Castaway Cay challenge question

ScooterScott44

DIS Veteran
Wanted to see if someone could share some details about the logistics of the challenge 5k. I am not overly concerned about the race itself, just want to get a better understanding since I saw some old posts that say you get off the ship a little earlier than the typical 5k at Castaway Cay. So mostly looking for the times, how early do you have to report/check in and how early do things get started.

Have done plenty of the normal 5k’s on the island and the family has all done a number of Disney races before but it isn’t always super easy to get DS up and going early in the AM. Also I’ll be coming off of a Dopey weekend (have done 15 WDW marathons with 13 being goofy’s) so I am not looking forward to getting up too early for that one final race.

Thanks in advance for any info.

You are correct that the challenge 5k does start earlier. I looked back at my watch data and it says we started the race at 7am. This was two years ago so theme could change. I can’t remember how early we had to meet up but I am guessing around 6am or so that they wanted us in the theater to separate us into our corrals. It takes awhile to get everyone out of the theater, off the ship, and walking to the race start. It is an early wake up but not as early as having to get up for a race on property though.

Looking at the final race instructions brochure we were given for this years race, everyone had to be at the theater by 5:45 this included spectators. We left the theater by corrals and walked out to the start. The race started at 7:00. The best tip I have is take your phone or something that has a light, it can be very dark in places during the walk out.

Thanks! Glad to hear it is not like getting up at 3:30 to make it to the 5:30 start. But it earlier than I would have liked. As I read the responses to DW and she said maybe we’ll neee another cruise to relax.

So, Perfectly Goofy! So is DH. Wonder, how many of you are left?
Thanks for noticing. The numbers are decreasing for sure. After 10 there was a decrease, and I have at least 3 friends that broke the streak there. Sad to say another friend that was perfect passed away last month so one more out for a much sadder reason.

Good luck to him for one more year.

Good luck to you, too. He is abandoning his perfect Dopey this year (I’ve done two), but keeping his Goofy alive. Then he says he will do 2020 Goofy and quit after 15. This year’s Goofy will probably be my last marathon.

In 2015 (inaugural year) we were docked by midnight and it was dark when we got off the ship.

I had no interest in having my family come off the ship with me, so they stayed and slept.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!