can you rent 2 way radios at Disney?

dutton

Mouseketeer
My mom and sister seem to think this service is available. Can anyone tell me if they are correct? We will definately need some!

We borrowed two-way radios for our last trip. They were more trouble than they were worth. There were SO many people using them that we couldn't find a good channel. We were constantly listening to other people's conversations ("We're heading to Dumbo now"), and the times we actually tried to use them we never did get through. We tried to keep them off during rides and attractions.

We ended up using our cell phones. That way they're only making noise if they're in use, and they have a much better range. (Of course, we didn't use the phones during rides either.)

Our 2-way radios came in very handy during our recent trip. I'm not sure if WDW rents them, but I have been to other parks that do. They are expensive to rent. If you plan on renting them for more than 2 days, I would just buy a set. You should be able to get a set of 2 at Wal-Mart for around $75 or so. When buying a set, look for those that have 14 channels and also have subchannels. Subchannels are very important in a crowded place like WDW. Otherwise, you are more likely to get interference from other parties. If buying at Wal-Mart, stay away from the Bell South brand of radios. Motorola's are great, but also expensive. I found Cobra's to be a nice radio. BTW, take an extra set of batteries. They cost a fortune in the parks.

We own the Motorola TalkAbout 250 radios and they work great when you are in the same park. There have 14 channels and 38 interference codes so you should not have ANY problems finding a frequency that is yours alone. We have also rented radios from In Touch in Orlando. (They used to be a sponsor of this site.) Their radios are actually cell phones without dialing the number - they are connected. These radios work from park to park - up to a 30 mile radius and they are great when your party splits up and goes to different parks. We have used our cell phones as well but the bad thing with them is waiting to find a signal, making the connection, etc. The In Touch radios and the Motorolas are always on the same channel - you just push the button and talk. We wouldn't travel without them - they are great! In Touch delivers the radios to your hotel and picks them up. I know the Disney resorts can rent radios for you as well but I don't know what company they use. Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter