Catching Up w/Friends at DLR - June 2003 - Part 2

JenniBarra

Mouseketeer
Thursday, June 5

On this morning, we had really expected that when we opened our interior door, we would find Chris sitting on his bed, twiddling his thumbs, waiting for us. (He had expressed interest at being at Disneyland right at the opening of the park, so everyone set their respective alarms to be ready for breakfast by a specific time.) It ends up we were the ones knocking on their door, catching Chris in the middle of shaving. ; )

Over breakfast, I asked if they would be interested in dining at the Blue Bayou. They said, yes, they were very interested and up to having some of the Monte Cristos they’d heard so much about all over the place. The plan was that, once the line was dropped on Main Street, Keith would dart ahead to make reservations for lunch and we would meet up with him outside Indy.

As we were headed to Indy, a security guard saw our LP buttons and asked if there was some kind of Laughing Place event taking place in the park as he’d seen lots of buttons already (and this was within only about five minutes of the park opening!) We had our eyes peeled for fellow LP’ers, but it ends up that the only LP’ers we encountered on this day were CMs who spied our buttons.

Once in the Indy queue, Keith had fun playing up the effects like the pole in the spike room. People going by us in line probably thought we were crazy to be stepping aside once we just got past the projection room, but I was taking time out to point out the hidden Eeyore. (With it so dark and having no flashlight, it was a bit challenging giving directions, but Chris filmed with the infrared on his camera and Eeyore was quite visible in the footage.) I had also mentioned “Bones” and how I had yet to spot him myself, but that I keep trying. (When we went again a second time later, I think I finally spotted him!)

The ride was great, as always, but I felt bummed for Chandra with it being her first time and having the music off in both the rodent room and dart room. She didn’t seem to mind, though, since it can be hard to miss something that you’ve never experienced before. This ended up also happening on the second trip, so Keith spoke with a CM. According to the CM, they’ve been doing some experimentation with the sound on some of the ride vehicles in anticipation of plans for the 50th. Knowing how the rumor mill goes, I think I’ll wait and believe they’re doing work on Indy for the big birthday when I see it! (I also know that the rumor mill was saying that it’s clear work is being done to bring the subs back in some form, but what we saw was still looked like a whole lot of dead real estate…)

We visited a lot of the classics today, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and Fantasyland. (At Toad, we encountered a CM named Ruben who commented on Keith’s LP button, but the exchange took place while we were loading, so we barely had time to mention the meet, let alone find out what he posts as.)

Keith hadn’t consulted in regard to a lunch time, so we were all starving by the time 1:40 rolled around! Chris and Chandra were suitably impressed. : ) While I think Monte Cristos are great, they’re too rich for me, but everyone else had one. (And as if that wasn’t enough food already, the guys were having what appeared to be a bread eating contest!) Chandra opted out of a mint julep, but Chris asked to taste mine, just to verify that he remembered it as being “okay” and tasting like gum! (He revised his description to mouthwash.)

We headed over to DCA later in the afternoon. Our intent was to catch the last show of “Aladdin.” It was nice of Chris and Chandra to want to repeat the experience with us, since we had yet to see the show ourselves. While waiting to be let in, another CM spotted the LP buttons and she said she posted sometimes as Bug. To further prove what a small world it is, somehow it came up that we’re from Sacramento and that her sister lives within a few miles of us! (Not that we know her sister, but we recognized the street name mentioned.)

The show itself was great. I was glad to see that they contemporarized Genie’s dialogue and Chris later told me that they must let the actor playing the Genie adlib somewhat because the actor from the last show the previous day had quite different jokes. The actor playing Aladdin had a great voice for the role, the same sort of young almost adolescent quality that the original film actor had. And, of course, the special effects were quite cool! : )

After the show, we had just enough time to take one trip on Soarin’ Over California. While we were bummed that we arrived too late in Anaheim on Wednesday to accompany Chris and Chandra on their very first visit, we had opportunity to tell them about a couple of small details to look for on their second trip.

Back in Disneyland after DCA closed, I asked to make a quick trip to Disney Showcase to check out the passholder merchandise. There, I experienced something I had not observed before. Usually, we’re either not around when the evening flag ceremony takes place or we’re in a completely different spot in the park. We hadn’t looked at the schedule to know when it was taking place, but I then knew when it began because, in the middle of my transaction with a CM, all of the CMs in the store stopped whatever they were doing and turned to face the flag quietly.

We played some more in the park, ending the day with food in Downtown Disney and a trip to World of Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter