Car Rental Question??

ottawamom

The "Air Miles" Lady
Rented a car through Costco.ca back the beginning of May for a trip in September. The prices have gone through the roof since then. They will honour the price I have on my confirmation? Rental is with Alamo and its not prepaid.

I must have lucked into the right time when I made the reservation because prices have jumped by over 50% since I last checked. I'm concerned my deal is almost too good to be true.($179 7 days Intermediate SUV)

Make sure you bring a printout with you to show the price you reserved at. I've heard they often try and change it on you, encourage an upgrade or tell you that you need insurance… They tried to charge us more at the counter when we did it, but quickly "fixed" it when I showed them I had it in writing...

If you have a confirmed reservation, they have to honour it. I found prices to be all over the map. I have an 8 day minivan rental at Xmas for around $200 through Costco and that was only with one rental company. Every other rental company I searched via Costco, CAA etc were around $500 or more.

Thanks for the info. I have a written confirmation so I'll make sure to have it with us when we pick up the car.

Definitely they will honour the price on the confirmation. We've booked some awesome deals through costco and they have always honoured the price (gotta love that free additional driver too.)

The one thing we have found recently is they've REALLY tried to hard sell their CDW/PAI at the counter (I'm guessing the margin is just too good on this for them not to try....). Each time we've gone through MCO we've had to use go to the counter with the costco rate/coupon code in spite of doing the online check in with Alamo website. We just explain that our current Ontario car insurance includes the rental car endorsement (OPCF 27) and show them the info and they've backed off pretty much right away. We've never been asked to show our Costco card though.

They will honour it. I always rent Alamo thru Costco. And keep checking. About 30 day before check daily because prices will drop again. Right now I have a full size sedan 10 days late August for $290. I expect it to go down to $200ish.
I don't know what auto insurance you have in Ont but in BC we have ICBC and you can take out an extra policy for a year that included car rental insurance for cheap. A fraction of what car rental companies charge. I think it's $40 or $60. Can't remember. It's always on my policy.

I don't know what auto insurance you have in Ont but in BC we have ICBC and you can take out an extra policy for a year that included car rental insurance for cheap. A fraction of what car rental companies charge. I think it's $40 or $60. Can't remember. It's always on my policy.

In Ontario, because we all buy private insurance rather than through a provincial body, what you need is to make sure your car insurance includes the rental car endorsement (which is OPCF 27) -- for most policies this is about $5 per month and it basically covers you for rental vehicles for exactly what you have for your own vehicle. Easy peasy for piece of mind while driving rental cars in the US or Canada. Totally worth it.

In Ontario, because we all buy private insurance rather than through a provincial body, what you need is to make sure your car insurance includes the rental car endorsement (which is OPCF 27) -- for most policies this is about $5 per month and it basically covers you for rental vehicles for exactly what you have for your own vehicle. Easy peasy for piece of mind while driving rental cars in the US or Canada. Totally worth it.
That's what we have, just called another name. So worth it.

I was just reading through the benefits of my Costco M/C again and the CDW/PIA is covered by the credit card if we pay for the rental with the card. This is what we've done when we rented through them in Canada.

I was just reading through the benefits of my Costco M/C again and the CDW/PIA is covered by the credit card if we pay for the rental with the card. This is what we've done when we rented through them in Canada.
Most credit cards don't give full insurance coverage. I'd make sure yours covers liability too.

Thanks for the reminder. I know our car insurance covers liability in Canada. I will double check it's also the US. I imagine it is as we often hop over to the US for a quick weekend getaway. Want to have all my ducks in a row before I go.

I believe it's called 3rd party liability. Excluded by most credit cards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!