Candy Cane Inn

StitchyPoo81

Cant get enough of DisneyWorld
I keep going over all the hotels/motels in the area and i keep coming back to Candy Cane Inn because its somewhat cheaper and provides a free shuttle to the parks since my 5 year old hates walking. Has anyone stayed there recently and was it a good experience or a bad experience. And does the shuttle stop at a certain time of night, like perhaps if we are the last ones out of the park will the shuttle get us or do we have to walk. Also can you see any fireworks from the motel ? This is our 1st time at DL we are wow vets... Thanks

Hello! I am a WDW vet as well, but after trying DL in August of 2012 I haven't bothered to go back to WDW! I am a total convert and it's no small feat given that I live on the East coast...

I have been to DL four times now since 2012 and am headed back THIS THURSDAY!! I've stayed at the Candy Cane Inn each and every time and would stay nowhere else unless someone gifted me a room at the Grand Californian.

I was scared to death to stay there because I was a Poly and Wilderness Lodge girl for ten stays. Staying at a tiny motel down the street sounded so wrong!! I chose it based on all the reviews here. I also toyed with Howard Johnson's but chose Candy Cane due to the free breakfast and the shuttle.

Okay, obviously I LOVE it. It's so PRETTY. It's COVERED in hanging baskets of pink flowers. Like seriously, these hanging baskets are everywhere. The cobblestone parking lot is so quaint and the lobby gives out candy canes. The breakfast is cereal, yogurt, pastries, bagels, fruit, coffee, juice, hot cocoa... There is a tiny white tray in the tv armoire that everyone misses, but it's there and you can go gather your breakfast and bring it back to the room, or you can eat it outside along the pool.

The shuttle runs every half hour to the parks and back. It leaves on the hour TO Disney and picks up on the 15 to the HOTEL. So like it would leave Candy Cane at 7:00 pm and drop off guests at the Park at 7:05ish and then stay and wait to pick up guests at 7:15 to take them back to Candy Cane. Then it would wait at Candy Cane for guests going to the Park and would leave at 7:30 to take them there and pick up more returnees at 7:45. It's very timely. We usually walk, however, as it's a ten minute walk. Sometimes it's nice to walk there in the morning when you are energized and excited and then take the shuttle back when your feet hurt. If you miss it though, you do have a half hour wait until it returns. I can't recall how early and late it runs, but I want to say at LEAST an hour before and after. You can call the hotel, though. A real person immediately answers, there is no menu or voicemail of any sort.

Parking is free if you have a car, they sell Disney tickets and park hoppers right at the desk, and even a few souvenirs. There is a 7-Eleven and ABC Mart RIGHT next door and I always immediately go to one of them and buy a big pack of water bottles and a bottle of pump hand soap cause I can't stand bar soap getting all over the place on the vanity.

There is a fridge, coffee maker, and ironing board. Yes, you can see the fireworks from the motel! Ask for a fireworks view but if you don't get it you can just walk to the other side along the U-shaped outer balcony and watch from there. The hotel is right in front of Cars Land and you can see Tower, too. You don't have to cross any major streets, just one small bus turn-a-round area, you literally just walk out of the hotel and turn left and go along the palm tree studded sidewalk with lots of other people where you are perfectly safe. Here's a hint...if your feet are killing you walk on the grass. The difference is amazing.

Ask me anything, I LOVE it there! Oh, last visit was November, 2016. And again, headed there Thursday!

I agree with the previous poster, for all the reasons stated. Candy Cane is where we always stay (unless we are having a rare splurge at the DLH). It is small, and run by real people rather than a giant corporation. The breakfast isn't spectacular but is certainly good to get you going before leaving early for the parks and you can't beat free! Free parking is great--you can usually park right near your room. The shuttle is awesome and I think does go until about an hour after closing. We usually walk as it doesn't take long. We were there last summer and will be again this summer.

CCI is a solid option. Stayed there a number of times including last October. Don't get your hopes up for the rooms. They are decent enough. The energy is good, the grounds are very well kept and the breakfast is better than average,

:wizard:

I keep going over all the hotels/motels in the area and i keep coming back to Candy Cane Inn because its somewhat cheaper and provides a free shuttle to the parks since my 5 year old hates walking. Has anyone stayed there recently and was it a good experience or a bad experience...

We love the CCI and have never had a bad experience there. Same for our family and friends. We use the CCI for our international guests who speak very little English and are visiting DLR for the first time. (It's so much less expensive than staying on site and I know they'll be well cared for.) I make all the arrangements, speak with the CCI management, drop off some gifts and goodies for the room, make sure that everything is taken care of, and leave instructions with the staff to watch over our friends and to contact us if any issues arise (and not to let our friends know that we said anything!). Our friends always leave a glowing report that the CCI was absolutely the best hotel stay of their trip! All their worries about not being able to communicate or about having problems disappear immediately upon arrival. :) They are so well cared for and the staff is always great with the kids. Our friends love everything about the CCI and return there every time they visit DLR. :)

Last edited:
I’ve stayed there 4 times, will be there in 2 weeks and in June. Never had a bad stay. Ever. My 5.5 year old daughter loves the CCI almost as much as she loves Grand Californian. That’s saying a lot.

For the 5 year old I really recommend a nice umbrella stroller. Hating to walk will be a problem in the parks. :)

At home the only stroller we ever used was a jogger for when I would walk for fitness or jog with him.

At the parks, different story. We had a nice mclaren unbrella stroller for him that made everyone’s lives easier. Still used it for our trip when he was 5. When he was 6 we went to Wdw and brought it, but let him choose. The stroller never even got opened. Sat in the entryway to our villa the whole trip. But at 5 he still really wanted and needed it.

Hello! I am a WDW vet as well, but after trying DL in August of 2012 I haven't bothered to go back to WDW! I am a total convert and it's no small feat given that I live on the East coast...

I have been to DL four times now since 2012 and am headed back THIS THURSDAY!! I've stayed at the Candy Cane Inn each and every time and would stay nowhere else unless someone gifted me a room at the Grand Californian.

I was scared to death to stay there because I was a Poly and Wilderness Lodge girl for ten stays. Staying at a tiny motel down the street sounded so wrong!! I chose it based on all the reviews here. I also toyed with Howard Johnson's but chose Candy Cane due to the free breakfast and the shuttle.

Okay, obviously I LOVE it. It's so PRETTY. It's COVERED in hanging baskets of pink flowers. Like seriously, these hanging baskets are everywhere. The cobblestone parking lot is so quaint and the lobby gives out candy canes. The breakfast is cereal, yogurt, pastries, bagels, fruit, coffee, juice, hot cocoa... There is a tiny white tray in the tv armoire that everyone misses, but it's there and you can go gather your breakfast and bring it back to the room, or you can eat it outside along the pool.

The shuttle runs every half hour to the parks and back. It leaves on the hour TO Disney and picks up on the 15 to the HOTEL. So like it would leave Candy Cane at 7:00 pm and drop off guests at the Park at 7:05ish and then stay and wait to pick up guests at 7:15 to take them back to Candy Cane. Then it would wait at Candy Cane for guests going to the Park and would leave at 7:30 to take them there and pick up more returnees at 7:45. It's very timely. We usually walk, however, as it's a ten minute walk. Sometimes it's nice to walk there in the morning when you are energized and excited and then take the shuttle back when your feet hurt. If you miss it though, you do have a half hour wait until it returns. I can't recall how early and late it runs, but I want to say at LEAST an hour before and after. You can call the hotel, though. A real person immediately answers, there is no menu or voicemail of any sort.

Parking is free if you have a car, they sell Disney tickets and park hoppers right at the desk, and even a few souvenirs. There is a 7-Eleven and ABC Mart RIGHT next door and I always immediately go to one of them and buy a big pack of water bottles and a bottle of pump hand soap cause I can't stand bar soap getting all over the place on the vanity.

There is a fridge, coffee maker, and ironing board. Yes, you can see the fireworks from the motel! Ask for a fireworks view but if you don't get it you can just walk to the other side along the U-shaped outer balcony and watch from there. The hotel is right in front of Cars Land and you can see Tower, too. You don't have to cross any major streets, just one small bus turn-a-round area, you literally just walk out of the hotel and turn left and go along the palm tree studded sidewalk with lots of other people where you are perfectly safe. Here's a hint...if your feet are killing you walk on the grass. The difference is amazing.

Ask me anything, I LOVE it there! Oh, last visit was November, 2016. And again, headed there Thursday!

Any tips on which room type to get or location to request? Is there a quieter area or one that’s less of a walk?

We prefer the premium rooms, they are in the back. They will bring you breakfast, you have DVD players, adn they have a welcome gift. Plus the rooms are slightly larger.

Thanks. What’s the welcome gift? Do you know if standard rooms are tiny? Debating because we don’t usualky spend a lot of time in the room. Bringing us breakfast would be nice though

For the 5 year old I really recommend a nice umbrella stroller. Hating to walk will be a problem in the parks. :)

At home the only stroller we ever used was a jogger for when I would walk for fitness or jog with him.

At the parks, different story. We had a nice mclaren unbrella stroller for him that made everyone’s lives easier. Still used it for our trip when he was 5. When he was 6 we went to Wdw and brought it, but let him choose. The stroller never even got opened. Sat in the entryway to our villa the whole trip. But at 5 he still really wanted and needed it.
We are bringing a stroller just in case. I'm not going to lie I'm lazy lol. I saw they had a free shuttle so I figured the price of CCI is almost the same as other hotels so why not stay here so I can be lazy

Is there a big difference in the size of rooms ? I figure we probably won't be in the room that much and it's only 3 of us. What the difference between standard and deluxe

Tarheel had a bad stay in 139. Its near the area where the cleaning staff stores the carts or near the laundry, either way, the staff tends to chat in that area. Not a big deal if you are at the parks while the rooms are getting cleaned. But that is the time of day he takes his daily nap.

I've stayed at the CCI numerous times in the last 12 years. I've lost track of how many. We have always enjoyed our stay there. The grounds are beautiful and the shuttle cant be beat. The regular rooms are on the small size of an average room. We have never had a problem with a family of 4 staying in the regular rooms. We typically request a room in the front, because we like to be near the shuttle bus, pool and breakfast. But, the downside to the front is everyone has to walk past your room to get to theirs. It doesn't bother us. We tend to get up early and stay up late.

Tarheel had a bad stay in 139. Its near the area where the cleaning staff stores the carts or near the laundry, either way, the staff tends to chat in that area. Not a big deal if you are at the parks while the rooms are getting cleaned. But that is the time of day he takes his daily nap.

You forgot to mention the creepy employee who unlocked our door and came in the room and stood there looking at us all super creepy while we were in bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter