Care Package ideas for Boot Camp

piglet too

I will take a Mudslide please
My nephew (20) reports to the Marines on Sunday. I know that I want to do something for him while he is gone, but need some ideas. Thanks so much!

Do you want to send him a package while he is in boot camp? When I was in boot camp, everything that we were allowed to have was issued to us, and everything that we ate was served to us. I'm curious as to what you are thinking of sending to him...

I was just thinking of sending him anything to make his day. Maybe care packages will have to wait for his training after boot camp?

I would send him a calling card, and *maybe* a small amount on a visa gift card. My reasoning is that A- if he is going to be calling home, it's probably from a pay phone and will be collect, unless he has a calling card, we got 10 minutes every Saturday and Sunday to call home, or wherever. B- the gift card because he *may* get to go to the PX during the latter weeks of boot camp and he *may* want a candy bar or soda or something that he won't get in the chow hall. Also, after he graduates he will have more liberties, and if he doesn't have family coming to visit, he will be able to do his own thing. When we graduated, we were able to leave base for a few hours, I was in San Antonio and got to SHOP, I was excited!!! I would have LOVED a gift card!! And I actually got to eat at a nice restaurant with my family. So depending on the situation, he might like to have a little spending money. FWIW- I turned 18 DURING boot camp, and my boyfriend decided to send me roses, balloons and a teddy bear for my birthday, my friends all sent me cards and *stuff* that whole week. It was HORRIBLE! I was ridiculed, made to do pushups, and had to scrub toilets! Yeah, not fun! I can't imagine how much harder they would be on a guy who received a package in the mail! Things may be different, but based on my experience, I would wait until graduation or just send the cards!

Thank you!
Also good idea for us not to do anything for his birthday. He will turn 21 during boot camp.

Just send a note or card to let him know how proud you are of him for now. When he moves to his next location send him more.

Thank you!

We had a little party here for him last night. He is a bit nervous, but looking forward to it as well. My sister is a bit of a wreck, but can't blame her there. He reports today and will fly out super early tomorrow morning.

He will get into trouble if you send him anything other than cards or letters. He can't use a calling card, as they aren't allowed phone calls at any time. And he can't use a visa giftcard or anything... they aren't allowed to go shopping or anything... for anything. They are given a card from the military which advances them their pay (taken out of their checks) so they can get supplies they need in boot camp. It's very strict. My husband was only allowed to call me twice in his three months of boot camp (Marine Corps) and the first was for about 15 seconds, the second for 3 mins.

Oh wow! The stuff my sister was told (and that I read) made it sound like he might get to call more often than that.

I think we will just stick to a card here or there and wait until later for anything else.

Oh wow! The stuff my sister was told (and that I read) made it sound like he might get to call more often than that.

I think we will just stick to a card here or there and wait until later for anything else.

It just depends on his instructors. He should have been able to call the first few days after arriving to let you know he is ok. Then after that, it's just up to the instructors. I sent my DH a letter every single day the entire three months. I just saved them up for a few day (one page per letter so the envelope wasn't too thick) and then mailed them off. I hope you get to hear from him soon!!

Write him frequently and tell him how proud you are of him, encourage him. My DH is at AIT now. He had BCT at Fort Knox KY and I wrote him a letter every day. He said a letter from home was like Christmas to them. They have almost no free time whatsoever, he did write me occasionally but it could take several attempts to get one letter finished as they are interupted all the time. It is very intense and I imagine even more so for the Marines (DH is ANG). If you go to the military website and look up what you can send for care packages for Basic training its pretty much nothing except letters and cards. DH can't even have food or anything in their barracks or lockers so I don't even send any food or anything at this point in training. When I visit I will make some goodies and take them for him and the guys in his barrack to enjoy outside but they can't take it into the barracks. Hope this info helps. If you have any more questions please feel free to PM me. My DH has 7 weeks left. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!:cheer2:

I recall from when my DH did his AIT for ANG while we were engaged, that letters are a big thing. ::yes::

Thank you all for your help. It has been a long time since DH was in ANG (14 years this summer since he "retired") and his summer things are different than boot camp.

I am very proud of my nephew. He has made a great choice for him, one that other family members have talked him out of for three years. He is looking at this as a career. When his recruiter told him that there was two ways for him to make PFC upon graduation (get two friends to enlist or finnish top of his class) he said he would finnish top of his class. That is great coming from this young man, and just shows how dedicated he is going into all of this.

I recall from when my DH did his AIT for ANG while we were engaged, that letters are a big thing. ::yes::

Thank you all for your help. It has been a long time since DH was in ANG (14 years this summer since he "retired") and his summer things are different than boot camp.

I am very proud of my nephew. He has made a great choice for him, one that other family members have talked him out of for three years. He is looking at this as a career. When his recruiter told him that there was two ways for him to make PFC upon graduation (get two friends to enlist of finnish top of his class) he said he would finnish top of his class. That is great coming from this young man, and just shows how dedicated he is going into all of this.

Tell your nephew that there are lots of people who are proud of him. I am proud and thankful for all our military men and women. Lots of people asked DH (he joined later than most) why and tried to talk him out of it too but I am so proud of him. Tell him thanks from our family for the committment he has made to serve our country!:thumbsup2

We have his address finally and will be sending him letters and cards often. I am going to pick up some blank cards today so my DD5 can make him pictures.

When I was in Marine Corps Boot Camp (over 20 years ago) they frowned upon care packages. In my platoon if a guy got a care package with food in it everyone but the addressee got to eat from it.

I do like the idea of the visa gift card. I think they get 1 day to go to the PX (that is on visitor's Sunday near the end of training) or bowling or a movie.

Also, you should write something on the outside on the envelope - like Johnny says he love Push-ups :rotfl2: Just joking.

I hope this helps.

Cy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter