Cash or Coins only?

Kleese

Mouseketeer
Is there anything besides the penny presses where you need cash or coins to do something in the parks?

We've had a couple of times where a snack card or a counter service restaurant had their card system temporarily down, so I always bring a bit of cash just in case. That and as one pp posted, balloon vendors were cash only.

We've had a couple of times where a snack card or a counter service restaurant had their card system temporarily down, so I always bring a bit of cash just in case. That and as one pp posted, balloon vendors were cash only.

This 100%. I can't tell you how many times I've whipped out my cc or gift card to be told that the system is down. I always carry between $20 - $40 to the parks. Oh, I don't charge to my MB -most of the time we stay at Dolphin so can't but I still don't even if we are at a Disney resort. I like just having my hotel room on one bill - just a quirk.

Buy a balloon?
In MK, the balloon vendors could take credit cards last week. You could use a MagicBand too, you just had to pay at a specific kiosk and come back with a receipt.

... restaurant had their card system temporarily down ...
Fortunately I never experienced this but it would have been total disaster for me. The food or Dole Whip would already have been prepared, or in the case of a sit down restaurant, already eaten.

On most of my trips I have set up my room key or magic band with no charging privileges and carried only a credit card whose PIN I had forgotten, and a very small amount of cash.

More than once I have heard a radio talk host say that cash is becoming obsolete. Each time I wished I could have wrung his neck as he was and still is 100% totally wrong. Lots of gas stations and other places I go to take cash only.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter