Cass, Rob & Kira - Universal & 10-night Southern Caribbean Cruise on Disney Fantasy 2017

Timon

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Welcome to my trippie!

:welcome:

No lengthy intro, keeping it short this time.

If you want to know more about me, I have several other trippies all with long detailed introductions :upsidedow

I'm putting this on the DCL Trip Reports board because the meat of this baby will be about our cruise but we had 4 nights pre-cruise in Universal so if you don't care about the Dark Side, feel free to skip ahead ::yes::

If this is the first time you are reading one of my trippies, you gotta know a few things first:

1. I tell it like it is, no
pinkglassesf.gif
here!
2. I use smilies...a lot! Deal with it!
party0028.gif

3. I take a lot of photos and I just use my iPhone so they're not going to win any prizes :rolleyes:
4. My reports are based on MY opinions, you don't like em? Feel free to NOT read!
tongue_smiley19.gif

5. We are Canadian (this will be important when you realize we spell things differently, so it's NOT a typo :rolleyes:)

That's about it! Please be patient with me, this was a 14 night trip and I have a lot of photos. It takes a LOT of time to edit all the pics and write the report so I will try to update as often as I can but life gets in the way of trip writing sometimes :rolleyes1

ETA: My good friend Jen (who is featured in this report as she sailed with me) has started her trip report, so check it out :thumbsup2

Jen's Trip Report

Here we go :goodvibes

------------------
Check out my other trip reports

:cool: 2011 DCL Second sailing of the Dream
:cool: 2013 October WDW & DCL Fantasy
:cool: 2015 Disneyland
smiley.jpg
2016 Christmas on the Wonder
:cool: 2017 Universal & DCL 10-Night Southern Caribbean Fantasy
smiley.jpg
2017 Christmas on the Wonder
:cool: 2018 Summer WDW & Universal
smiley.jpg
2018 Christmas on the Wonder
:cool:2019 Disneyland
:cool:2019 Universal Orlando
2019 Christmas on the Wonder
:cool: 2020 Galaxy's Edge
smiley.jpg
2021 Christmas on the Wonder
:cool: 2022 UO & DCL Fantasy
🇨🇦 2022 Alaska Wonder Cruise

Last edited:
Chapter Links

June 24th, 2017

Day 1, Part 1 - Our Plane is Frozen!
Day 1, Part 2 - Holy Toledo, there's a Volcano in our back yard!!!
Day 1, Part 3 - A storm's a Chernaboggin'

June 25th, 2017

Day 2, Part 1 - The land that Harry built
Day 2, Part 2 - Accio Airconditionus!
Day 2, Part 3 - Well that's a bust!

June 26th, 2017

Day 3, Part 1 - You can check out any time you like....oh and you can leave too!
Day 3, Part 2 - A Universally good time
Day 3, Part 3 - Some rides, lunch and a crrrraaaaccck!!!
Day 3, Part 4 - What the frick!!!

June 27th, 2017

Day 4, Part 1 - Swim, eat, shop, laundry...done!

Day 4, Part 2 - Make him blue!
Day 4, Part 3 - Bonus Material

June 28th, 2017

Day 5, Part 1 - Welcome aboard to everyone wearing navy blue (which was most people)
Day 5, Part 2 - Eating, more eating and room pics
Day 5, Part 3 - Hey, we're on vacation, go for it!
Day 5, Part 4 - All I seem to do is complain...

June 29th, 2017

Day 6, Part 1 - Food, a show and some more food!
Day 6, Part 2 - A show and some Aquaducking

June 30th, 2017

Day 7, Part 1 - Second day at sea stuffs
Day 7, Part 2 - Food, fireworks and pirate food

July 1st, 2017

Day 8, Part 1 - Canada Day from Aruba, eh!
Day 8, Part 2 - We're the big wieners!
Day 8, Part 3 - In all thy sons command

July 2nd, 2017

Day 9, Part 1 - Dushi Home Curaçao
Day 9, Part 2 - Yowzers!
Day 9, Part 3 - Meh!

July 3rd, 2017

Day 10, Part 1 - Eat, shop, edit, eat.
Day 10, Part 2 - Complainers and Cabanas.

July 4th, 2017

Day 11, Part 1 - Breakfast, Basseterre and Ziplining!
Day 11, Part 2 - Zip-a-dee-doo-lines!
Day 11, Part 3 - The Wall
Day 11, Part 4 - Oh, say can you SEA

July 5th, 2017

Day 12, Part 1 - Tortola....sort of.
Day 12, Part 2 - Good-bye Tortola, hello pool deck!

July 6th, 2017

Day 13, Part 1 - The whole day in one post!

July 7th, 2017

Day 14, Part 1 - Castaway Cay fun
Day 14, Part 2 - Web-slinging good time!
Day 14, Part 3 - And then there were none....days left of this cruise, that is. :sad:

July 8th, 2017

Day 15, Part 1 - I hate herds!
Day 15, Part 2 - And that's a wrap!

Vacation Videos

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Last edited:
June 24th, 2017

Day 1, Part 1 - Our Plane is Frozen???!!!

Flying from Calgary to Orlando makes for a long day but thankfully we booked the Non-Stop flight with Westjest, my favourite airline!:thumbsup2

I was still up at 5am because I needed to shower and pack the last-minute items and we are about 30 minutes away from the airport.

Flying to the United States from any major Canadian airport involves USA Customs Pre-Clearance, which means not only do you need to go through security but you also need to go through the customs & immigration process. It is often busy and sometimes they have random checks (like they did the last time we flew) so I like to get to the airport nice and early! The great thing about pre-clearance is that once you are past customs, you are then considered to be in the USA, so that is when we can relax and let our vacation really start. I'm always a little worried before that point because with C & I, anything can happen! :scared:

Rob dropped us and our bags off at the curb and then drove over to Park2Go to leave our vehicle for 2 weeks. It's a bit of extra money but it sure beats bothering someone to drop us off and pick us up!

1.jpg

This seems like a lot of luggage but we only have one large checked bag each plus one carry-on each plus one extra.

2.jpg

While Rob was dropping off the car, Kira and I got our luggage tags printed and then dropped the bags off at the self-serve baggage drop-off point at the new terminal.

3.jpg

We got our pic taken at the special Canada 150 years sign and then Rob arrived back.

And yes, we all wear fanny packs! :rolleyes: Stop judging :teeth: They come in super handy at the parks (especially Universal) and I have shoulder issues so I can't carry/wear a purse or bag for long periods of time.

4.jpg

Thankfully no issues at Customs! Actually, while going through the Nexus kiosk, it did show that Rob was to report to customs but ironically (and with perfect timing!) just as we were speaking to the customs officer, another customs officer walked up and started chatting with us. He knew Rob through the Knights of Columbus and so we chatted for a bit while the other customs guy ran our passports. I think this probably kept Rob from going to secondary because he stamped our passports and told us to enjoy our trip :cool1:

Now in the USA
smiley_flag_006.gif

5.jpg

17.jpg

It was time for breakfast at The Kitchen, by Wolfgang Puck, a relatively new tradition for us :thumbsup2

12.jpg

Kira and I had the same thing...

13.jpg

It was delicious!

14.jpg

Rob thought so too :rotfl:

15.jpg

So, my kid is ALL about stuffies :rolleyes2 and normally I buy her a new Beanie Boo as a little present for each trip we take (a tradition I don't intend on continuing because she a a zillion of them!) but this time we gave her some money and told her she could pick out her own. This made her VERY happy :laughing:

We went to "Who's Who in the Zoo" but they didn't have any good ones so we went to the Duty Free shops and she found one.

16.jpg

He has Canada 150 on him so it was appropriate since we will be celebrating Canada's 150th on the cruise :thumbsup2

It was close to our boarding time so we moved over to our gate area and waited and waited. They finally announced that our plane was having some mechanical issues and that they would be changing our gate and also delaying our flight.

We made the long trek down to our new gate and found a seat. For delayed flights, YYC sends out their YYC pals, which is such an amazing idea, really! Kira found Clifford (and another dog too!) and we all gave him some love.

18.jpg

We were all missing our dog Boo, so this was perfect. Plus Clifford looked a little like our last two dogs, Lilo & Stitch. :love:

lilo-stitch.jpg

While we were waiting, Rob found out that we were going to be flying on the Frozen Plane!!! :cool1:

If you want to read about the Westjet Frozen and Magic Planes click HERE:

Rob took a pic...

