Cancun...where to stay

Mexico is off my radar because of the travel advisory, but I really liked the Ritz-Carlton and the Marriott Casa Magna, both in Cancun.

Come stay here in Cozumel. Alot slower paced and more family friendly. Then again I guess Im just a little partial to this beautiful island I call home : )
Cozumel is one of our favorite places we've ever visited. We've been there three times and hated to leave every time. We've looked into purchasing property and moving there in retirement. :love:

Sadly we were also hoping to go to an all inclusive this summer in Mexico but have decided to make other plans. A co-worker just returned from one and he has traveled with the military all over the world. He said there is no way you could convince him to return to Mexico.

How about Atlantis in the Bahamas?

Thanks everyone. We are kind of in a holding pattern trying to see what happens with the different islands and all of these hurricanes and earthquakes. Aruba is looking appealing since it outside of the hurricane belt but the resorts there are so expensive. We loved Punta Cana but we've there 3 times so we were looking for something different.

Sadly we were also hoping to go to an all inclusive this summer in Mexico but have decided to make other plans. A co-worker just returned from one and he has traveled with the military all over the world. He said there is no way you could convince him to return to Mexico.

How about Atlantis in the Bahamas?

Can I ask why?
We just went in april and everything was fine. Same as always. Leaving in a month and have no worries.
just curious.

Can I ask why?
We just went in april and everything was fine. Same as always. Leaving in a month and have no worries.
just curious.

The US issued an advisory on travel to Mexico. I'm sure you'll be fine if you stay at the resort. My co-worker said they ventured within walking distance to a restaurant and were harassed multiple times by people trying to get money from them. Also, he said while he was there many people were talking about how thieves are stealing liquor bottles from the trash, filling them with boot legged alcohol and selling them back to the hotels for cheap. There was a story in the news recently about a nurse who was served tainted alcohol and almost died. I'm sure 90% of people come back fine but he said he felt like he was always on guard during their stay. He said the resort was nice but totally not worth the concern he felt for their safety. That was his opinion there. I've only been to Mexico once and that was a cruise excursion so I have no first hand experience.

The US issued an advisory on travel to Mexico. I'm sure you'll be fine if you stay at the resort. My co-worker said they ventured within walking distance to a restaurant and were harassed multiple times by people trying to get money from them. Also, he said while he was there many people were talking about how thieves are stealing liquor bottles from the trash, filling them with boot legged alcohol and selling them back to the hotels for cheap. There was a story in the news recently about a nurse who was served tainted alcohol and almost died. I'm sure 90% of people come back fine but he said he felt like he was always on guard during their stay. He said the resort was nice but totally not worth the concern he felt for their safety. That was his opinion there. I've only been to Mexico once and that was a cruise excursion so I have no first hand experience.

The recent travel advisory is because of an increase in drug cartel violence. These do not normally occur in the tourist zones. As for being asked for money or pestered by vendors to buy crap or drugs is a normal thing there. They are very nice about it. lol. To us it is just annoying not threatening Much less than in Jamaica where they were relentless.
The alcohol issue was all over the news and I believe the woman died. It was found in certain resorts and bars. Lots of info on Internet.
Everyone's level of comfort is different. We will continue to visit the area until that changes for us. I hope it never does. It is my happy place.
I can't imagine anyone feeling unsafe in the resorts but I am sure it happens.

I agree! I think I would be fine staying at the resorts but my level of comfort isn't there this year so we'll save it for another time.

We loved moon palace!!! They just opened moon palace grand that looks awesome. Going again in April to Sandos playacar.

Fiesta Americana on Cozumel is a wonderful all inclusive. We have stayed there 4 times, most recently in March. A client stayed at the Fiesta Americana at Cancun in May and had a great experience. I'd choose Cozumel over Cancun.

We enjoy staying south of Cancun in the Riviera Maya area. There are many great all inclusives - each offers something different. Dreams have great resorts, we've also stayed at Gran Bahia and Iberostar. I tend to look at TripAdvisor to see what the reviews are. Have a great trip!

It's OK, but I wouldn't leave the resort property - that's just me. We did take a tour to Chichen Itza, which we really enjoyed.

I recommend grabbing the ferry to Isla Mujeres. A little island a 20 minute ferry ride away. Stay Playa Norte. There are 2 AIs Privileges Aluxes and Mia Reef but the food is good and cheap lots of options and it's safe to leave your resort, etc. Tripadvisor has an active forum for Isla Mujeres and there's a facebook group called Islaholics. We were going this week but had to cancel because of a family issue. We were going to stay in a condo complex on the beach called Nautibeach. It has a beach club called Mayan Beach Club.

Otherwise, we love Playa del Carmen about an hour south and Tulum another hour south. But only if you're going for long enough to make the travel worth it...

We just booked the Ritz. What's the surrounding area like?

I go to Cancun every year and sometimes do all-inclusive, but the last few times we've stayed at an airbnb. Anyway, my FAVORITE place to eat when not staying AI is across the street from the Ritz, called Porfirios, check them out on trip adviser, the churro dessert is sooo cute! Harry's next door is supposed to be really good as well, but I haven't tried that one yet. Our next trip is in Feb., can't wait!

I go to Cancun every year and sometimes do all-inclusive, but the last few times we've stayed at an airbnb. Anyway, my FAVORITE place to eat when not staying AI is across the street from the Ritz, called Porfirios, check them out on trip adviser, the churro dessert is sooo cute! Harry's next door is supposed to be really good as well, but I haven't tried that one yet. Our next trip is in Feb., can't wait!

Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!