Can You Combine Resale and Direct Points to Book 11 months out?

DisneyDad77!

Earning My Ears
Hi I am looking to purchase my first DVC contact and I am torn between Direct and Resale. If I bought 300 points resale at Vero Beach and then a small 25 point direct contract for Poly. Could I book a 325 trip for Poly at 11 months out and use my Vero and Poly points?

No. It has nothing to do with buying direct and resale. The home resort 11 month window is only for the points at that resort. You would need to wait until 7 months if you need to use more than the 25 points you have at the Poly.

No. It has nothing to do with buying direct and resale. The home resort 11 month window is only for the points at that resort. You would need to wait until 7 months if you need to use more than the 25 points you have at the Poly.

Thank you for the information!

Hi I am looking to purchase my first DVC contact and I am torn between Direct and Resale. If I bought 300 points resale at Vero Beach and then a small 25 point direct contract for Poly. Could I book a 325 trip for Poly at 11 months out and use my Vero and Poly points?
If it worked that way, we'd all buy "cheap" points and a small contract at our favorite resort in order to use them at the 11-month mark. The often-repeated mantra on DVC boards is "Buy where you don't mind staying." If your goal is to stay in WDW resorts then buy a WDW resort.

FWIW, Vero points are cheap but the annual dues are among the highest in DVC. Over the long haul, you will pay more for those points than you would for a contract at SSR or BLT.

And with VB points, you are always booking at 7 months. If you want studios, that can be rough.

If I may ask, why VB?

:earsboy: Bill
Hi, we have a family of 7 and I am tying to avoid financing. It looks like we would need a large number of points to have a week vacation at the time we can go each year. VB seems to be the most bang for my buck from a point perspective but again this is all new to me so I any feedback would be fantastic!

If it worked that way, we'd all buy "cheap" points and a small contract at our favorite resort in order to use them at the 11-month mark. The often-repeated mantra on DVC boards is "Buy where you don't mind staying." If your goal is to stay in WDW resorts then buy a WDW resort.

FWIW, Vero points are cheap but the annual dues are among the highest in DVC. Over the long haul, you will pay more for those points than you would for a contract at SSR or BLT.
Makes total sense! This was very helpful. Thank you!

Hi, we have a family of 7 and I am tying to avoid financing. It looks like we would need a large number of points to have a week vacation at the time we can go each year. VB seems to be the most bang for my buck from a point perspective but again this is all new to me so I any feedback would be fantastic!
Take a close look at the yearly Maintenance Fees at VB. These fees can really eat in to any savings from buying there.

Select the best UY for your vacation patterns.
Buy where you love to stay.
Book at 11 months.
Buy resale if you can.
If you buy additional contracts, keep the same UY and names on deeds.
DVD/DVC marketing can change the perks at any time.
Perks and policies tend to change when management changes.
Expect to spend more on Disney vacations after you buy DVC.
VB is a poor choice (see prior posts), plus they get special assessments due to storm damage.
There are no work a rounds, you get what you pay for.

:earsboy: Bill

I strongly suggest staying at the DVC resort that you are considering before you purchase. A lot of people purchased sight unseen only to learn that they really don't care for their home resort. You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it first.

Thank you for all the Disney love! All of your advice and information is fantastic! Thanks again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter