Canon lens for the parks?

go cowboys

Mouseketeer
DVC Silver
My daughter has a Canon 60D and mentioned that she might like a new lens for our upcoming trip. She is in college and can't afford much but was wondering if there were any suggestions on a good lens that will give her ability to take wide shots, close up of family, etc?

Thanks so much.

(If you know of any used lenses for sale I would like that info also.)

That 10-18 looks great. I have a buddy at cameralandny.com that may be able to get me new for the refurbished price. I think that will be a great walk around wide angle lens. And I like that Ken Rockwell site. He writes clear, useful reviews. Thanks KVH

Reactions: KVH
If you're looking for wide angle, I love the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. It's sharp as a tack and has the advantage of the wider aperture.

I love it so much it's one of the only crop sensor lenses I kept when I went full frame (it works at 16 on my 6D).

Well she got the 10-18 and loves it. Spent most of yesterday taking photos pf anything sitting still. She says that the pcs are not as clear when she downloads to the computer. Is that usually a problem with the display on her MacBook or just because the pics are automatically enlarged when on a computer screen? Anything I can suggest to her so she gets better results?

That's odd. Even with the IS turned off, wide angles are less susceptible to simple camera shake due to the nature of the lens (just like telephotos accentuate camera shake). Unless the subject is moving way faster than the shutter can capture. Is it happening with every shot? Is it that the subject is blurry or does the whole picture seem out of focus? Then again, if you are pixel peeping at 200% or more, yeah, sharpness will be an issue.

First thing to do is a controlled test. If you have a tripod, even better. Pick a subject that isn't moving - create a still life if you will. Take a properly exposed shot, on the tripod if you can. Repeat w/o the tripod. Load to the PC and compare. This will allow you to at least confirm it is not physical defect in the lens.

Can you post a sample or two? And maybe one that is acceptable in comparison?

The Canon EF-S 18-135 is my go to in the parks on Canon crop bodies. It simply cannot be beaten for versatility, weight and price, especially as a walk-around lens for touring. It's not going to give you much on dark rides, but neither is the 60D quite honestly without some very expensive and heavy prime glass. Buy her an 18-135 kit lens refurbished from Canon and never look back.

The Canon EF-S 18-135 is my go to in the parks on Canon crop bodies. It simply cannot be beaten for versatility, weight and price, especially as a walk-around lens for touring. It's not going to give you much on dark rides, but neither is the 60D quite honestly without some very expensive and heavy prime glass. Buy her an 18-135 kit lens refurbished from Canon and never look back.

yes, 18-135 STM is good (just not quite as wide as 10-18)

The 10-18 is a nice piece of glass. I own one, but I'd hate to think I was spending my entire vacation at WDW with only a WA lens with only 18mm of reach. It's a great landscape lens. For walking around at theme parks, not so much, but that's just my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!