CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last dry dock was in 2016. Did you sail before they added Guy's Burger and all the fun ship 2.0 stuff?

My warm room was just a month ago. (ah, how I am already missing that cruise!) The room did register at 76 degrees, but they got it down to 72 or so after my bugging them.

(...) I think the private islands we went to were Amber Cove and Grand Turk, but I don't feel like it really matters. If you have two huge ships with all their passengers sharing one beach/bar/pool area, it is going to be uncomfortably packed. (...)

Thank you for this. You have convinced me and my family to book a cabana in Grand Turk for our annual family trip (DH and I with his parents). Since there will be 2 ships in the port that day, we wanted to make sure we have our own space, shade and room to breathe guaranteed. Now it's booked & I sent a video of the cabanas to my family members. Everybody is ecstatic. :)

We'll be the only ship in Amber Cove so it shouldn't be that bad.

Thank you for this. You have convinced me and my family to book a cabana in Grand Turk for our annual family trip (DH and I with his parents). Since there will be 2 ships in the port that day, we wanted to make sure we have our own space, shade and room to breathe guaranteed. Now it's booked & I sent a video of the cabanas to my family members. Everybody is ecstatic. :)

I've been to Grand Turk as the second ship (with another one that arrived before us). Most people head in one direction when they get off the ship, but there are chairs the other way as well, we went that way and it was easy to find a spot. We did not use the pool though, it was loud for us. You can also walk a bit further down the beach the way everyone heads and come to places like Jack's Shack which is much less popular as most people stop at the first bits of beach.

I've been to Grand Turk as the second ship (with another one that arrived before us). Most people head in one direction when they get off the ship, but there are chairs the other way as well, we went that way and it was easy to find a spot. We did not use the pool though, it was loud for us. You can also walk a bit further down the beach the way everyone heads and come to places like Jack's Shack which is much less popular as most people stop at the first bits of beach.

DH and I plan to use your recommendations for our Grand Turk stop in 4 weeks. :) We want to go to Margaritaville, to the pool, to the beach and also at Jack's Shack!

However, for our annual family trip, since we are travelling with seniors (my FIL & MIL) and my FIL has mobility problems and struggles with walking on a beach, a poolside cabana is as good as it gets and they are SOOOO happy right now.

DH and I plan to use your recommendations for our Grand Turk stop in 4 weeks. :) We want to go to Margaritaville, to the pool, to the beach and also at Jack's Shack!

However, for our annual family trip, since we are travelling with seniors (my FIL & MIL) and my FIL has mobility problems and struggles with walking on a beach, a poolside cabana is as good as it gets and they are SOOOO happy right now.

When you are docked and looking at the beach, to the left is the way most people go, and the way to Jack's. If you go to the right, there is also a beach, and if you walk down a ways you come to the "conch graveyard". I don't believe you are permitted to take the shells but it's kind of neat to see them all any way. Depends how much you want to do!

When you are docked and looking at the beach, to the left is the way most people go, and the way to Jack's. If you go to the right, there is also a beach, and if you walk down a ways you come to the "conch graveyard". I don't believe you are permitted to take the shells but it's kind of neat to see them all any way. Depends how much you want to do!

I heard about Conch Graveyard. It looks very special. I added it to my "to do list" for Grand Turk.

Oh good, I think especially with a group you want to keep together, having a cabana will really make things easier. At the time, I didn't know that was an option. These places seem to be built to hold about one ship's worth of people comfortably, so I don't think Amber Cove will be a problem. We were able to find seating there much more easily. Seating with shade is when it starts getting tricky.

Oh good, I think especially with a group you want to keep together, having a cabana will really make things easier. At the time, I didn't know that was an option. These places seem to be built to hold about one ship's worth of people comfortably, so I don't think Amber Cove will be a problem. We were able to find seating there much more easily. Seating with shade is when it starts getting tricky.

We'll definitely bring money to rent chairs and umbrellas.

Well gang, we’ve decided to cancel our upcoming Anthem of the Seas Cruise next June. With buying a new house, one kid in his first year of college and the other starting college the following year we decided the cost of that cruise plus airfare was more than we really should spend.

It’s bittersweet saying goodbye to that cruise because it’s a great Bermuda and Caribbean itinerary and we had the awesome family suite. The good part is we’re going on the Vista for the 4th time! This will be Western Caribbean out of Galveston, with stops in Honduras, Belize and Cozumel. Don’t really care about Cozumel but am very excited about the other two ports, plus it has 3 sea days. Also, we’re very happy this is going to be less than half of the Anthem cruise. For some reason I think we’re just not meant to try RCCL, this is the 4th cruise we’ve booked with them that we’ve canceled.

Well gang, we’ve decided to cancel our upcoming Anthem of the Seas Cruise next June. With buying a new house, one kid in his first year of college and the other starting college the following year we decided the cost of that cruise plus airfare was more than we really should spend.

It’s bittersweet saying goodbye to that cruise because it’s a great Bermuda and Caribbean itinerary and we had the awesome family suite. The good part is we’re going on the Vista for the 4th time! This will be Western Caribbean out of Galveston, with stops in Honduras, Belize and Cozumel. Don’t really care about Cozumel but am very excited about the other two ports, plus it has 3 sea days. Also, we’re very happy this is going to be less than half of the Anthem cruise. For some reason I think we’re just not meant to try RCCL, this is the 4th cruise we’ve booked with them that we’ve canceled.

We are booked for that same itinerary on the Vista next July. We sailed the Carnival Miracle to Mexico for 7 days in January and were VERY underwhelmed. DH convinced me to book one more on a bigger/newer Carnival ship before we write it off altogether. How did you find the Vista compared to Disney? I assume you liked it as you are going for a 4th time:groom:

We are booked for that same itinerary on the Vista next July. We sailed the Carnival Miracle to Mexico for 7 days in January and were VERY underwhelmed. DH convinced me to book one more on a bigger/newer Carnival ship before we write it off altogether. How did you find the Vista compared to Disney? I assume you liked it as you are going for a 4th time:groom:

@Club Disney Chandler 's review of the Vista is listed in the links in the first post. :)

You've made the right decision. Always better to have extra funds. And you will have just as much fun on the Vista anyway! So no loss. Matt is still on it too! I also believe cruise prices will go down over the next five years with all the new ships coming. Maybe not on Disney lol, but on Royal and others. All the CEOs keep saying that prices will be going up, but there are just so many huge ships in the works, I suspect even if sticker prices remain high, there will be very, very good deals available. Sailing out of Galveston is nice also. If you have not tried. La Kings it is a gem and blast from the past. Homemade taffy and ice cream. Also the sunflower bakery and cafe. Antique stores and museums. Railway museum and one on the oil industry.

http://www.lakingsconfectionery.com/

DH and I keep booking and cancelling NCL cruises... Maybe someday.

I booked an NCL cruise for 2020 March break... but I suspect I will end up cancelling it. It was between NCL Breakaway (western ports) and RCL Harmony (different western ports, including the new Coco Cay though), or possibly Carnival Magic (going to Aruba and Curacao). I have not yet made it onto NCL. I am looking at a March break cruise on Carnival Conquest in 2019, and pushing my Disney plans from May to August to accomodate the extra expense. But I'd have to fly from Montreal (live in Ottawa) and that makes me nervous. Ottawa flights are crazy for March break and spending $2k on the flight when the cruise is less than that doesn't really appeal to me. I can look at Syracuse too I guess, I worry about weather even in March making it difficult. And I hate driving lol. I really want another cruise.

We absolutely love the Vista, and that really surprised us. None of us ever thought we could like a ship more than the Disney Fantasy. We find the Carnival experience just as good as the Disney experience just in a different way. We have more fun on Carnival but are more pampered on Disney. Service wise it’s a crap shoot, both can be amazing but both can be crappy periodically. The worst dining room servers we’ve ever had were on the Disney Wonder. The best room steward we ever had was on the Vista. The talent of the show performers are certainly better on Disney but we had a crapload of fun at the shows on Vista. MDR presentation is better on Disney and the main courses are better, but sides and desserts are better on Carnival. Food options are way better on Carnival. I guess that’s the main differences I can quickly come up with.

I booked an NCL cruise for 2020 March break... but I suspect I will end up cancelling it. It was between NCL Breakaway (western ports) and RCL Harmony (different western ports, including the new Coco Cay though), or possibly Carnival Magic (going to Aruba and Curacao). I have not yet made it onto NCL. I am looking at a March break cruise on Carnival Conquest in 2019, and pushing my Disney plans from May to August to accomodate the extra expense. But I'd have to fly from Montreal (live in Ottawa) and that makes me nervous. Ottawa flights are crazy for March break and spending $2k on the flight when the cruise is less than that doesn't really appeal to me. I can look at Syracuse too I guess, I worry about weather even in March making it difficult. And I hate driving lol. I really want another cruise.

Why not Montreal? (I live in Montreal and always fly from Montreal).

The Dream/Vista Class ships are a world apart from the others in the Carnival Line. They may not be as beautiful on the outside but what you get is a great vacation with lots of fun thrown in. And Matt Mitcham of the dreamy eyes and British accent.

I have been on Vista twice and booked Panorama for 2020 already. The SkyRide and Ropes Course are a hit with my teens. They aren't into the clubs so I can't comment on that aspect. The included food options are great. I never eat the buffet because there are so many other choices. Love the deli and Blue Iguana tacos for lunch.

I have never sailed DCL so I can't compare. I love all things Disney but when it comes to cruises I just love being on the water and visiting beautiful beaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!