Chances of getting AAP at Universal/IOA

summy32

Earning My Ears
We are going to Universal in November. We plan on going to the parks 11/27 & 11/28. I am reading different places that Universal is not giving out AAP's as easily and they are hard to get. Our son is 18 and severely autistic as well as nonverbal with OCD tendencies. I realize it is not the diagnosis but his needs that will determine if he gets a pass or not.

Waiting in lines becomes a problem when he gets frustrated and bites himself, has tantrums/meltdown, touches other people and things over and over because of the close proximity. He needs to be constantly busy, moving. Otherwise he would pace back and forth and doesn't understand staying in his space/getting in others personal space. We use a wheelchair because of his toe walking that over the years has caused his walking to become unstable. This helps a little with crowds, but he needs to keep moving and after awhile becomes frustrated. We can usually help him through this/distract for 10-15 minutes. I contacted Universal and got a canned answer to visit Guest Services.

The crowd calendars show 5/10(Undercover Tourist) and Slow(Orlando Informer), however I understand some rides could still have 45+ minutes wait during these times. We last went in 2014, but stayed at Royal Pacific which gave us Express passes. We are staying at Cabana Bay this time because of the cost, so no Express.

I was wondering if anyone has had problems getting the pass recently or been able to get it for cognitive issues.

it would probably be better to get express pass. or create a buffer zone between him and the rest of the line.

We have two kids with various medical problems and ine with high functiining autism, and were denied the pass. When we went their solution was they had a special room for my daughter to wait in, near the fronr od the line.There was room to move about and in theory it could have been a quiet place but the reality was there were several kids already there who were upset, and their crying set my daughter off. So it did not work for us. We did not go back and ask for the pass again, maybe it would have helped if we tried their solution then went back to explain why that failed. But we were all so stressed out and miserable, it was easier just to leave.

Did you explain the problems that standing in line would cause? I'm sure you did. I know people say you can't just give a diagnosis, to be specific. It just seems to be hit or miss. The solution of waiting in a room with other kids would set my son off as well. I know all too well the feeling of giving up because you are just too stressed and exhausted from everything. I am looking into getting a throwaway room at Royal Pacific for the express passes. But I can think of so many more things to use that money for! He loves pretty much every ride we have ever gone on, so I want to do whatever we can to make it as stress free as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter