Canadians...Disneyland?

We're in BC and frequent DL. I think you've received a lot of great information so I don't have much to add, but can concur:

-Carthay Circle is a great restaurant, we like to go there for a sit down lunch in the middle of the day.
-We've done the WOC dessert party twice and love it (we are also a family of 4). I won't watch WOC going forward without doing the dessert party!
-We had a horrible experience at Wine Country Trattoria so we won't ever go back there
-If you want to have alcoholic drinks in DCA you will need your passport to show as ID - not in the restaurants but at the various cart kiosk vendors at the Cozy Cone Motel. It can be a bit hit or miss but mostly they want to see your ID and do not accept drivers licences if you live outside of California. No booze at all in Disneyland.
-in downtown Disney we really like La Brea for a sit down meal.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

We are going in July, and did book the Canadian discounted tickets so I guess we won't upgrade to park hoppers. That was my mistake, I had it in my head that because we were there for a week we could do the 5 days split between the 2 parks and not have to change.

@Sue M - I'm curious to hear what you think of Trattoria for PTN, looking forward to hearing your thoughts! We are going to book Blue Bayou, but I think just for dinner or lunch and not for Fantasmic. @tlcdoula mentioned Hungry Bear for the Fantastmic package and I think that may make sense for us just because the BB prices are high when you look at my kids - no longer kids pricing...but I'm told they'll likely be allowed to order from the kids menu at BB if not a dining package. I'm going to check out Fire and Ice as well as Pizza Press for ideas out of the park.

Same for the dessert package for WOC. I can't justify the cost for 4 of us for WOC, so we'll try to get a fast pass one day when we are there. I've learned my lesson in the past, my kids love the shows but they don't need front and centre. You know?

@Frozen2014 thank you for sending me in the direction of your trip report. I'm going to read it as soon as I have time! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Universal, we did buy passes to go on one of our LA days. We have the Loews Hollywood booked for our time in LA. Going July 19-31.

Thanks again!
Lunch at B.B. is cheaper. We requested a waterfront table and got it. We had early lunch. Had Monte Christo sandwich, yum! Comes with a cup of gumbo that was really yummy.

Yes, dessert party for WOC is pricey. It was our splurge. For dinner we had corn dogs lol! Our seating was above one of the FP areas. I’m not sure about all the different areas but my suggestion is try to position yourselves by a rail or something so nobody is in front of you. Because once WOC starts up pop all the shoulder children. Now after waiting an hour you have an 8 foot person in front of you blocking your view. So disrespectful to those behind them. And no need. I’ve seen dads hold their children so they can see, and they are not on shoulder blocking everyone’s view.

Def. get the Max Pass, really worth it. Esp for ride and character pics! You don’t have to buy every day if you don’t want. You can pick what days to get them.

Tower of Terror is now Guardians of the Galaxy, so great! I love ToT so wasn’t sure how I’d feel about the new theming but I loved it.

I will post about Trattoria! Can’t wait, under 2 weeks now! Tomorrow I’m going to start laying things out to pack!

To get the best seats for WOC dessert party (IMHO), request a tall table in the front row and if you can't get that, then a tall table in front of a short table.

We were just there in January with a 5-day park hopper pass got through air miles. I know lots of people park hop, but we never did even though we had the option! We spent 2 days at California Adventure Park and 3 days at Disneyland. This was totally fine for us, had more than enough to do spending the full day at the parks.

We did buy MaxPass every day, which we thought worked great!

I'll admit we've been to WDW far more times that DL in Cal, so take my advice based on the fact that we've only been to DL twice.

We stayed at the Grand Californian Villas both times and it was great and the location is fantastic. However, on our last trip, the pool was being renovated so we had to go to the other resort pools. We did that once, but decided it wasn't worth the bother.

Our favourite section is, of course, Cars Land. We moved between the parks each day. I didn't find the restaurants great, but our favourite was Carthay Circle. We prefer table service so I don't have any suggestions for quick service meals at the parks. I was a bit disappointed in Blue Bayou with regards to the quality, but the food was okay. First time we went, we had a great location, the second time was not so great. We did all enjoy the gumbo (I think that's what it was) but we don't usually eat that so I'm not sure if it would be considered good for others. The main course were okay...I can't even remember what we ordered.

Other than those, we ate at Wine Country Trattoria, Carnation Cafe, Cafe Orleans, La Brea Bakery Cafe, Rainforest Cafe and Story Tellers Cafe. These were all fine, but nothing special.

We did also have a snack at Ghirardelli and Haagen Daz - both very good.

The only quick service we did have a meal in was White Water Snacks at the resort, but we only went once and it wasn't very good.

So my only suggestion would be a dinner at Carthay Circle. We went there twice and both times were excellent. :)

I'll admit we've been to WDW far more times that DL in Cal, so take my advice based on the fact that we've only been to DL twice.

We stayed at the Grand Californian Villas both times and it was great and the location is fantastic. However, on our last trip, the pool was being renovated so we had to go to the other resort pools. We did that once, but decided it wasn't worth the bother.

Our favourite section is, of course, Cars Land. We moved between the parks each day. I didn't find the restaurants great, but our favourite was Carthay Circle. We prefer table service so I don't have any suggestions for quick service meals at the parks. I was a bit disappointed in Blue Bayou with regards to the quality, but the food was okay. First time we went, we had a great location, the second time was not so great. We did all enjoy the gumbo (I think that's what it was) but we don't usually eat that so I'm not sure if it would be considered good for others. The main course were okay...I can't even remember what we ordered.

Other than those, we ate at Wine Country Trattoria, Carnation Cafe, Cafe Orleans, La Brea Bakery Cafe, Rainforest Cafe and Story Tellers Cafe. These were all fine, but nothing special.

The only quick service we did have a meal in was White Water Snacks at the resort, but we only went once and it wasn't very good.

So my only suggestion would be a dinner at Carthay Circle. We went there twice and both times were excellent. :)

Thanks so much for the suggestion on Carthay Circle, I'll add it to the list. The only other one that you mentioned that we have on our list is Carnation Cafe - not great?

For Cars Land, do you have kiddos and how old are they? I'm hoping the Disney magic remains for my kids who are now 12 and 15...and amazing kids but I'm hoping not too cool to do all the kiddie rides with me! :) I'm sure they'll indulge their mom. Hopefully. ;)

thank you @chris1212 for telling me that you didn't park hop and that it was fine! I'm hoping we will be okay. I'll think the overwhelming suggestion is to try MaxPass. So, while expensive I think we will do it at least on one day in DL, and maybe one in DCA. We'll see how the crowds are.

thanks @Aladora for that suggestion, I've noted the table requests. Here's a question for you...our kids have ZERO interest in WOC. At 12 and 15 would you let your kids loose in DCA while we did WOC with a decided meeting place once the show was done? I'm usually pretty concerned about safety, but I have never felt unsafe at a Disney park. Thoughts? I think I'm more likely to splurge for WOC if it's just my DH and I as my kids have no interest and the food would be a(n) (expensive) waste on them.

@bcwife76 thank you for your suggestions - your mention of passports brought up something I haven't considered, do I need our passports for when we get our vouchers turned into park passes? You're the second person to recommend Carthay Circle to me so I'm adding it, as well as La Brea. Thanks!

@Sue M have you started packing? :) :) :) I am looking forward to hearing about your trip! Did you think the WOC dessert party was worth it? When we last went we did a picnic type dinner, but it was the year WOC opened and crowds were bananas...maybe they're still like this? We aren't huge fans of that, and I can't sit on the ground due to a back injury, so we'd have to do the dessert party if we did it. See above...trying to decide if I could let my kids loose on their own for a bit...

:)
Erin

If you go back, definitely try Napa Rose! If you are big foodies, go there and sit at the chef’s counter.

Erin, my older one was 12 when we went and he loved Carsland. Radiator Springs is a blast, but so is the Mater ride (it's more fun than it looks the way it whips you to the side)...and Luigi is so cute with the dancing. That's what I love about Disney...it really appeals to all ages. The classics are at DCA too...Toy Story and Soarin....and California Screamin (which I think they are modifying for the new theme?) if your kids like upside down rollercoasters. And my 12 year old loved Guardians.

Thanks so much for the suggestion on Carthay Circle, I'll add it to the list. The only other one that you mentioned that we have on our list is Carnation Cafe - not great?

For Cars Land, do you have kiddos and how old are they? I'm hoping the Disney magic remains for my kids who are now 12 and 15...and amazing kids but I'm hoping not too cool to do all the kiddie rides with me! :) I'm sure they'll indulge their mom. Hopefully. ;)

thank you @chris1212 for telling me that you didn't park hop and that it was fine! I'm hoping we will be okay. I'll think the overwhelming suggestion is to try MaxPass. So, while expensive I think we will do it at least on one day in DL, and maybe one in DCA. We'll see how the crowds are.

thanks @Aladora for that suggestion, I've noted the table requests. Here's a question for you...our kids have ZERO interest in WOC. At 12 and 15 would you let your kids loose in DCA while we did WOC with a decided meeting place once the show was done? I'm usually pretty concerned about safety, but I have never felt unsafe at a Disney park. Thoughts? I think I'm more likely to splurge for WOC if it's just my DH and I as my kids have no interest and the food would be a(n) (expensive) waste on them.

@bcwife76 thank you for your suggestions - your mention of passports brought up something I haven't considered, do I need our passports for when we get our vouchers turned into park passes? You're the second person to recommend Carthay Circle to me so I'm adding it, as well as La Brea. Thanks!

@Sue M have you started packing? :) :) :) I am looking forward to hearing about your trip! Did you think the WOC dessert party was worth it? When we last went we did a picnic type dinner, but it was the year WOC opened and crowds were bananas...maybe they're still like this? We aren't huge fans of that, and I can't sit on the ground due to a back injury, so we'd have to do the dessert party if we did it. See above...trying to decide if I could let my kids loose on their own for a bit...

:)
Erin
Well I have to admit that I have to UNPACK from my Dec WDW trip before I can start packing for DL :blush: I started working on packing up my winter clothes today and taking out my summer/spring clothes. Then I can unpack, wash, & pack up for trip. Hope to get it done in next day or 2!

We loved the WOC Dessert Party. My feet and legs really loved it! At 12 & 15 I think they’ll be fine as long as they promise to stick together. And with cell phones it’s easy to find each other in case of separation. Do you have roaming plans for cells? Like a Rogers/Fido Roam Like Home?
You’ll need it if you get Max Pass. Really worth it. WiFi is spotty at the parks.

We have Blue Bayou dinner pkg for Fantasmic. In viewing section we get a pad to sit on for the ground. Will see how that goes! Lol.

It totally depends on your kids but at 12 and 15 I would probably let them explore alone as long as you had a way of communicating.

We leave Saturday at 8am for California (YUL-LAX) and I still haven't started to pack so I took a day off tomorrow to do just that!

12&15 are great ages for Carsland and RSR, I don't think there is a BAD age (unless you are 3 and younger lol and can't get on it!)

As for the passport and your tickets, I *think* yes you will need to show ID (but a drivers licence should suffice for that). It was just an odd rule for alcohol in DCA.

If you go back, definitely try Napa Rose! If you are big foodies, go there and sit at the chef’s counter.

Thank you. I forgot to mention it, but we did dine at Napa Rose on our first visit....although it wasn't the Chef's Counter. I think we'll set that aside for the time that our kids are not with us.

I know this may not be a popular view, but I wasn't thrilled with my meal. It was nothing special. I can't explain it, but although it was fine, the flavours seemed ordinary. I did read the reviews and was expecting more that I received. I would not say it wasn't good. I just wasn't wowed...I was surprised actually. Although I wouldn't recommend it because I felt the price didn't match the quality, I think if someone likes what's on the menu, it would be good to try it at least once.

Erin

I didn't think Carnation Cafe was bad, I think it's fine. It's priced well and the entrees are fine. But it's not something I would rave about. I think all of the table service restaurants we dined in were okay and I wouldn't have an issue going back to them. However, I would try another place if there's something more appealing.

When we first went to DL, my children were 9 and 14. The second time 11 and 16 and they enjoyed everything. My daughter really loved Mater...and my son also thought it was fun. The ride isn't very long, but it was very silly...so if your children enjoy silly rides then they'll have fun. My son absolutely loves roller coasters and has ridden everything since he was able to ride them. He doesn't mind going with his little sister on cute rides. Radiator Springs is excellent, but the other ones are also fun. If your children are up for it, I think the silliest of them, although people may find it a waste of time is the Luigi's Roadster...it actually quite hilarious. We have my son on video riding it and he ended up being the one in the middle dancing with a partner and that was worth every penny of the whole vacation. He is always a good sport and that's what makes it fun. It wasn't thrilling just hilarious...

My son was 2 when we started going to WDW. A few years later, we brought my daughter at the age of 9mths. They are now 13 and 18 and still LOVE everything Disney. We used to go to WDW twice a year for 2 wks each. A few years ago, we added the DCL to the mix and then Aulani and DL. We've stayed at Disney's Hilton Head and Vero Beach also. To us, it's all Disney. My children still love Disney. But now Disney is much bigger than WDW.

Last edited:
12&15 are great ages for Carsland and RSR, I don't think there is a BAD age (unless you are 3 and younger lol and can't get on it!)

As for the passport and your tickets, I *think* yes you will need to show ID (but a drivers licence should suffice for that). It was just an odd rule for alcohol in DCA.
The US alcohol rules have changed, I do t know if they vary state to state? We were in a restaurant (Ale House) in Florida. Both myself and daughter (30 at the time) ordered a drink. They asked her for ID, and DL wasn’t enough. They said they don’t accept DL from a different country and needed a passport! We don’t carry around our passports and they wouldn’t serve her.

The US alcohol rules have changed, I do t know if they vary state to state? We were in a restaurant (Ale House) in Florida. Both myself and daughter (30 at the time) ordered a drink. They asked her for ID, and DL wasn’t enough. They said they don’t accept DL from a different country and needed a passport! We don’t carry around our passports and they wouldn’t serve her.

California needed a passport. I was asked about 1/3 of the time but then again, I am 46 so hard for me to pass as under 21!

California needed a passport. I was asked about 1/3 of the time but then again, I am 46 so hard for me to pass as under 21!
Crazy law! They used to accept DL. My daughters almost fell down laughing when I was asked for ID!

Crazy law! They used to accept DL. My daughters almost fell down laughing when I was asked for ID!

My sister in law was 30 and we were at Carthay waiting for our table. She tried to order a drink in the lounge and was denied because she forgot her passport at the hotel. When we got up to our table and our waitress asked about drinks, I made a comment that sounded like my SiL had already had a drink so she was able to get a glass of wine at dinner!

My sister in law was 30 and we were at Carthay waiting for our table. She tried to order a drink in the lounge and was denied because she forgot her passport at the hotel. When we got up to our table and our waitress asked about drinks, I made a comment that sounded like my SiL had already had a drink so she was able to get a glass of wine at dinner!
I’m in my 60’s so think I’m fairly safe from passport check, although I was in my mid 50’s when I was carded at liquor store :rolleyes2 but one of my daughters is going with me to DL, she’s 28. I hate bringing passport to the parks.
My other daughter was on Space Mtn, it was our last ride on our last day and her purse flew out of the car. She had it on the floor. They retrieved it after park closed, and mailed it to us. Good thing her passport wasn’t in it. They probably would have had to shut ride down to get it. I wonder if a photocopy of her passport would work?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!