cell phone insurance

trenty

DIS Veteran
Who is everyone using for cell phone insurance? I usually use Square Trade but not reading good things about them since Allstate (I think) took them over. Would rather not get the insurance from my carrier since that adds to my monthly bill. Any recommendations?

Square Trade just replaced my phone when it quit recharging fast enough after one year of use. I didn't expect them to do that, but was pleased that they did.

I actually dumped cell phone insurance completely and my cell phones are covered under the Electronics rider of my renter's insurance policy. We needed the Electronics rider anyway (my husband is a graphic designer so we some expensive equipment for him), and my policy included coverage for any smart devices we owned (smartphones, Smart TV, etc). the deductible was exactly the same as the insurance through the carrier ($100). I actually had to use it last year (we were at my kids' soccer game, and the dog yanked on his leash while I was checking a message, the phone landed on concrete and shattered the screen). This was on a Saturday, they sent me a check for the replacement phone within 2 business days. And my premium did not change when I renewed just because I had a claim on the phone. It's worth asking your renters/homeowners insurance about! The cost difference alone (the cell phone insurance on 2 phones for the year was more than my whole renter's insurance policy) made it worthwhile.

Square Trade just replaced my phone when it quit recharging fast enough after one year of use. I didn't expect them to do that, but was pleased that they did.
Thanks. I just checked them a little while ago. It seems as if they only have plans with monthly payments. Last time I purchased insurance with them I paid a one time fee dor three years of insurance. Was hoping to find something similar, but if not I will look into them again.

I actually dumped cell phone insurance completely and my cell phones are covered under the Electronics rider of my renter's insurance policy. We needed the Electronics rider anyway (my husband is a graphic designer so we some expensive equipment for him), and my policy included coverage for any smart devices we owned (smartphones, Smart TV, etc). the deductible was exactly the same as the insurance through the carrier ($100). I actually had to use it last year (we were at my kids' soccer game, and the dog yanked on his leash while I was checking a message, the phone landed on concrete and shattered the screen). This was on a Saturday, they sent me a check for the replacement phone within 2 business days. And my premium did not change when I renewed just because I had a claim on the phone. It's worth asking your renters/homeowners insurance about! The cost difference alone (the cell phone insurance on 2 phones for the year was more than my whole renter's insurance policy) made it worthwhile.
I hadn't thought of this. Thanks. I will look into it.

I used to pay for insurance through my cellphone provider but I hadn’t used it since back when I had a flip phone pre 2008 and they were so easily prone to water damage. When I switched to the iPhone upgrade program in 2017 I dropped the carrier insurance.

I'm also in the camp of "put it in a good case, and that's all the insurance you need".

Insurance -- all insurance -- favors the insurance company, not the insured. What does phone insurance cost? $6-12/month? So over the course of a 24-month ownership period, that insurance costs $144-288 -- and then you have a deductible? Outrageous. You say you don't always have money to replace a phone RIGHT THIS MINUTE? If you ruin your phone, you probably have an old phone in your drawer, right? Move your service back to that phone. Put that into the bank instead, so it belongs to YOU.

I'm also in the camp of "put it in a good case, and that's all the insurance you need".

Insurance -- all insurance -- favors the insurance company, not the insured. What does phone insurance cost? $6-12/month? So over the course of a 24-month ownership period, that insurance costs $144-288 -- and then you have a deductible? Outrageous. You say you don't always have money to replace a phone RIGHT THIS MINUTE? If you ruin your phone, you probably have an old phone in your drawer, right? Move your service back to that phone. Put that into the bank instead, so it belongs to YOU.

This is why we went with the Electronics rider through my renters insurance. I need the renters insurance regardless, and my policy WITH the electronics rider is less than the cost of insurance through the carrier (I want to say the rider added like $20 or $30 total to the policy cost). Plus it covers ALL of our smart/computing devices in the house - all 3 laptops, the desktop, and the smart TV. Well worth it.

check with your bank, our bank gives us insurance on everything we buy on our debit card, I know a lot of CC companies do it as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter