time we would have a leisurely last breakfast in Cabanas. You know, because we’d had such an exhausting week! :p

At about 8:00 am you could see Castaway Cay in front of us. It was going to be another beautiful day, we really had had lovely weather the entire week. :cloud9:

27520764698_bab9925705.jpg

It was about 8:25 when we started the turn to begin the docking procedure.

41390586011_b7f2a9a82d.jpg

They had someone out riding a jet ski around, we weren’t really sure what he was doing but we all agreed it would be an awesome job to have. ::yes::

27520764438_fac14719b0.jpg

Paradise for the day awaits us. :beach:

41390585461_8b518ca621.jpg

It was about 8:50 am when we appeared to be docked and we all agreed it was time to go and get a bite for breakfast in Cabanas. I didn’t get any photographs this morning – I think we were all in complete laid back mode and ready for our beach day.

We moseyed off the ship at about 10:00 am via deck 1 forward, it was a steady stream of people heading off but it wasn’t too crowded.

41390584931_4d6a2f002d.jpg

Aww…so cute!

40676424204_409b6c8bbc.jpg

Everybody managed to avoid all of my attempts to get a photograph here of us together. We were strung out pretty well as we were ambling along and the boys pretended like they couldn’t hear me. :scratchin

41390584311_518fcc322f.jpg

You’ll have to imagine us all here instead of this random guy and his kids. :laughing:

40676423144_e293987e68.jpg

There was quite a crowd waiting for the tram and we let the first one go and then found a seat for Mum to hang out on while we waited for the next one. Scott and Paul stood in the front as the waves of people arriving meant that you’d soon lose your spot on the next tram if you weren’t front and center. One of the cast members saw that Scott had a green Cabana band on and came over and asked which cabana we were in and told us that he could take us to the Pelican Point tram stop. Yay! :Pinkbounc We all piled into the large golf cart that he had and felt a bit guilty for being whisked away while everyone else stood there. But not THAT guilty. :lmao:

41390583891_c95de916d3.jpg

Not sure what’s going on with the grimace/smile I’m sporting here. :teeth:

40676422504_2be4f4a701.jpg

At the Pelican Point tram stop there was a bit of confusion as to whether anyone was available to take us on up to Serenity Bay or whether we needed to ride the tram but eventually they got someone sorted out with a big enough golf cart to get us all there. The funny thing is that he either was fairly new to the Cabanas, or he didn’t go to Serenity Bay much because he didn’t know the way there! :rotfl: Scott and I had to try hard to keep our mouths shut as he took a wrong turn because you don’t want to come across as a total know-it-all :blush: but eventually after a couple of false starts he found his way and we made it. :thumbsup2

This is the road that leads behind the cabanas on Serenity Bay, it also is the bike path that goes up to the point at the end. Don’t you love the phantom empty golf cart shot? :rotfl2:

40676422124_3e2dd4d4b8.jpg

Our little home for the day was ready for us.

41390583621_1ccf7c9ea3.jpg

I had managed to snag cabana #25 again. I have to claim some bragging rights :cheer2: here because I was really not sure that I would be able to get a cabana with being on the bigger ship and not being concierge. When I tried to log in right at midnight there were a couple of glitches and nothing was working which is such a HUGE pain when it’s the middle of the night, and you are trying desperately to book stuff!! :surfweb: Anway, when I did manage to get into the system everything was wide open! I couldn’t believe it!! :scared1: I think the snag must also have messed with the concierge computer system because every cabana was open at the moment that I looked, including all of them on the family beach!

40676421354_2ef171f0b4.jpg

This is just a perfect spot for chilling out and it’s in the shade a lot of the time at this time of the year. Side note: When Scott and I were in this cabana in August last year, there was barely any shade at all – it really did make having the cabana almost pointless.

41390583231_3f3225e0c8.jpg

First time this has been put back up once we were in the cabana, it’s usually just been left lying on the side so they can get the golf cart in and out.

40676420124_b26353d248.jpg

The view from the sign looking towards the beach.

40495291715_a337620cf1.jpg

Except for Mum we all decided to venture down and see how chilly the water was. It was absolutely beautiful to look at, but it was chilly for us.

40495305705_ff47fbe1bb.jpg

We decided that we’d postpone a trip into the water until later and headed back to go and order some drinks! :thumbsup2 We pressed the buzzer and waited but after about 20 minutes our host hadn’t arrived. Scott and Paul decided to walk down to the Castaway Air bar and get the drinks. They found our host at the end and he said his pager hadn’t gone off. While they were gone the server who was getting drink orders on the beach came by, and I asked him to check back with us later for another drink order. We all settled in for a relaxing lounge session. There were lots of little birds coming in and out of the open windows.

41390581581_f39cf94645.jpg

Scott and Paul were doing their own version of bird watching. I think there were some Baywatch flashbacks going on. :laughing::laughing:

40495304005_942e2ce1f5.jpg

Back to the feathered variety :) we cut up some grapes and this little guy was happy.

40495303195_ddcfd644db.jpg

Scott went off to get into the hammock and took these photos. I love the blue sky and palm trees, it’s a perfect way to relax and forget about real life.

40495302785_d00ff05848.jpg

27520766778_7100e2342e.jpg

But apparently he was still bird watching, feathered variety anyway…:-)

40495301655_2af68cce44.jpg

Yummy drinks!! We initiated Belinda into the Konk Cooler club and she agreed they are delicious. :drinking:

40495296635_45a28926fc.jpg

We tried buzzing our cabana host again to come and pick us up for lunch as it’s quite a hike from that last cabana down to the BBQ place for Mum. :drive: Eventually we gave up and we all just walked down there. Again, he was a bit clueless as to why his pager hadn’t gone off and said he would check it while we were at lunch. I didn’t get any photos of lunch but I know we all got a good selection of stuff and there was also ice cream and cake involved at the end for me. :yay: Javed was working and we said a quick hello to him, he was hanging out in the back somewhere most of the time so it was hard to say much to him. Probably avoiding us! :lmao: Sufficiently stuffed the girls all got in the golf cart for a ride back. The golf cart only held 4 people so the boys walked back. I tried to get our cabana host to take us to the end point so that Belinda could see it, but he didn’t understand what I was saying I don’t think as he ended up at the cabana, dropping the rope and driving us all the way to the step. :rotfl::rotfl:

We decided it was high time we got ourselves in the water and ventured down onto the beach. Belinda declined to get in further than her ankles as she was dubious about the sea life that was swimming around. She is a big nature lover but not when it can swim around her! :scared1:

Maureen, Paul, Scott and I all braved the cold weather and managed to get past various points of body parts that caused you to suck your breath a little more than others! :scared: There isn’t much to see but we got some photos anyway. It's also really hard to see on the underwater camera what you are taking a photo of, so it's sort of a surprise when you get back to see what came out. :goodvibes

40495300795_e1c0ff3e84.jpg

It’s a fish!! Hmmm…maybe not... just a leaf. :laughing:

40495300195_a8eaf5d2b3.jpg

Cool looking “stuff” although I don’t know what it is, there’s no coral at SB so it has to be a grass or seaweed of some type, right?

40495299575_a102e7c95f.jpg

Last edited:
Proof that we were got in the water, although it wasn’t deep at all and the sandbar was easy to get to without really more than waist deep.

40495299145_a2dd5752f3.jpg

Still no sunglasses for Paul. :rotfl:

40495298795_35bfda6330.jpg

There’s an annoying water spot on this one from the underwater camera but it’s still a beautiful view.

41390579591_ce4073a2a3.jpg

One of the things that put Belinda off getting in past her ankles was all the worm/crab holes so we found this one and took a photo of it for her. :fish:

40495298045_0363b6872d.jpg

Looking back at the beach, it really wasn’t all that crowded even though we are used to the Classic ships and a smaller passenger count, it wasn’t that noticeably different.

41390579241_63d8b909ba.jpg

Finally found something to take a photo of although I don’t know that I know what it is! :confused3 :rotfl:

40495297405_94cd8e5e5b.jpg

We didn’t use the floats that come with the cabana as it was just too chilly. The only time we have ever used a float was when Scott and I were there last August, the water temperature was beautiful to us then.

41390578741_8c10145de2.jpg

The rest of the afternoon consisted of lazing around, talking about being lazy, and just being lazy in general. :blush: We managed to amuse ourselves watching people walking out past the buoys that are just past the sandbar and the life guards having to get them to come back in. It's the little things. :rotfl2: At about 3:45 pm we tried to make a decision on whether we wanted to go shopping or not,. We couldn't make a decision for the life of us, so just decided to try the buzzer again to see if we could get a ride. Eventually we did manage to get his attention and he came to get us but he only had a regular golf cart and it couldn’t fit all of us. Paul and Belinda said that they would just ride the tram back and the rest of us got on the golf cart to go back to the ship. We decided not to stop and shop as there was probably no way we could get another ride, and one of the luxuries of paying all that money for the cabana is the ride back to the ship! :snooty::snooty:

41390578221_87142a118b.jpg

For the first time ever we didn’t tip the cabana guy much :crazy2:. We did tip him but nothing like we have in the past, he really wasn’t very good at all and basically gave us a ride back from lunch, and a ride back to the ship (but not for all of us) and I just felt like he hadn’t remotely met the service we had had in the past. Very much a first world problem though. :teeth: The lines to get back on the ship weren’t awful and we were soon back in our cabins to get the last few minutes of watching the island from our veranda.

40495295985_987132efbb.jpg

Awww…Heads Up bar…we didn’t make it there…next time.

41390577351_c8942757d7.jpg

We left right on time and watched the island disappear behind us.

40495295275_9a010eddc6.jpg

Unfortunately, this also signals the time that we needed to start packing. Wahhh…:sad::sad::sad: We all got our packing done and ready for luggage to be put out. We decided to skip the 2000’s music trivia tonight as we had wine we had left to drink and we were all just happy hanging out, besides, we knew we wouldn’t be any good at it! :laughing: We put our suitcases out before leaving for dinner. Tonight we were back in Enchanted Garden. I was determined to get a before and after of the light’s opening.

27520765868_6ec3a075c0.jpg

The photos came out fairly pink tonight, not sure why, we didn’t get that much sun! :bitelip::bitelip:

41390576801_df88bb95dc.jpg

40495294715_fa9ffaaba0.jpg

I got chicken satay for an appetizer and Scott got the ahi tuna.

40495294485_e6da9743b5.jpg

40495294225_99971c2dec.jpg

Asparagus soup for one of us…I’m thinking me.

40495293985_f4fd780048.jpg

We both got the Beef Wellington – it’s one of the best things on the menu all week in my opinion. :thumbsup2

40495293675_7fde3a2465.jpg

Yay – remembered to get the second photo! :banana:

41390586951_9aea693090.jpg

Tonight’s trick from Javed and he finally got one that stumped the guys….he was so happy he finally beat them. :goodvibes

27520765478_ba18fa81cf.jpg

Dessert for Belinda...you get what you ask for on Disney. :laughing:

41390575461_47f7f85553.jpg

I don’t remember what this is? A cheesecake of some kind but I know it didn’t taste all that great and we left most of it.

40495293445_92a56e90d4.jpg

After a fairly subdued and quiet dinner we all decided to call it a night and skip the Til We Meet Again show in the lobby even though it's one of my favorites. Our last animal was a cute crab. :thumbsup2

41390575231_862dd99f53.jpg

We all sat outside for a while and watched the waves go by. It’s nowhere near as fun on the way back in as it is on the way out :cool: but we did have a pretty moon tonight.

41390586601_cb1931c18e.jpg

The waves looked pretty with the lights shining on them. This was straight down – right where Paul lost his sunglasses! :cool2::cool2:

27520765018_4c75927f34.jpg

And that about wrapped up our night. We all went to bed reasonably early knowing that we had a travel day ahead of us tomorrow. Boooo! :sad1:

Coming up: Debarkation

Last edited:

OK, why didn't I get a heads-up about this trippy Jenny? ;) What a fab cruise so far, all our favourite things .. Disney, ports and Star Wars, it all sounds amazing and right up our street. Not so impressed to hear about the poor Bahama Mama on embarkation day, but love and miss Palo Brunch so much (great pics). Did you get a chance to talk to Andrae? I did laugh a little at Scott's Sunset Selfies :laughing::laughing: Looking forward to your Castaway Cay day

Fab photos too :thumbsup2

Sorry Mandy - I figured I'd spare you the agony of me taking forever to get it done and just let you know at the end! :-) I didn't take notes on this one....never again! I didn't get to talk to Andrae that day, and we didn't see him again. :o I think I've decided I've gone off bahama mamas! :eek: :faint: I haven't really enjoyed one in a while...I know, I know...weird!!! :laughing: You'd love the Star Wars cruises if you ever get the chance to, I know Paul would love all the photo ops.

We were all up fairly early, I'd been awake a lot off and on in the night, somehow that always seems to happen when I know they are kicking me off. ;) I finally got a photo of the door though when I went to take down our magnets! :woohoo:

27632973948_aeb5ac38bf.jpg

I had to run down to the lobby to get the alcohol I'd bought in St. Maarten. I forgot to mention earlier that I had to figure out what I was going to do with it. :confused: I wasn't even thinking about it when I bought it because we are so used to cruising out of Galveston and not having to fly afterwards. I really wanted to use the onboard airline check in as it is so much easier, but with the booze not being available until debarkation morning that wasn't going to happen. :confused3 Belinda couldn't check her luggage on the ship for her international flight though, and so she agreed to shove it in her suitcase and take it back to the UK. So now I need to bring it back from the UK next time I go. :rotfl: It was about 7:30 am and I also took a quick look at the bill on my way back in and shoved it right into the suitcase. Best not dwell on that! :laughing: Cruises would be so much cheaper if one or both of us were to give up drinking! :rotfl: :drinking1

Port Canaveral was already in the throws of getting the ship turned around but at least the weather wasn't too great - somehow that always makes me feel a bit better! Ha ha :goodvibes

40791132934_e8cb626ef7.jpg

27632973738_ca731f8fd1.jpg

Seriously...how can it be time to reset already?? Blink...yup, time for you to go!! :lmao:

40791131834_d3f8683997.jpg

We went down for breakfast and I think we all got Route 66, but now I'm thinking someone may have gone rogue and got something else. We said goodbye to our servers. Luis was leaving for vacation today so he was very happy. :cheer2:

41504428281_3f2e62cacd.jpg

Getting off the ship was painless and the line moved quickly in immigration. By 9:15 am we were on the bus to go back to the airport and although we couldn't get seated together, we got close. Besides, everyone has their face buried in their phones checking email etc. anyway. :D

40791130874_1bd8227180.jpg

41504427771_987472f84a.jpg

One last photo of the Fantasy as we pulled away. I always think of all the people that are waiting to board and how they have all the excitement ahead...it's so much fun to WAIT for a cruise I think. :thumbsup2

40791128244_5ff1d2912a.jpg

We breezed on through to MCO and got the booze switched into Belinda's suitcase. We were hoping Belinda could check in for her early evening flight to the UK, but the British Airways desk wasn't open. I'd booked a day room at the Hyatt for her so that she had a place to hang out for the day along with Maureen for some of that time as she had a flight a couple of hours after us. Paul was coming back to Houston on business on the same flight as us. We hung out in the bar in the lobby of the Hyatt as it wasn't open yet and was a nice, quiet place to plop down and spend the last bit of time. Eventually we had to say our goodbyes to Belinda and Maureen and get through security. The lines were a bit long, but not too bad, especially as we had TSA pre-check again.

Fake monorail ride.

40791130324_8855388f81.jpg

We had to wait for a little while to meet up with Paul as he'd gone through the other side of security and we headed down towards the gate area. There was a tiny little bar with a snack shop attached that we managed to get a drink from but there were no seats available.

41504426871_a7b5476043.jpg

I downed the bloody mary and Mum and I went to get a seat just down the corridor a little ways. We avoided the gate area because it was pretty busy. Paul sent me this photograph....it was funny though because we could hear them laughing from where we were sitting. :rotfl2:

41504425611_24e03b5b92.jpg

And then it was time to board and get on our way home. Paul was in Economy Plus, so no photo of him, just us 3. :blush:

40791129434_9de3c41e27.jpg

And so that was it...cruise over.... pixiedust: Bye Orlando (glad you aren't sunny today). :rotfl:

40791129194_a747f468ef.jpg

It was another great vacation in the books with a ton of fun memories to go with it and such a fun group to be on vacation with. :grouphug: Thanks for following along and for the kind comments. :wave2::wave2::wave2:

That looks like a great time!

Are those cannelés they serve at the end of dinner in Remy?

What a wonderful trip report - thank you for doing all of that work!!

Going on our first Disney cruise (well, first cruise EVER, actually) in Feb 2019 - Eastern on the Fantasy. So **&#%%$ excited!! Me, DH, and DD (7). And, after we booked, found out it's a SWDAS! So, needless to say, I'm addicted to these boards, these trip reports, and all things Disney right now!

Looks like you had an amazing time!!

I'm glad you guys had so much fun! Can't wait for your next trip!

Than you! We don’t have another booked for us all yet, I’m trying to convince everyone to do a southern out of San Juan. :hyper2:
That looks like a great time!

Are those cannelés they serve at the end of dinner in Remy?

Yes, they are the same thing! I really want to love them, and they are growing on me - I’ll have to try them again. ::yes::

What a wonderful trip report - thank you for doing all of that work!!

Going on our first Disney cruise (well, first cruise EVER, actually) in Feb 2019 - Eastern on the Fantasy. So **&#%%$ excited!! Me, DH, and DD (7). And, after we booked, found out it's a SWDAS! So, needless to say, I'm addicted to these boards, these trip reports, and all things Disney right now!

Looks like you had an amazing time!!

Oh how exciting! So many things to look forward to! Definitely keep stalking the trip reports you learn a lot plus it’s just fun to read up on. :thumbsup2

Aww and just like that it's over!!

Sorry the Cabana host was less than stellar. I know like you said, first world problems, but those Cabanas are not inexpensive to rent during your stay at CC and part of that is for the host. Bummer. Still, glad it was a gorgeous day!

Back to reality....sigh...it bites :laughing:

Sorry Mandy - I figured I'd spare you the agony of me taking forever to get it done and just let you know at the end! :-) I didn't take notes on this one....never again! I didn't get to talk to Andrae that day, and we didn't see him again. :o I think I've decided I've gone off bahama mamas! :eek: :faint: I haven't really enjoyed one in a while...I know, I know...weird!!! :laughing: You'd love the Star Wars cruises if you ever get the chance to, I know Paul would love all the photo ops.

Hey Jenny, I don't even know why I went looking for your trippy, I haven't been on the DIS in yonks ! This may sound shocking, but I can't drink Bahama Mamas either, I think they're too fruity for me now and they send my stomach doo-lally :rotfl::rotfl:

What a lovely day in Castaway Cay, you're photos are fab :thumbsup2 I do miss not sailing with DCL, but we just cant justify their prices anymore, and it's only just over 4 weeks till we'll be heading back to the Oasis of the Seas with our girls .. so excited :jumping1:

Please let us know if you're heading back over the pond this summer, and if you have time for a catch up :) x

Aww and just like that it's over!! Back to reality....sigh...it bites :laughing:

It really does! :goodvibes I need a permanent vacation. ::yes::

Hey Jenny, I don't even know why I went looking for your trippy, I haven't been on the DIS in yonks ! This may sound shocking, but I can't drink Bahama Mamas either, I think they're too fruity for me now and they send my stomach doo-lally :rotfl::rotfl:

Hmmm...this confirms my suspicion that it's not just me! :cool: I agree, too fruity...that's pretty sad that we are *cough* outgrowing (= getting too old :rotfl:) for them! :scared1::scared1::scared1: I'll send you a message about our UK trip. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the great trip report...I love following your trips :-) :mickeyjum:tinker:Can't wait for the next one !!

I see that you were in AP on SWDAS. I'm guessing they don't do the Crush show or the one when you draw a character then and that you go to AP on 2 other nights so you can still have those shows? I'm guessing it would be the same if you were scheduled in AP on pirate night? We did SWDAS in Jan 2017 and weren't in AP on pirate night or SWDAS. We are doing another SWDAS next year and I'm debating if I should make a request to not have pirate night in AP. We ate at Tiana's last month on pirate night and were so rushed during dinner, missed the beginning of the pirate show because we had just gotten our desserts. If they don't do the shows on that night I guess it wouln't matter. I don't care if we were to miss the Crush show, just don't want to rush through dinner again. Thanks

I see that you were in AP on SWDAS. I'm guessing they don't do the Crush show or the one when you draw a character then and that you go to AP on 2 other nights so you can still have those shows? I'm guessing it would be the same if you were scheduled in AP on pirate night? We did SWDAS in Jan 2017 and weren't in AP on pirate night or SWDAS. We are doing another SWDAS next year and I'm debating if I should make a request to not have pirate night in AP. We ate at Tiana's last month on pirate night and were so rushed during dinner, missed the beginning of the pirate show because we had just gotten our desserts. If they don't do the shows on that night I guess it wouln't matter. I don't care if we were to miss the Crush show, just don't want to rush through dinner again. Thanks

I would think that if you are in AP for either pirate night or SWDAS you will have it 3 times on your rotation so you don't miss either of the shows. We had both the Crush show and the Animation Magic show in addition to the SWDAS night. We typically skip pirate night in the main dining room and go to Palo that night. You could always go to Cabanas if you want to have a quicker meal. All of the dining rooms have the same menu that night, so regardless where you are for your rotation it will be the same menu. :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!