Canadian Disney Gift Cards

Discussion in 'Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board' started by Datney, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

I used them on my last trips to DL & WDW and they worked fine. I have always used gift cards at the parks instead of using my Visa or Mastercard. But I also go to other US destinations as well so have a USD checking acct & Visa. Before you could use Canadian Disney gift cards at the parks I’d just buy them once I arrived in WDW with my US Visa.

2. Tinkershelly

Tinkershelly <font color=royalblue>DisneyWorld trip winner!<br>

I have been too and not found them anywhere since they first came out at the Walmart in Bedford.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. ebharris

ebharris Mouseketeer

I found the gift cards at Shoppers here in Winnipeg. I picked up one for each of my kids for our summer trip, and will get more-it’s a decent way for them to have spending and snack money in the parks.

Side note, the manager told me that they can order the cards they want, so if you can’t find them you may want to ask mgmt if they’ll order them!

:)

Pumpkin1172 likes this.
  5. star72232

star72232 Mouseketeer

Has anyone seen Disney GC at Shell?

6. b33ching

b33ching Earning My Ears

Was debating charging vacation package to AMEX (2x the points on travel) or no forex fee by using GC. Found a way to do both. Went to local Shoppers and purchased GCs using AMEX. Shoppers is considered "grocery" which still incurs 2x the points! Then also found out I have enough DMR points for some USD GCs! Will be securing my exchange rate once the reward GCs come in the mail.

Every dollar counts when Canadian dollar is so low...

hdrolfe and kuhltiffany like this.
  7. kuhltiffany

kuhltiffany DIS Veteran

I wish! I've been stocking up on GC every paycheque since our closest Shell is part of the 5AM for $5 in-store promotion, but haven't seen any Disney ones...

mab2012 likes this.
  8. StarSeven7

StarSeven7 Earning My Ears

Can anyone confirm that we can use the gift cards purchased in Canada (thinking of buying them at Shoppers) to pay off our room only reservation when we arrive this week?

9. Donald - my hero

Donald - my hero <font color=blue>Aww yes. The dreaded "mouse hand"

A quick scan thru just this thread has pulled up the following answers that confirm, yes you can pay for your RO reservations -- lots are doing it even before they leave home.

10. StarSeven7

Thank you! I was working my way through the thread but we wanted to leave in a few minutes to go buy the giftcards so I wanted to double check before I did that! :)

Donald - my hero likes this.
  11. Donald - my hero

It's super easy to use the search feature on the boards .. I just typed in Room Only, clicked this thread only and hit search. Hope you have a blast next week!

StarSeven7 likes this.
  12. StarSeven7

Just to confirm for anyone else wondering, we bought enough gift cards to pay off the remaining balance on our room only reservation (at Shoppers) and I was able to call it in immediately when I got home and pay off that entire balance. We figure we saved just over $100 on the foreign transaction fee!

13. DavidL

DavidL Earning My Ears

Thanks for the informational post. I've found this to be a very helpful thread. That foreign transaction fee is something that many people don't realize exists because the credit card companies bury it in the exchange rate.

We have an upcoming trip to Disney in August. The idea of purchasing gift cards in Canada is now something is something we are considering..

14. Pumpkin1172

Pumpkin1172 Mouseketeer

I really wish they would do that for Universal Studios as well. It would help to offset some of the cost...instead of having to travel with cash vs credit cards. I HATE HATE HATE giving any extra money to those companies!!!!

15. tinkerone

tinkerone DIS Veteran

Is anyone able to tell me what the exchange rate for the GC are today? I would love to compare to what I get as a rate from my bank. TIA.

16. milena2008

milena2008 Earning My Ears

Just purchased a Disney gift card for the first time and it’s written « card not valid until activated », do we have something to do to activate the gift card?
    Thanks!

17. Donald - my hero

No, once the cashier scans it that will activate it ... simply means that you can't take a gift card off the shelf and walk out of the store without paying for it.

18. milena2008

milena2008 Earning My Ears

Thank you!

19. isabellea

isabellea Combining beach and Disney!

Two days late but I registered one of my GC today and the website shows 19.74$USD for 25$CDN. I also got 100$USD from BMO and I paid 130.54$. Now you need to figure out the calculations to compare (sorry I cannot help you with that).

20. tinkerone

tinkerone DIS Veteran

Thanks. I actually went and bought a $25 gift card so I could figure it out. I'm retired bank staff so the rate I get is better than the rate others get. Having said that, the rate of exchange on the GC works out to exactly the same as the rate of exchange I get on US dollars from being staff. Looking at that example, buying GC's is a much better deal for the average person but doesn't benefit me so much. I think I am going to use my Air Miles to purchase them though. It will be a round about way but still money I don't have to lay out.
    Again, thanks for your answer. :flower3:

ETA--The examples you gave work out to $1.266464 for the gift card and $1.3054 for the cash so you can see you are gaining almost 4 cents per dollar with the card. Not bad at all.

21. DucksDad

DucksDad Earning My Ears

You got approximately $76.60 USD for $100 CDN from the bank and $78.96 USD for $100 CDN through the gift card. Canadian Disney gift card wins by approximately 3.08% (i.e. $78.96/$76.60 = 1.308)

isabellea likes this.