Car rental return at Aulani?

amystevekai&bump

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Has anyone rented a car from Honolulu airport and then dropped it off at Aulani?

We are looking at a trip to Waikiki/Aulani next August for sightseeing from Waikiki and then mainly for grocery shopping, eating out at Aulani, although also for a bit of sightseeing as well.

However, we would have an early morning flight to LAX on the way home, and DH doesn’t fancy the stress of having to return the car so early that morning (5.30am!) in the airport and would prefer to just get a taxi back.

I know there is an Alamo desk at Aulani, but currently hawaii discount rental doesn’t let you pick up from hnl and return to Aulani, and randomly the only rental that Alamo is showing are two pick up trucks!

Am I just too early to be looking at August rentals, or is it something that just isn’t done?

I believe as a DVC member (albeit an owner at BLT) I don’t pay parking fees - is that still the case at Aulani?

And whilst I know there are restaurants and a grocery store across the street, we were without a car at Aulani last time (due to DH having a foot surgery and not being able to drive at all) & this time we know we definitely want to have a car there to be able to get out properly whenever we want to.

many thanks for any advice 👍

It's true, they only show pick up trucks as an option to pick up at the airport and drop off at Aulani. It doesn't make any sense, but it's been that way for a while. If you call Alamo you can sometimes get an actual car for the one-way trip.

DVC members staying on points do not pay for parking fees. Recently, DVC members paying cash have received free parking as well, with proof of DVC ownership (blue card). Your DVC blue card will get you discounts at the stores and restaurants as well.

Thanks SpaceCanada - that’s ridiculous that only pick ups are available for one way rental to Aulani! I had assumed it was just too early to see everything, or at least id hoped!

Ok, so I guess we will be hiring a car for the whole trip and then driving it back to the airport at 5.30am - hopefully it’s a smooth process at that time or the morning, as I don’t want to have to get up any earlier to make the journey - otherwise all of our ‘efforts’ in Aulani at relaxation and recuperation will of been lost!!

Great news that the parking is free - I thought that was the case, but was worried in case I’d missed a change in the four years since we last visited Aulani!

thanks again for replying👍

I would still recommend you call Alamo and request a car for the one-way trip. If you don't want the hassle of dropping off the car so early in the morning, it's worth five minutes on the phone now to remove that possibility from the equation. You should double check the car rental place is open that early, too, as not many (if any) of them are open 24-hours.

I would still recommend you call Alamo and request a car for the one-way trip. If you don't want the hassle of dropping off the car so early in the morning, it's worth five minutes on the phone now to remove that possibility from the equation. You should double check the car rental place is open that early, too, as not many (if any) of them are open 24-hours.
Ok thank you very much, I’ll definitely give Alamo a call and do some further research.

I’ve yet to book my flight, as I’m still toying with the idea of an evening flight to avoid this early morning problem, but then that presents its own problems with jet lag and driving at the other end, due to landing in an unfamiliar city at what will feel like the middle of the night to us! Nothing seems straightforward at the minute! Lol!

But thank you for taking the time to respond - I really appreciate it👍

Sign up for Alamo Insider (it's free) and you might have more options and deals. I was able to choose from 4 kinds of cars and ended up with a good deal, SUV, for 8 days. The fees that they tack on are what drives your final bill up. We always use Alamo when we go to Aulani and it's very convenient. Last trip, our Alamo car had issues and they sent out another car within hours. Totally seamless. I am pretty confident you can return to Aulani but just call to ask.

No parking fee if you are a DVC member. It is nice to have a car available. Target and Costco are very close. It is also nice to be able to go explore other dining options and just to drive to explore the island.

We have an early flight back to LAX but we are just going to get up early and do the return. Most places have drop off procedures even if their offices are not open; and they will run shuttles so you can get to the airport. Due to Hawaiian time, most flights leave early to go back to the Mainland so I am sure they are used to very early drop offs. Honolulu airport is pretty chill for the amount of traffic that goes through there.

Sign up for Alamo Insider (it's free) and you might have more options and deals. I was able to choose from 4 kinds of cars and ended up with a good deal, SUV, for 8 days. The fees that they tack on are what drives your final bill up. We always use Alamo when we go to Aulani and it's very convenient. Last trip, our Alamo car had issues and they sent out another car within hours. Totally seamless. I am pretty confident you can return to Aulani but just call to ask.

No parking fee if you are a DVC member. It is nice to have a car available. Target and Costco are very close. It is also nice to be able to go explore other dining options and just to drive to explore the island.

We have an early flight back to LAX but we are just going to get up early and do the return. Most places have drop off procedures even if their offices are not open; and they will run shuttles so you can get to the airport. Due to Hawaiian time, most flights leave early to go back to the Mainland so I am sure they are used to very early drop offs. Honolulu airport is pretty chill for the amount of traffic that goes through there.
That’s really helpful thank you - I’ll definitely sign up for the Alamo insider 👍

I think we have just about decided over the weekend to book the direct night flight to Dallas (haven’t quite pulled the trigger as it’s $800 more expensive for the four of us than the indirect early flight! DH wants the extra day at Aulani and to fly overnight and I’m worried about the tiredness for the last leg of our trip in Texas! Decisions, decisions!! )

We rented a one way from the airport and dropped it off at the Ko Olina Marriott (through Enterprise). We dropped off all of our belongings at Aulani then one of us returned the car and walked back to the resort to join the rest of us. There was a $50 charge (through Enterprise) for the one-way rental.

As PP mentions, you should be able to do the one-way rental with a car but will pay an additional fee to do so. IMO, it would be easier to just return the car at the airport, even at that time of the morning. We returned it during rush hour on a Friday and it was still a less than 5 minute process. We pulled in, got our luggage out, the Alamo agent was already there signing off, walked two steps to the bus stop, and then a bus rolled up. Two minute drive to the airport from there. If you had to get transportation from Aulani, I would be worried that Uber wouldn't be too reliable that time of morning or otherwise you'd have to pre-arrange for a taxi to make sure that you have one at that time.

We rented a one way from the airport and dropped it off at the Ko Olina Marriott (through Enterprise). We dropped off all of our belongings at Aulani then one of us returned the car and walked back to the resort to join the rest of us. There was a $50 charge (through Enterprise) for the one-way rental.
That’s really great info and gives me more options, so thank you 👍

As PP mentions, you should be able to do the one-way rental with a car but will pay an additional fee to do so. IMO, it would be easier to just return the car at the airport, even at that time of the morning. We returned it during rush hour on a Friday and it was still a less than 5 minute process. We pulled in, got our luggage out, the Alamo agent was already there signing off, walked two steps to the bus stop, and then a bus rolled up. Two minute drive to the airport from there. If you had to get transportation from Aulani, I would be worried that Uber wouldn't be too reliable that time of morning or otherwise you'd have to pre-arrange for a taxi to make sure that you have one at that time.
Thank you for this, that’s really helpful 👍

Can I just ask, if we booked a flight which departs at 8am, what time would you leave Aulani to return a car?

Can I just ask, if we booked a flight which departs at 8am, what time would you leave Aulani to return a car?
It would depend on the day of the week - Saturday and Sunday will see less traffic. Otherwise, it would be during the early part of rush hour.

I'm an over-estimator, but for an 8am flight on a weekday, I'd probably leave Aulani at 4:30am. Its a good 30 minute commute in the best of traffic, so this would give you a buffer in case you do hit traffic, an accident, or the car rental return takes unusually long. We also had a somewhat long line checking in for our Delta flight at the airport, and then of course security lines. So it might seem like overkill, but it builds in some time in case of delays. I'd say leave closer to 5am if its a weekend.

It would depend on the day of the week - Saturday and Sunday will see less traffic. Otherwise, it would be during the early part of rush hour.

I'm an over-estimator, but for an 8am flight on a weekday, I'd probably leave Aulani at 4:30am. Its a good 30 minute commute in the best of traffic, so this would give you a buffer in case you do hit traffic, an accident, or the car rental return takes unusually long. We also had a somewhat long line checking in for our Delta flight at the airport, and then of course security lines. So it might seem like overkill, but it builds in some time in case of delays. I'd say leave closer to 5am if its a weekend.
Thank you for this - we would be flying midweek, so I guess 4.30am would be the time! 😂

DH is keen to do the direct night flight and have that last day in Aulani rather than spend it in the airports. It’s much more expensive to fly direct and I’m worried that we will be tired for our last few days vacation in Texas - I suspect when he hears that we have to be up at 4am to fly, he will be insisting on splashing out on the direct flight lol!😂

I rented a car thru Alamo at HNL, drove to Aulani and Valet handled the return to their Alamo desk.
Then I rented another car from Alamo at Aulani to return at the airport. Had a full selection of cars to rent from both times.

I rented a car thru Alamo at HNL, drove to Aulani and Valet handled the return to their Alamo desk.
Then I rented another car from Alamo at Aulani to return at the airport. Had a full selection of cars to rent from both times.
That’s great to know thank you 👍 did you pay a premium for dropping off the car at Aulani?

I think I saw the answer somewhere but now cannot find it...what is the cost to park a rental car at Aulani? I'm about to book a 4 door Jeep from Alamo for 2-15 to 2-21. Thanks,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!