10.jpg

What an awesome way to start our trip :goodvibes

It was now finally time to board. We were actually an hour delayed but we mostly made up for it in the air because we arrived into MCO only 10 or 15 minutes later than we were supposed to.

19.jpg

11.jpg

It was a beautiful plane!!!

22.jpg

21.jpg

We got settled in for the 5-hour flight...

23.jpg

On the newer planes there's no TV in the seat. You use their app on your own iPad (or you can rent one for $5 I think) and there's tons of movies and tv shows on the app. There's also really great maps to see where you are, not just overhead maps but they also had side and front views so you can see what cities you are close to. So awesome! :worship:

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

I had brought some snacks for us (mostly Kira since she is a snacky kind of girl :p) and I had purchased a sandwich from Wolfgang Puck's grab & go section.

24.jpg

I thought Rob would share it with me but he didn't so I just had 'half a sangwich' :rotfl2: You will have to read my last trippie to get that joke :p

It was actually really good and fresh but I didn't want to eat too much because then I will drink all of my water and I have the world's smallest bladder :rolleyes1

Rob didn't want my half a sangwich because he has invisalign braces and it's such a pain to take them out, brush his teeth and then put them back in. :worried:

Kira tried napping at one point and I think we all had short naps at that point actually because the flight went by fast!

20.jpg

We had begun our descent into Orlando and I loved the scenery outside, these clouds were so big and tall and white and fluffy :lovestruc

25.jpg

I am getting to the image limit for my post so I will end this chapter here
smiley_notebook.gif

Last edited:
I followed your previous one and still haven't gone on my first cruise yet and here you are already on another! :tilt:

I'm here, I'm here!! Nothing makes me happier than reading one of your trip reports!!:sunny: :cloud9: Off to a great start on the Frozen plane!

I'm here! That's so cool you got the Frozen plane!!!! Did they sing Let It Go during take off? The doggies are so cute!

Can't believe how big Kira is now!

Jill in CO

Password located and I'm in for the duration!

:cutie::cutie::cutie:

Day 1 Part 2

Hello Orlando!
flirtysmile3.gif

Hello heat! Hello humidity!!

groooansmileyf.gif

I know, I know! You're thinking to yourself "You're going to Orlando in the summer and you're complaining about the weather?"

Hello, McFly!!!

fryingpan.gif

Okay, well you might as well just get used to me complaining about the heat. If you don't wanna listen to me whine about the heat...do not read then! :tongue:

:rotfl2:

Seriously though. Yes, I know it's summer and I CHOSE to go on this trip. However I did not choose to have Lupus but I am stuck with the bugger and the heat makes me feel extremely :sick::crazy2::faint:

I go to Orlando because I'm a Disney/Universal lover and that's where Disney chose to build their theme parks! Plus my family likes being warm, although I think Kira is following my lead and is starting to have an aversion to being too hot. :scratchin

I am usually pretty good at staying in the A/C or shade and I know my limits and stay within them in order not to end up in the hospital, because that just wouldn't be fun! :rolleyes:

We landed in Orlando, took the faux-monorail to the terminal and waited for our luggage.

29.jpg

Since I used the Alamo online check-in, we headed straight to the garage, found the SUV aisle and picked out our vehicle. We had a Nissan Murano on our last trip and that worked out very nicely for us so we decided to grab another one. :D

30.jpg

Started the A/C as fast as humanly possible, put it on turbo mode and then drove over to Cabana Bay.

31.jpg

I had stayed here last year with my buddy Jen and I couldn't wait to get back! I love this place! I could spend a week here and not even go to the parks and I would be happy!

Kira joined me for check-in while Rob waited for us just outside, still in the car.

32.jpg

It was a long line to check-in but we were just so excited to be here, it went by quickly :cool1:

33.jpg

I had booked us a Volcano Bay view room so I knew we would be in the new Beachside Tower. It is really far down, away from the main lobby but I didn't care, I wanted to see the new tower and the new park.

Originally, we were going to do Volcano Bay but after reading too many bad reports about it and realizing that I wouldn't be able to be out in the heat, waiting in all of those lines, I changed the plans!

We parked down near the tower and rolled our bags over and then checked out our room for the next 2 nights.

49.jpg

This was a regular room, not a suite but it had more room than the older rooms because of the shape of the tower. Plenty big enough for the three of us :thumbsup2

35.jpg

34.jpg

43.jpg

38.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

And of course, Kira needed to test out our beds. I wonder how old she will be when she no longer feels the need to do this? :rotfl2:

41.jpg

And the VERY VERY VERY best part of our room....

42.jpg

loveshower.gif

Holy Toledo, there's a Volcano in our back yard!!! :woohoo:

While we were all sad that we weren't going to be enjoying this park this trip, it sure was nice to have such a tremendous view of it!

By now, we were just about to starve to death so we walked over to the main building to eat at Bayliner Diner.

Boy, that was a long walk :scared1:

I got smart though and eventually I started walking in the hallway so I could stay cool. It actually didn't feel that hot out that night (comparatively speaking :p) and it was the first time Rob and Kira were seeing the resort so I didn't mind.

Kira got the chicken strips, which were quite marvelous actually. She even insisted I take a bite just to see how good they were :rotfl2:

45.jpg

Rob wasn't sure what to get and he ended up ordering the Baja chicken burger, which I didn't think was a great choice for him but that's what he said he wanted!

44.jpg

He said it was alright but I had to flip him my tomato/lettuce/onion because he doesn't like guacamole.

I had me a burger and boy was it ever freakin' good!
futter_smilie_218.gif

Oh and Rob got some Cheesecak to share :rolleyes2

46.jpg

We also got three refillable cups for our 2-day stay. It's sad that it goes by end of day instead of a 24 hour period but it was still worth it for us. Plus, it also included the Icee machines, so that made my girl very happy! I don't let her have slushies/slurpees at home so this was a nice treat for her.

One of the reasons I booked this hotel (and the next one!) was because it has such a great pool and Kira and I really love our pool time. As much as I love my pool time, I can't really go during the day because it is very hot, crowded and too sunny for me which is why doing pool at night is very important to me and Kira on vacation.

Kira and I were hankering for some pool time so we headed back to our room to change into swimsuits.

47.jpg

Sadly, this was brewing...

48.jpg

We remained hopeful and changed into our suits.

Ohhh but look at this first... :love:

50.jpg

51.jpg

Ooooh and now look at the blue light!! :lovestruc :rotfl2:

52.jpg

Ran back down to the pool but by the time we got there, they had closed it because there was lightning in the area :sad::sad::sad:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Last edited:
Following!!! yay for another Timon report!!! :flower1::flower1::flower1:

Look at that pool area, that's stunning!!!! Sorry to hear you just missed going in it though:sad2:

Oh my gosh, that view of Volcano Bay!!! It's more beautiful than I expected! I'm a big fan of Cabana Bay too!! I'm rotating through the Universal hotels, but I will be back!! Your pics make we want to return NOW! lol

Holy cow! What a view from your room! I'm got to get back to Universal some of these days.

Jill in CO

I love your trip reports.:yay:
We want to take the cruise you are going on in this report for our next trip after Panama in 2018.
I can't wait to read your report. And please keep on telling it like it is:D

I love your reports!

For delayed flights, YYC sends out their YYC pals, which is such an amazing idea, really!
That is an awesome idea! It would definitely relax me.

While we were waiting, Rob found out that we were going to be flying on the Frozen Plane!!!
How cute! I remember being so excited to fly on the Shamu plane many years ago. It wasn't themed inside though.

It's a bit of extra money but it sure beats bothering someone to drop us off and pick us up!
I also pay for parking. However it's because my husband is always late picking us up and trying to deal with luggage and a crabby kid is more than I can handle after a long day of travel. You'd think after living here his whole life he'd know that it takes 30-40 minutes to get to the airport not 20. o_O

It was neat to see where I live on your flight map. Go Macon.

I followed your previous one and still haven't gone on my first cruise yet and here you are already on another! :tilt:

LOL, I know, right? :rolleyes:

This was totally not planned! I didn't think we would be able to cruise again for a year or more! This kinda just happened, sometimes you just gotta let life lead you :lovestruc

I'm here, I'm here!! Nothing makes me happier than reading one of your trip reports!!:sunny: :cloud9: Off to a great start on the Frozen plane!

Yay! You found it really fast too, I am impressed :worship: :hug:

I'm here! That's so cool you got the Frozen plane!!!! Did they sing Let It Go during take off? The doggies are so cute!

Can't believe how big Kira is now!

Jill in CO

Glad you made it :cool1:

Ha! No, but that would have been funny :rotfl2:

Yes, she is growing like a weed now :rotfl:

And I am of course joining in!!!!!!

:banana: Bop Bop's in da house!

Password located and I'm in for the duration!

:cutie::cutie::cutie:

Yay!!! :woohoo:

Following!!! yay for another Timon report!!! :flower1::flower1::flower1:

Look at that pool area, that's stunning!!!! Sorry to hear you just missed going in it though:sad2:

Glad you made it my fellow Canadian :flower: Oh my gosh, I don't think I ever finished reading your trippie! I think I got sideswiped planning this trip and forgot to finish! :oops:

Oh my gosh, that view of Volcano Bay!!! It's more beautiful than I expected! I'm a big fan of Cabana Bay too!! I'm rotating through the Universal hotels, but I will be back!! Your pics make we want to return NOW! lol

Isn't it beautiful??? :cloud9:

Yes, you must get back! Heck, my pics make ME wanna go back already :P

Holy cow! What a view from your room! I'm got to get back to Universal some of these days.

Jill in CO

Yes, you must go! Such a fun place :goodvibes

I love your trip reports.:yay:
We want to take the cruise you are going on in this report for our next trip after Panama in 2018.
I can't wait to read your report. And please keep on telling it like it is:D

Oooh Panama!! Bucket list item for sure!!! :love: How exciting!

I love your reports!

That is an awesome idea! It would definitely relax me.

How cute! I remember being so excited to fly on the Shamu plane many years ago. It wasn't themed inside though.

I also pay for parking. However it's because my husband is always late picking us up and trying to deal with luggage and a crabby kid is more than I can handle after a long day of travel. You'd think after living here his whole life he'd know that it takes 30-40 minutes to get to the airport not 20. o_O

The dog definitely helped us forget about the delay :rolleyes:

Shamu plane? How cool!

HAHAHA! Too funny! :rotfl2:

How did I not connect that you are the Cass from her reports? I'm slow.

HAHAHA! Yup, that's me from my girl's trippies ::yes::

She was on this cruise with me too :D :thumbsup2

Looking forward to read your TR!

Thanks for joining in :goodvibes

It was neat to see where I live on your flight map. Go Macon.

Hello, Macon! :wave2:

I love this quote.....because I live near Toledo! hahahaha

You had such a gorgeous view

I say that a lot when Kira is around and other things when she's not :p

Last edited:
Day 1, Part 3

We walked by the closed pool...boy was that rough :sad1:

Since we were down here, might as well go explore the resort a little since Rob hadn't even seen the lobby yet.

53.jpg

It sure is a beautiful place, especially at night!

56.jpg

55.jpg

Passing the Bayliner Diner where we had just eaten dinner...

57.jpg

We checked out the shop and the lobby then went over to look at the Courtyard pool.

58.jpg

We watched the gorgeous light show coming right for us for a bit and then headed back to our tower, which is quite the walk! :rolleyes:

Steps away from our tower, it started to rain. I wanted to chill for a bit and watch all of the lightning so I hung out at the edge of the cover that the tower provided for a bit while Rob and Kira went up to the room.

59.jpg

I almost forgot how big the rain is in Orlando. :lovestruc

60.jpg

Sounds weird but this was one of the best moments of the trip for me. I LOVE rain and storms and being alone and this was the perfect combination of all of that :p :love:

The lightning was just amazing and I was wishing my friend Nancy was there to enjoy it with me :cloud9:

I lingered for a bit and then made my way up to the 9th floor and saw this, which I thought made for an awesome photo...

61.jpg

My family also enjoys storms and they were enjoying it from behind those massive windows.

The lights on the tower gave us a neat perspective.

54.jpg

And then I took this neat pic...

62.jpg

I had posted this photo on my Facebook page and the next day, my ridiculously talented friend Dean posted this on my Timeline...

63.jpg

He added my favourite villain, Chernabog to it and made it a billion times better :worship::love:

Some people just have way too much talent :rolleyes:

I think Kira took a bath or shower and then passed right out!

64.jpg

I enjoyed the view a little longer and then finally hit the hay myself. :faint:

It was a long but very exciting day.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!