Cases rising or dropping by you?

I'm not quite sure that I understand your argument(s). I believe that we've got a problem here in Florida. Do you think there is or is not?
Your story is about Bank of America closing locations. Is it not? Let's stick with a train of thought here please. Your comment was "because of COVID-19" and the link in the other thread which I linked here does not state that. You may have the impression that is what is going on but that is not the reasoning given.

If I told you that Burger King, Arby's, Tanner's (a bar and grill place), Panera, etc all didn't open for a time "because of COVID-19" you might assume outbreaks of positive results at those locations when in reality they didn't have the staff to adequately open at that time. That's why the very article you posted said "coronavirus pandemic" which encompasses multiple things. You put your own spin on it thus my comment of mis-representing.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politi..._xkGQDH47LL8FNiK2S2OxO2zMJ9uADWIy20MPpnWsio3Y
So I misread it as coming from the CDC. Rather it's per CDC guidlines it won't be considered an epidemic much longer if the death rate continues to drop. Interesting and hopeful article none the less.

I wasn't familiar with that news source, but it doesn't rank very favorably on fact checking, so I wouldn't place much hope on their article.

The most recent report from the CDC has a few statements that seem to contradict the article, too.

Key Updates for Week 26, ending June 27, 2020
Nationally, levels of influenza-like illness (ILI) and COVID-19-like illness (CLI) activity remain lower than peaks seen in March and April but are increasing in most regions. The percentage of specimens testing positive for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, also increased from last week. Mortality attributed to COVID-19 decreased compared to last week and is currently at the epidemic threshold but will likely increase as additional death certificates are processed.

I think the spike actually started long before that.

There was an upward trend starting in early June, but the sharp slope started on June 24.

Hopefully with the relatively younger distribution in cases, the death rate won't follow, but it is still too soon to say one way or the other. Deaths today are infections from those <1000-case-per-day days in early June. It'll be August before we really know what the death rate for these 10,000-case-per-day days will be.

I have an honest question about those Florida numbers. Do we know for sure the rising hospitalizations are from covid patients? Does Florida separate hospitalization data? I know they are trying to catch up with rescheduled elective and other health procedures that were cancelled/delayed in the last few months, so I wasn't sure if the increased hospitalization is partly due to that or if those posted numbers were strictly covid hospitalizations.
Here's an article about Central Florida Hospitals:
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/cor...?utm_medium=notification&utm_source=onesignal

Reactions: TJA

Mortality attributed to COVID-19 decreased compared to last week and is currently at the epidemic threshold but will likely increase as additional death certificates are processed.
So the CDC is also stating that it's right at epidemic threshold. So if it goes down it will be below threshold. Doesn't contradict the article I shared at all. If it goes up then it will obviously continue to have epidemic status but if it drops it will go below the threshold. I'm hoping it continues to drop as I'm sure everyone is. Key is treatments seem to be working.

Reactions: TJA
So the CDC is also stating that it's right at epidemic threshold. So if it goes down it will be below threshold. Doesn't contradict the article I shared at all. If it goes up then it will obviously continue to have epidemic status but if it drops it will go below the threshold. I'm hoping it continues to drop as I'm sure everyone is. Key is treatments seem to be working.

Honestly, the whole story doesn't even make sense to me. It's a virus that is affecting the entire world. If it's called something else, we still have to deal with it. How does changing it's "status" change anything?

I do agree that the death numbers aren't as high and I think it's because the medical professionals have figured some things out. Transmission is still too high in our country, though, so we still have lessons to learn.

Honestly, the whole story doesn't even make sense to me. It's a virus that is affecting the entire world. If it's called something else, we still have to deal with it. How does changing it's "status" change anything?

I do agree that the death numbers aren't as high and I think it's because the medical professionals have figured some things out. Transmission is still too high in our country, though, so we still have lessons to learn.

Deaths are delayed for up to a month after hospitalization, so it’s too early to tell.

My state (Victoria, Australia) is most definitely in a second wave. Here are our stats as of yesterday:

35D532FC-CB54-46C7-B789-493A0FAB8CA1.jpeg
It is so frustrating because the rest of the country seems to have almost eliminated the virus, meanwhile yesterday we had our highest case numbers ever. We are now blocked from entering any other state (obviously there are some exemptions), certain suburbs have gone back to needing an essential reason to leave the house and there are over 3,000 people in government housing towers who are on full lockdown under police guard until they are tested and cleared. It wouldn't surprise or disappoint me if the entire greater Melbourne area is back to tight restrictions within the next few days.

The failure appears to have come from the security guards at the quarantine hotels. They weren't properly trained and breached many rules about contact with guests including sharing cigarette lighters, taking them on illegal fast food runs and even having intercourse with them! Some of those same security guards then also breached the rules in their time off, having larger gatherings than permitted, not following social distancing, etc. The state government is also largely to blame, having refused support from the military (which other states accepted) and instead only using private security firms.

Wait 589 cases In a week. Florida is not doing as well 6 to 10 thousand per day for the last several days, but Disney opens this week and its back to school next month......

Wait 589 cases In a week. Florida is not doing as well 6 to 10 thousand per day for the last several days, but Disney opens this week and its back to school next month......

That's part of the problem. So many people here are comparing us to the States and saying 'well, it's not that bad, look at Florida'. At some point Florida had less than 600 cases in a week and look where they are now. Those 589 cases was an increase of 122% compared to the previous week. We cannot afford to continue to grow like that. And there is no reason why we should be having those sort of numbers when the rest of the country (including NSW) has things under control. Australia in total had 654 cases over the last 7 days; my state is 25% of the population but 90% of the cases.

That's part of the problem. So many people here are comparing us to the States and saying 'well, it's not that bad, look at Florida'. At some point Florida had less than 600 cases in a week and look where they are now. Those 589 cases was an increase of 122% compared to the previous week. We cannot afford to continue to grow like that. And there is no reason why we should be having those sort of numbers when the rest of the country (including NSW) has things under control. Australia in total had 654 cases over the last 7 days; my state is 25% of the population but 90% of the cases.

Heartbreaking, infuriating and frustrating! You had been doing so well. I hope they are able to trace all the cases and get those people into quarantine.

Are they reconsidering using the military for the security?

Deaths are delayed for up to a month after hospitalization, so it’s too early to tell.

And not just because of the time between hospitalization and time of death. There’s usually about a week or more delay just to get the death report from the hospital to be recorded as a COVID death in the state’s numbers.

Heartbreaking, infuriating and frustrating! You had been doing so well. I hope they are able to trace all the cases and get those people into quarantine.

Are they reconsidering using the military for the security?

191 cases today - a new record! :scared: It looks highly likely that we will be heading back to stage 3 restrictions this afternoon (can only leave the house for essential supplies, exercise, medical care or essential work). Normally the case numbers are announced at a press conference with a relevant government official, but today they were just given to the media and the Premier will be doing a press conference later this afternoon, after an emergency meeting.

And no, the Premier is still refusing military support for the quarantine - instead he's planning to use out of work airline staff! Fortunately international flights are now being sent to other states instead, so it shouldn't be a problem in a week or so.

Fortunately the rest of the country is still doing really well. As they say, Australia is currently like the Spice Girls - everyone's trying really hard but Victoria's ruining it!

ETA: We are back in stage 3 stay-at-home restrictions from tomorrow night!

Last edited:
Fortunately the rest of the country is still doing really well. As they say, Australia is currently like the Spice Girls - everyone's trying really hard but Victoria's ruining it!
/QUOTE]

🤣 🤣🤣

Oh, no!! I'm sorry, but I'm amazed too as to how quick a decision was made on replacing restrictions. I hope your numbers will quickly improve and they are successful with containing the outbreak. I've got ties to Australia, so I'd be interested to hear how things go.

Last edited:
For the last few weeks we’ve been “growing” as far a positive tests but still “flat/decreasing” in deaths. It’s been quite alarming going from 100-150 positive tests a day to 500-600 but today when I checked we had “flattening” on positives and still “flat/decreasing” for deaths. Who knows what the 4th shenanigans will bring but *knock on wood* hopefully we’ll be able to stay the course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter