Carousel of Progress Open or Closed

matu8063

Earning My Ears
I have heard that the Carousel of Progress is closed and not reopening. Does anyone have info on this. It is one of the best attractions.

Melissa

...I believe it's open, actually. Both CoP and Timekeeper were shut down to save operating expenses because of wasted capacity, but extraordinary numbers of Spring Break vacationers have prompted Disney to open both shows. Both shows are likely to close again after this weekend, with 4th of July week being the next time period that seems likely to bring enough folks to prompt Disney to open them, again.

That said, both attractions' days are numbered: Timekeeper because, these days, the CircleVision movies are almost impossible to cost-justify from a capacity standpoint (just imagine how much plush Pressler could display in that size area); and CoP because they've basically let the thing rot where it stands. Even if they really wanted to keep it open (a desire of which they've shown absolutely no sign), there're only so many spins left in the ol' boy's mechanism. Again, with today's Disney Math, it'll be almost impossible to cost-justify the extensive rebuild necessary in the not-too-distant future.

Jeff

:)

What about Memorial Day Weekend? Piglet203 and I will be there at that time and we would love to see this attraction, especially if it is going to close permanantly, like it looks it will. It's a shame, too, because CoP is such a cool attraction.

Mickey76 :)

And if Pressler sees his shadow when exiting the Disney Money Vault.

I hope its open over Memorial Day weekend too, because, well , we'll be there too.:D

I understand the issues with CoP, and I can understand closing it. After all, it wasn't exaclty overflowing with guests when it was open everyday. But its just bad PR to close attractions without announcing any plans for replacements. I don't think Timekeeper has the same costs, other than space, but its the same thing. I like Timekeeper, but I know it was pretty empty when we went, and others have expressed surprise that it never caught on.

There hasn't been a lot of complaints about CBJ closing at DL, or Lion King closing at MK, and I think that's becasue replacements were quickly announced and are apparently moving forward.

I know, somebody is going to say that its all part of Pressler's/Eisner's plan to give us less attractions in the park, and there will be no replacemnts for these two.

While leaving these two venues empty wouldn't be enough to force me out of car #1, it would serve to move me from say 1.1 to 1.2...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter