Cancun...where to stay

Alexle2007

DIS Veteran
We have decided to spend Christmas in Cancun so we can be swimming instead of shivering on Christmas Day. We will not be leaving our resort. It's DH, DS10 and me. Any recommendations on an all-inclusive resort?

Cancun or riviera maya area? How important is the beach water? Some resort are really nice but full of seaweed

Cancun or riviera maya area? How important is the beach water? Some resort are really nice but full of seaweed
Either is fine. DH likes the beach and DS and I prefer the pool so it would be nice to have a nice beach if possible. Although we were just in Punta Cana and dealt with the seaweed (although they were always out there raking the seaweed.)

Following! I can recommend a nice adults-only all inclusive but that doesn't help you. But we're planning a getaway for maybe next winter and would love to know what people recommend!

Royalton riviera cancun is great for
All ages. Great food and service. Beach has lots of seaweed at times. Larger resort but laid out nicely. Modern and new

Dreams riviera cancun is a smaller property. Good for smaller younger kids. Beach ok

Both have unlimited a la carte dinners with no reservations. Huge plus to us!

Barcelo maya palace has a gorgeous stretch of beach. Part of a big complex. Reservations required and service not as good

Playacar area has nice beaches. Only stayed at the iberostar Tucan. Cool jungle resort with monkeys!!! Food no where near as good. Lots of buffet meals. Yuck!

December can get chilly. I would look for somewhere with a heated pool.

Check travel sites to get resorts in ur budget and narrow ur list. Then hit TripAdvisor to help narrow it down further.

We love that area so much. Heading down for our 10 th trip but this will be adults only at live aqua.

deleted my post due to wrong info for this topic .. location etc

Last edited:
Please be aware there is a Mexico Hurricane Season too.

It is separate from the Florida Hurricane Season (although the dates are the same)

Yesterday our local NEWS (San Diego) had a segment on Tropical Storm Lidia and the damage it did to Cabo San Lucas Resort

I am totally out of my league when it comes to planning a trip South of the Border

I do not know where the Resorts are located.

If it was not on the NEWS yesterday I would not think to mention it.

Hopefully this type of weather will not be a issue for you.

Hurricane season in Mexico officially lasts from the beginning of June through the end of November, but you're at most risk of encountering a hurricane between August and October. Hurricanes and tropical storms can affect weather on the Caribbean coast of the Yucatan Peninsula, the Gulf Coast, and the Pacific coast.

That is hurricAne season. Same for everyone. Always a risk. The storm u are quoting is on the west coast and cancun is on the east.
We live on Long Island and there is always the possibility of a hurricane hitting. Just something u prepare for. A fact of life.

If you want lots of variety while never leaving the compound, look into the Palladium south of Cancun towards Tulum. There are 5 separate resorts with exchange privileges (except to the high-end adults only Royal Suites). They are all within walking distance of one another and there's a 24/7 shuttle service. Tons of different themed pools, beach access, kids club, dining choices and entertainment. I'm not really an AI person, but if I was going to be confined strictly to the resort, I'd go back to some place like this.

We are taking our grandson to Cancun for his winter break and staying at the JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa. Haven't yet visited, but looks nice.

We stayed at Finest Playa Mujeres last October. Highly recommend it, great resort!

Are there any of these resorts that people would recommend that do not have a timeshare component? I'm so unnerved by the pushiness of a lot of these places, it is just uncomfortable(for me personally). Thanks!

The seaweed is a issue at certain times of the year. Also the water temp in December can be quite chilly... We went to Cozumel in Dec, 3 years ago on a cruise for my friends Birthday celebration and the water was like 78 degrees to cold for me to snorkel in. DH lasted only about 10 minutes they he was out, and it was quite rough. We are both pretty experienced snorkelers and we really had a rough time in our excursion they had to get several other people out of the water that got into trouble... I would look for some place with couple of pools maybe a water park pool set up... and think of using the beach for walking or playing on not so much swimming.

No more Mexico vacations for us - there is a travel advisory for the areas we used to vacation in. The cartel violence is now spilling over into the Cancun/Playa del Carmen/Cozumel area. Just read an awful story about a family killed at a shopping mall in the area yesterday.

We have been there multiple times, but sadly, no more. Our Disney cruise stops in Cozumel next week, but we won't be leaving the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter