"Can We Sneak Out of Spirit of Aloha?"

Hisgirl

DIS Veteran
Yep. A question I began asking myself mid-show.

I actually started making an exit plan and would have done it, WOULD HAVE DONE IT....but just as I was about to make my move, out comes the real show and my interest was peaked.

I say 'real show' because everything previous to this was like a 1968 Lawrence Welk TV show. My husband actually turned to me and said, "This is the very first dollar we have spent at Disney that I wish I hadn't spent".

Why on earth did they think it was a good idea to include this fake romance bit? It was sooo lame.

At the very end when the action picked up, the dancing was energetic and fun, the fire guy....THAT was what we came to see!

And the food. The food was so bad. SO very bad, omg. The chicken skin was fatty and greasy, the ribs few and fatty, the salad plain, the noodles cold and so alone (but the only thing with any flavor surprisingly), the bread was plain even though I was looking for flavor, plain tasting rice. It was just so bad.

Of everything we have seen at Disney, this show warrants a refreshing. Cut out the boring entertainment, improve the food. Do something. We will never return to this but we would go to the Hoop de do review any day. But the very end entertainment was fantastic and the performers were great! 15 minutes of fun for a lot of money.

I have read so many bad bad bad reviews. Apart from the very end energetic highly talented dancing and fire work, does anyone really enjoy this show and think the food is good?

Oh thank you. DS13 wanted to go on our last night and I keep trying to talk him out of it. Now I'll just show him this. Between bad food and romantic storyline he'll be out.

Oh thank you. DS13 wanted to go on our last night and I keep trying to talk him out of it. Now I'll just show him this. Between bad food and romantic storyline he'll be out.

We unfortunately took our 12 year old grandson and he spent time under the table every time they were trying to get people up front, LOL! He was bored silly and really only paid attention when the young dread-locked awesome guy with fire did his bit. Total waste of money.

We did it on our first trip in 2004. It was an epic disappointment except for a small portion of the entertainment. Back then the food was also not good. There were no kid-friendly options, and my 6 year old wouldn't eat any of the food put in front of us. She had hoped for characters, and there were none, so she was miserable. It was very hot and long and not entertaining for the most part. It was a really big let down.

We have this booked for our arrival dinner at the Poly in Sept, thinking of cancelling it now. I was nervous about booking it in the first place and now I am pretty sure it is not for us.

I want to thank everyone on this thread for their reviews. Now I have to figure out how to talk an 8 year old out of this place. We just got back from 10 days at the AKL but the girls want the Poly in 2021 and Maria picked this place for her birthday dinner in 2021. Any places to suggest and any ideas on how to steer her away from this? And are their any redeeming parts to this dinner show if I can't talk her out of it?

I want to thank everyone on this thread for their reviews. Now I have to figure out how to talk an 8 year old out of this place. We just got back from 10 days at the AKL but the girls want the Poly in 2021 and Maria picked this place for her birthday dinner in 2021. Any places to suggest and any ideas on how to steer her away from this? And are their any redeeming parts to this dinner show if I can't talk her out of it?
You have three years to convince an 8 year-old girl who will be an 11 year-old tween by the time you go in 2021. You’ve totally go this. She will grow and change a lot by then. She will most likely want something different by then, and in the meantime, you can give her some new ideas.

I k
You have three years to convince an 8 year-old girl who will be an 11 year-old tween by the time you go in 2021. You’ve totally go this. She will grow and change a lot by then. She will most likely want something different by then, and in the meantime, you can give her some new ideas.
I know I have 3 years but I am still worried. She is stubborn and an extreme over planner. People have mistaken my god daughter for one of my daughters because of her nature. If you ever think of any places we can try I am open. She wants a place that we have never been to before and that includes all the trips before she was born. We stay for 10 days at a time so there are not that many places we have not been to. I am sort of hoping that new restaurants will open that might interest her.

I k

I know I have 3 years but I am still worried. She is stubborn and an extreme over planner. People have mistaken my god daughter for one of my daughters because of her nature. If you ever think of any places we can try I am open. She wants a place that we have never been to before and that includes all the trips before she was born. We stay for 10 days at a time so there are not that many places we have not been to. I am sort of hoping that new restaurants will open that might interest her.
It's hard to make suggestions not knowing where you have eaten, but if I were turning 11, I would want to get dolled up at the Bippity Boppity Boutique and then dine at Cinderella's Castle. If that is old news, perhaps she might enjoy a spa experience at the Grand Floridian followed by dinner there at 1900 Park Fare or one of the other restaurants there.

If you still have to go it's not so terrible but you'll definitely wish you had had something else to eat for dinner and the boring part of the show with the dancers wearing long flowery dresses and singing slow, crooning songs (Lawrence welk-ish) just went on soooo long. The very end maybe 15 minutes of hard and fast dancing with hula skirts and lots of half naked men with muscles dancing this cool island dance is the ONLY thing that redeemed it. She is going to be bored out of her skull for the first hour and 15 minutes. B.O.R.E.D. And I agree....she will be a TOTALLY different girl at 11. A pre-teen, too cool to tan and not wanting the same things an 8-year-old will want. Give it some time and if you have to go, you have to go.

You asked for redeeming qualities, Ken, and my answer is the last 15 minutes. LOL!

The OP’s food sounds worse than what we were served. Ours was more ho-hum than terrible. My description of it is your corporate Aramark cafeteria on Hawaii’s Celebration of Statehood day.

It’s AYCE drinks except all you can enjoy is 3 beers at most. Just try to get a 4th one out of them...I dare you. ;)

It's hard to make suggestions not knowing where you have eaten, but if I were turning 11, I would want to get dolled up at the Bippity Boppity Boutique and then dine at Cinderella's Castle. If that is old news, perhaps she might enjoy a spa experience at the Grand Floridian followed by dinner there at 1900 Park Fare or one of the other restaurants there.
You are brilliant. We have had breakfast 3 times at CRT but never dinner and I am starting to look at youtube videos of BBB with an emphasis on Ariel (her favorite). I took her sister (my daughter) there many years ago before she was born. If I can get her to watch these she may change her mind without me saying a thing.

You are brilliant. We have had breakfast 3 times at CRT but never dinner and I am starting to look at youtube videos of BBB with an emphasis on Ariel (her favorite). I took her sister (my daughter) there many years ago before she was born. If I can get her to watch these she may change her mind without me saying a thing.
pixiedust:

I am so going to show these reviews to DD; she wanted to go this trip, and I could not justify the cost after hearing about so many poor experiences. I hate to add another nail into the coffin, but during the summer months, storms often move in around the time of the first show.
I have been at the Poly many times when the early show has been cancelled due to weather. If anyone really wants to see this show in the summer, book the later show.

I am so going to show these reviews to DD; she wanted to go this trip, and I could not justify the cost after hearing about so many poor experiences. I hate to add another nail into the coffin, but during the summer months, storms often move in around the time of the first show.
I have been at the Poly many times when the early show has been cancelled due to weather. If anyone really wants to see this show in the summer, book the later show.
We did it in July on the hottest and most humid day ever. I was a sweaty mess taking the family souvenir photo. It was torturous sitting there feeling as if we were being held captive with lousy food, a rude waiter, and a show that was only entertaining for a small portion. I was wishing a storm would come along and make it end.

We did it in July on the hottest and most humid day ever. I was a sweaty mess taking the family souvenir photo. It was torturous sitting there feeling as if we were being held captive with lousy food, a rude waiter, and a show that was only entertaining for a small portion. I was wishing a storm would come along and make it end.

:rotfl2: You know a show is pretty bad when you start hoping to see rain, wind, and lighting.

KenHutch, How would your daughter feel about, instead, renting a pontoon boat for the fireworks show? So many other ways to spend the money and not walk away disapointed! Have yall done the Africa Trek in Animal Kingdom? It was FANTASTIC! And we felt, worth every dime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter