car from BWV

3kidz4dis

DIS Veteran
We have pretty much decided to rent a car during 3/4 of our stay at BWV, mainly because we are doing a lot of character dinners. Can anyone tell me first if we can bypass the valet parking at BWV and park ourselves to save money with all of the inns and outs and also, which of the following places we are going, should we take the Disney transportation instead of our car simply because it would be quicker from BWV?

Magic Kingdom
Epcot
Blizzard Beach
Disney Quest
Mickeys breakfast
Hoop Dee Doo
Crystal Palace
MGM
Boma
Trails End
Whispering Canyon
Animal Kingdom
Gala Feast at Grand Floridian

Thanks so much!

The self-parking lot is just to the right after you enter the parking lot. It is sometimes, full, however, but there is an overflow lot across the street, by the gas station.

I would definitely use disney transportation to the MK (as it's much easier to avoid having to park in the Ticket and Transportation Center and monorail/ferry in to the park) and walk or use disney transportation to Epcot and MGM.
I'd take the car to all restaurants at other disney resorts (use disney bus to get to Crystal Palace).
Blizzard Beach is a toss-up. We, personally, prefer to use our own car. We bring a soft-sided cooler and also arrive early (around 8:15-8:30 am) so we always get a parking spot very close to the entrance. We just prefer not riding the crowded bus home at park closing. We find we can get back much quicker on our own. But some may suggest using the busses for BB.
Have a great trip !

Agree with Maria - we do the same. We always drive to Downtown Disney, the AK (bus service mid day is not as frequent as in the morning) and other resorts (unless we visit them on the way to or from a park). Walking or boating is best to MGM and EPCOT.

Best wishes -

We had a rental car at our stay at BWV. Here's my recommendation:

Magic Kingdom - Disney Bus
Epcot - walk! (or take the boat)
Blizzard Beach - rental car. (we used the disney bus and waited SO long for our return trip. Never again.)
Disney Quest - car
Mickeys breakfast - car
Hoop Dee Doo - car
Crystal Palace - Disney Bus
MGM - walk or take the boat
Boma - car
Trails End - car
Whispering Canyon - car
Animal Kingdom - Disney Bus
Gala Feast at Grand Floridian - Car

The self parking at BWV is very easy. However, it's a bit of a hike from the front entrance. I recommend that you use valet when you drop off your stuff - and when you leave. It's worth the few bucks to not have to carry your luggage so far (and I'm normally frugal!)

If you are a DVC owner you get FREE valet parking not only for BWV but also to any other resort you travel to. They will give you a paper upon check-in to put in your windshield allowing you to park for FREE!!!! :cool1:

The DVC benefit for free valet parking is limited to the DVC resorts.

I am a DVC owner and I did not know that I get to park for free. So here is a rude questions, how much do you usually tip each time it it parked by the driver?

ttfn3 said:
We had a rental car at our stay at BWV. Here's my recommendation:

Magic Kingdom - Disney Bus
Epcot - walk! (or take the boat)
Blizzard Beach - rental car. (we used the disney bus and waited SO long for our return trip. Never again.)
Disney Quest - car
Mickeys breakfast - car
Hoop Dee Doo - car
Crystal Palace - Disney Bus
MGM - walk or take the boat
Boma - car
Trails End - car
Whispering Canyon - car
Animal Kingdom - Disney Bus
Gala Feast at Grand Floridian - Car

The self parking at BWV is very easy. However, it's a bit of a hike from the front entrance. I recommend that you use valet when you drop off your stuff - and when you leave. It's worth the few bucks to not have to carry your luggage so far (and I'm normally frugal!)

Thanks so much! I did notice that Whispering Canyon you mentioned take our car but Animal Kingdom take the bus. Arn't they close together? Same for Mickeys breakfast and Magic Kingdom. Arn't they close? I really do appreciate everyones replys!

I tip the valets $2-$3 each time I retrieve my car from valet parking.

Definitely drive to the water parks. I've never had a car at WDW and the only time I regret it is when going to the water parks. Bus service is generally spottier and more crowded than it is to the major theme parks, and for us at least the end of a day at a water park we are pretty dragged out, wet, sunburned, exhausted in general... would be nice to be able to get right into your own car.

The only one I have any comment about is for the meal at the GF. I absolutely hate the hike from self-park at the GF to the actual resort. It is a HIKE and a half!!! So if you are not open to valet parking at the GF, I'd take a MK bus and then the monorail to GF.

I did notice that Whispering Canyon you mentioned take our car but Animal Kingdom take the bus. Arn't they close together? Same for Mickeys breakfast and Magic Kingdom. Arn't they close? I really do appreciate everyones replys!
I think people are suggesting to take the bus to AK because it's just more convenient in many ways. The busses will drop you right off near the front of the park. If you drive, you might get a spot further back in the parking lot and have to catch the tram to get into the park.
But any time you are visiting another resort, it can be like jumping through hoops using Disney transportation to get there. Resort to resort travel is not at all convenient in the World. Mickey's breakfast could be either car or bus. Yes, they are close. The busses leave you off right outside the MK turnstile gates. But, it's about a 10 min walk from where the busses drop you off (you'd have to catch a MK bus from BWV) to the Contemporary. If you're not planning on actually going into the MK park the day you do the Chef Mickey meal, I'd just as well drive and park at the Contemporary. If it's raining, I'd def drive to avoid that 10 min walk.

MiaSRN62 said:
I think people are suggesting to take the bus to AK because it's just more convenient in many ways. The busses will drop you right off near the front of the park. If you drive, you might get a spot further back in the parking lot and have to catch the tram to get into the park.
But any time you are visiting another resort, it can be like jumping through hoops using Disney transportation to get there. Resort to resort travel is not at all convenient in the World. Mickey's breakfast could be either car or bus. Yes, they are close. The busses leave you off right outside the MK turnstile gates. But, it's about a 10 min walk from where the busses drop you off (you'd have to catch a MK bus from BWV) to the Contemporary. If you're not planning on actually going into the MK park the day you do the Chef Mickey meal, I'd just as well drive and park at the Contemporary. If it's raining, I'd def drive to avoid that 10 min walk.

such valuable advice!! thanks to all!

Thanks so much! I did notice that Whispering Canyon you mentioned take our car but Animal Kingdom take the bus. Arn't they close together?

Whispering Canyon is at the WILDERNESS LODGE and could probably not be any farther from AK than any other restaurant on property. They are far far apart. I would use the car for everything except maybe the MK and the BWV buses to MK are still far from satisfactory...leave an hour earlier than you want to be there to be safe....When you arrive if you want you can unload everyone and your stuff and still self park your car if you don't want to valet right then...best bet is the lot across the street past the convention center...

you need a key to get into the lot.

CRSNDSNY said:
The only one I have any comment about is for the meal at the GF. I absolutely hate the hike from self-park at the GF to the actual resort. It is a HIKE and a half!!! So if you are not open to valet parking at the GF, I'd take a MK bus and then the monorail to GF.

If it's off season and not busy we often drive to Poly and self park there (very close to Poly- show guard parking from wherever you're staying and tell him/her you're going for a meal or looking around). We enjoy coral isle cafe (tonga toast!!!) and sometimes take monorail to MK.

If you going to GF for dinner you're not getting out cheap so spring for valet parking ($7 or so?)- if you park at one paid valet-GF,AK,CR or other non DVC resort you can save your ticket and park at any other the same day at no additional charge, except for tip.

We always used Disney transportation until 2 trips ago when we got a rental car. Loved the self parking at BCV and found the buses seem slower every trip we go- probably just the novelty has worn off. We love to hop in car and go to AK for Bohma or WL for Artist Point or look around. GF is painful unless you valet park for the fee. Bus to MK or add it to a walk through EPCOT via monorail. I enjoy the car, although the parking lot at BWV can be a hike!

We learned our lesson quickly with the self-park at GF. I was pregnant at the time and it was tough. We valet there always. IT's worth the few dollars...especially since I think parking at T&T is another huge pain.

In fact, we haven't taken a bus anywhere since 2003. We started renting a car for our trips in 2004 and have never looked back.

Valet parking is free but DH usually tips the guy a $1 or $2 when they handle the car.

If you have PS resevrations for dining, I'd probably use the car to get to all of them except those in the MK. The bus is better to the MK, as it drops you off right at the entrance pretty much, instead of having to schlep threough the T&T Center.

Blizzard Beach-car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter