Can you pay for week rental but. . .

janiejo

Mouseketeer
I am wondering if I can book a car at the weekly rate, since it is cheaper, pay for the car as though I had used it the entire week, but turn it in early. Do the rental companies penalize you for early return? Trying to get a car for New Year's and I can save over $50 a car (three families going) if I do this. Thanks for your help!

I also had this problem. No matter how you book the car (weekly, daily), charges aren't assessed until you return the car. If you turn it in after 5 days, that's how you will be charged. That was how I was told it worked by one rental car company.:(

Is there someone who could turn it in for you? Did you try other car rental places for better prices? Believe me, they vary greatly from place to place! I have found Dollar to be the cheapest with one of these codes: FVG, ENTERTAIN, MCC, FISH.

Now, I would love to take the credit for these codes, but alas I can't! I found them right here on these DISBOARDS!:bounce: :Pinkbounc

Good luck!

Some agencies will re-calculate the charges based on when you actually return the car. Check the agencies rules, many give you the weekly rate after 4 days and 2 hours some 5 days and 2 hours. I don't think any actually require 7 days. If you don't qualify for weekly rate try to use a coupon for a free day.

I did this!! However, it was about two years ago so my memory isn't the greatest! I believe I rented thru Dollar. I want to say it was a 5 night trip and I made the rental for a week because it was cheaper. I paid at the counter when I picked up the car (which is normal). When I returned it, that was it. Nothing was said. I had already paid in full. We actually had a 5 night trip set up in December and I planned on doing the same thing. Well, our 5 night trip has turned into a 10 night trip! Hey, maybe I will look at doing a two week rental!!

Lisa

As Lewisc suggests, it's best to check with the particular rental agency to be sure there are no early return penalties.

Some companies charge the same for a 5 day rental as they do for a 7 day rental. Dollar is one of them, which is probably why LisaR did not have to pay a penalty for her early return. You may encounter different policies over the Holidays or other high demand times.

Enjoy the planning - sounds like a fun trip!

Generally for rental cars a week is anywhere between 5 and 7 days. Most of the major car companies go on 24 hour days. So if you pick up at noon each day starts at noon. However, I belive all rental car companies can (and normally will) change you from the weekly to the daily rate if you come in under 5 days. I just looked at my last Hertz contract and it says that I am subject to higher charges if I return at a different time than specified. I would NOT take this chance with ANY of the companies since the rate they will upgrade you to is the walk up rate. (No discounts so it can be very expensive!)

Although 5 days is necessary for a weekly rate for some (most?) agencies 2 hours causes you to be charge an additional day. If you rent for 4 days (a day being a 24 hour period starting with the time you check out your car) but go over an extra 2 hours you'd qualify for the weekly rate. Some agencies may require a Saturday night to qualify for a weekly rate. May be a good reason to extend your stay an extra night.:D
BE CAREFUL, if you're staying overnight in the airport (late flight coming in) it might be cheaper (weekly rate) to pick up the car the night you fly in.

Thanks for the replies. I was afraid of that answer. I have booked the car for the five nights of our stay and will just accept that fact that I have to pay the higher price!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter